Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Aston Hill runs on 6 inch travel bike
  • dafoxster
    Free Member

Some friends are heading to Aston Hill this weekend on their DH bikes. I may go along and ride the XC loop but which of the DH runs are comfortable on a 6 inch travel All Mountain rig?

Green

All of them

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

DH3 will be fine, DH4 a bit less so but I reckon it should be ok. All depends on your skill level really! The XC Red Run downhill is really good fun though, definitely worth repeated runs.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

I used to race there when I still had a 4 inch ttravel bike.
    You’ll be fine.

juiced
    Free Member

fine. don’t forget the 4x. always good for a warm up.

soobalias
    Free Member

if you are fit, you can ride back up the xc, turn right at the bottom, rather than push up the path

personally i only manage that once per visit.

not been there recently, check out thier website for notes on current work/routes

jhw
    Free Member

Seriously?

6″ is fine

But ride back up the climb won’t you. It’s eminently rideable. I don’t understand why everyone pushes. It’s a 10 minute climb on my 31 lb 6″ bike with a coil shock, wearing pads and a full face on my back.

specialknees
    Free Member

You are asking if DH is comfortable.?

It would be mildly so if you can levitate.!

xiphon
    Free Member

Used to be a regular on the Hill on a Pitch.

Six inches is plenty.

retro83
    Free Member

I did the black run once on my RC405 after missing the turn for the red, mate follow me on an Orange Crush and didn’t die either.
    It’s more about technique than travel really, though I lacked that too really 🙂 Good fun.

br
    Free Member

And it will be slippery…, as in claggy as hell.

tony24
    Free Member

You will be more than fine its fine on a hardtail tbh my dad was riding it with me on a focus fatboy 🙂

dafoxster
    Free Member

I suppose I asked for some of those comments:)

It sounds like I won’t die anyway. I’ve ridden some DH tracks at FOD on a 120mm bike and survived so I’ll give these ago.

Thanks

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Done it on my BFe a few imes, although the uzzi was faster.

if it’s anything other than bone dry a)unless you have mud tyres expect to spend a lot of time on your arse/face b)expect cleaning the bike to take quite some time…

Dickyboy

Avoid the short bit of boarding on the XC loop if its at all damp – worse than black ice

kimbers

6 inches is plenty

mud tyres only its gonna rain saturday afternoon, evening

im hoping to get a morning there on sunday better get the swamp things out!

black run race on 5 inches fom a few years back

chakaping
    Free Member

I don’t understand why everyone pushes.

Because it’s a footpath and you are not allowed to ride up.

I didn’t realise that either until I was told by one of the committee members.

supersaiyan
    Free Member

All the races i’ve been to there have hardtail categories so i’m sure you’ll be fine, just don’t go 100% on your first run.

eyerideit
    Free Member

I did the xc loop with PC31s and V brakes and a couple of the easier DH routes. It was hard work but I survived it.

jhw
    Free Member

Because it’s a footpath

Oh.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Yep, plenty of rain forecast for the afternoon. Will be slippier than a lubricated banana skin on sheet ice.

Enjoy!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Aston Hill runs on 6 inch travel bike’ is closed to new replies.