Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Aston Hill Surface to Air visit (and vid)
  • hughjayteens
    Free Member

Went to Aston yesterday to give the new run a try – it was fantastic. Lived up to expectations I think although the surface obviously needs some more time to settle and bed in as it was very greasy in places and the berms are very bumpy (as seen in the footage). Didn’t try the big step up jumps as the runs into them were very draggy and even the very quick boys seemed to be struggling to get enough speed to get up them.

The steps were a little daunting (very steep) on first look but were fine once you rode them and the big drop near the end was much the same – didn’t ride it on my first run but watched a few others guys sail off so thought we may as well try it – it is so well designed and built that it really does just flow.

Thinking of a night session there this week with lights – could be interesting!

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQ4gF8Gk0a4&hd=1[/video]

Great work by the dig team – it really is one of the most fun trails I have ridden in this country.

eightyeight
    Free Member

Looks wicked. Nice vid too

theroadwarrior
    Free Member

It’s a great place! I’ve not done the big drop yet- eek!

Love the steps- as you say, on first viewing very steep but when you ride them it’s a blast.

Still love DH3 and the red DH- rooty fun!

zerocool

Looks like a fun trail, should be awesome once everywhere dries out.

On a slightly different note with GoPros, is it possible to turn the sound off while recording? This isn’t aimed at you or any form of criticism, but every home made GPPro video I see has someone mumbling to themselves or breathing hard (especially enduro vids) and I just wondered why people don’t turn the mic off.

Trails look nice and you all seem to be having a great time

Tom KP

hughjayteens
    Free Member

Zerocool – I don’t think you can sadly but I could’ve just omitted when editing or had YouTube overlay so rights free music.

I have done that before but found it then felt very lifeless and un-atmospheric although I agree that mumbling and gasping for breath is probably not the best soundtrack! Will see what music YouTube have to offer..

Theroadwarrior – I honestly think the big drop is easier than the steps, but pyschologically it feels worse. It is so smooth and unless you grab the brakes, the speed from rolling in from the berm is almost enough. Feels much nicer with a bit more speed through as the landing feels smoother. I wouldn’t usually have thought I’d do it but once my mate did I just had to!!

eightyeight
    Free Member

Would it be worth going to Aston with something all mountain (thinking Zesty / Boardman FS) or do you really need a full DH rig?

Cheers

iridebikes
    Free Member

nah, a zesty will be fine.

superfli
    Free Member

Aston was fine on a 120mm stumpy when I last went, although that was about 1 year ago so not seen this new trail. It does look good, thnik I’ll take a visit next spring

fd3chris
    Free Member

Good video 🙂 I only live 25 mins from it so I think it’s time I visited !

hughjayteens
    Free Member

I was on a 165mm ML8 and my mates were both on 160mm Ransoms. Some guys were doing the same stuff on 200mm DH rigs and a couple of guys were on hardtails!

I’d say a 150mm ish AM/Trail bike is perfect for everything there – am unsure any of it would be faster on a proper DH rig (unless you are a racer)

eightyeight
    Free Member

Well i’ve got 130mm to play with so will give it a go! Thanks

bwaarp
    Free Member

Big drop? 👿 Nice vid though and some good riding…..now go and do a bigger drop…once you’ve got to that height they are all the same! 🙂

hughjayteens
    Free Member

I guess the definition of BIG is always relative but it was the biggest there and the biggest I have ever done! Was remarkably smooth and easy to do and I was going much faster and further after half a dozen runs.

There’s a bigger one at Chicksands I’ve has my eye on – people always seem to land much heavier on that though so maybe its a flatter transition.

nwill1
    Free Member

Awsome some some amazing vids on PB too, the one that made VOD is very good. I’d love to hit that course up on the Blender but its a bit far from me.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

I guess the definition of BIG is always relative but it was the biggest there and the biggest I have ever done! Was remarkably smooth and easy to do and I was going much faster and further after half a dozen runs.

There’s a bigger one at Chicksands I’ve has my eye on – people always seem to land much heavier on that though so maybe its a flatter transition.

Once you’ve done one fairly big drop the sky becomes the limit. You realise how easy they are to do. Doesn’t make it any less satisfying or fun to show off to your mates who “wouldn’t dare do a drop”.

theroadwarrior
    Free Member

The thing I found with the big drop was that unless you made the step up jump before it (which is hard at the moment due to the soft course) I was going too slow and was not confident of making the landing of the drop- so I’ve always taken the slalom alternative with the smaller drop.

bigad40
    Free Member

I like it!
    Cool video.
    Haven’t been to Aston Hill for years.
    Looks like I have to change that now.

hughjayteens
    Free Member

theroadwarrior – Member

The thing I found with the big drop was that unless you made the step up jump before it (which is hard at the moment due to the soft course) I was going too slow and was not confident of making the landing of the drop- so I’ve always taken the slalom alternative with the smaller drop.

I don’t think anyone was doing the step up on Sunday as it was too slow – genuinely the drop can be taken at about 7 or 8 mph (as seen on my video of our first attempts) but is more fun with a smoother landing if you do a couple of pedal strokes beforehand so are probably at 12-13mph. Unless you braked before launch I think you’d be fine almost just freewheeling from the top of the berm.

chiefgrooveguru

That looks great and that drop looks big to me (was sessioning a much smaller one at the weekend). I’m sure that once your drop technique is properly dialled (fast/slow, sending/squashing, front first / rear first / both together) then the height becomes almost irrelevant (if the landing transition isn’t too harsh) but it takes some skill and confidence to get there!

hughjayteens
    Free Member

I think the transition is the key – I’ve done smaller ones than that before which felt massive as the landing was much flatter. This one just seemed to smoothly rocket you down the slope which was great fun! Looking at the fly over clip I’d reckon we were probably flying 12feet or so and it felt like nothing.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Aston Hill Surface to Air visit (and vid)’ is closed to new replies.