Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Aston Hill
  • rocky-mountain
    Free Member

hi,
    our band of desparadoes are planning on a ride at aston hill, the xc route to start with.

level of skill is varied as is equipment from fully rigid to fully suspended. however we have been riding through the winter like some of sunday cult.

so; whats it like, what tyres work best, whats the best time to go?

i dropped by some years ago to have a quick look, and having done the 42nd traverse and other trail centres in NZ thought this is the closest i have seen to it.

cheers

hey rocky mountain,

You will have a great time but I absolutely recommend avoiding it unless its dry. It really is very slippery, LIKE FREAKIN ICE!

Thats not to say you cant ride it in the wet but in my opinion its not worth the trip!

when its dry you can really rip it and its loads and loads of fun!! I would save it for the spring and summer!!!

Nick

rocky-mountain
    Free Member

well, been riding on ice, snow and mud; no change then.
    looks like the chalk surface will a be akin to slickrock, plus roots.

br
    Free Member

If its rained the week before, I wouldn’t bother.

There are lots of singletrack all around the Chilterns.

And Mud X’s work well.

Not trying to be negative, just my opinion that I would head somewhere else if its been wet and you have other alterntatives! You will be able to ride it and have a good time, it just really changes in the wet, and compared to the dry its a totally different place!!

Stopadoodledoo
    Free Member

NickyB is right; it’s a nightmare in the wet and you’ll end up on your backside, even if you are a desperado 😀

Fantastic place in the dry, okay if it’s slightly damp but when it’s been raining for a few days, it is not worth going unless you are a very talented rider, have a deathwish, or like crashing a lot.

Trimix
    Free Member

In case you were not sure from the previous posts………dont go there if its been wet in the previous week/month.

chakaping
    Free Member

What they say is true, but do it anyway!

Went there after a long spell of rain for the first time when I got my first big bike and wanted to go and ride some DH tracks.

Can’t say I stayed on the bike or enjoyed it that much – but at least no mud has ever seemed very slippery since.

Diane
    Free Member

Slippy? I got the biggest bruise from there (A few years ago – didn’t know what I was doing) it covered about a third of my body! Is like ice when wet 😀

SamB
    Free Member

Was up there yesterday on high rollers – at the end of each run my tire was one big slick. Definitely need spikes and lots of skill if it has been raining recently, if it’s dry then it’s much easier and more enjoyable.

cookeaa

poor drainge with the chalk base, very clay type mud, steep trails… It’s/ DH riding for those who are looking to get better in the wet. armour up, pace yourself, read the trails.

Personally I find DH4 (especially the top half) seems to be the least slippy in the wet….

rocky-mountain
    Free Member

in terms of the xc route, whats that like?

i am riding a 1 x9 with a 36 front tooth. do i need to put a granny on?

i am looking at some spiky mud type tyres anyway, my advantages are slipping a wee bit too much

should be fun; whats the best time to kick off?

txr301
    Free Member

Haha, HighRollers at Aston in the wet are a nightmare – I know exactly what Sam means about the ‘slick’ at the end of the run; they bind all of the mud and you literally can’t even see the tread.

Swampthings are good though, DH3 is easily doable with mud tyres even after heavy rain.

4-2-3 is also good fun in the wet if you like throwing the rear-end around.

soobalias
    Free Member

xc is a nice loop, if you clean the climb back up from the bottom on a 36t you are very fit

expect roots, mud, chalk, just like the dh tracks but slightly less vertical. not suitable for novices imo.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Aston Hill in dry, dusty conditions is an absolute hoot IMHO.

If it is ever so slightly damp, it’s a cruel mistress, even when running Minions/High Rollers. Not much is as slipperier than damp chalk, except damp chalk with a layer of algae on it. Aston Hill has both.

kimbers

aston in the dry is indeed awesome

if you can ride it in the wet you can ride anywhere

as said armour up, swamp things or possibly dirty dan/ wet screams

it is more of a dh thing

rocky-mountain
    Free Member

hi,
    cheers; sow hats the xc like? need the same tyres?

also how busy does it get and whats the best days?

soobalias
    Free Member

soobalias – Member

xc is a nice loop, if you clean the climb back up from the bottom on a 36t you are very fit

expect roots, mud, chalk, just like the dh tracks but slightly less vertical. not suitable for novices imo.

given recent weather conditions, expect mud.

solamanda
    Free Member

The xc run is the hardest in the wet. The steeper runs drain better and allow you to maintain momentum over the wet roots much better but if you get it wrong, it goes spectacularly wrong.

rocky-mountain
    Free Member

36 t is proving a bit of a challenge through the winter, i am going to chuck a granny on.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Aston Hill’ is closed to new replies.