Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Asthma sufferers…
  • elzorillo
    Free Member

Ok so I’ve never in my life suffered from hayfever, asthma or allergies etc (I’m 52)

But recently.. over the last couple of winters, I’ve had this ‘thing’ starting around October. Itchy, puffy eye & a sniffle. etc It’s usually gone by spring.

BUT.. the last couple of years I’ve also had this breathing problem. It bizarrely only affects me when I go from warm air to cold air. My throat seems to like close up. I have to really put effort into breathing in, as if my throat or upper chest has narrowed substantially. So much so that it’s an effort to inhale. The chest sounds very wheezy and it lasts for about 15/20 minutes. I notice it especially at bed time.. I like a cold bedroom and have the window open. As soon as I open the window and the cold air comes in, my chest tightens and for the next quarter of an hour or so it’s real uncomfortable to breath/listen too.

Now the nhs is a shambles.. dr appointment takes about 10 days to 2 weeks and to be truthful, once it’s settled down I forget about it so I’d rather not bother them nore inconvenience myself.

So.. asthma sufferers of single track.. I wont hold you to it, but does this sound like asthma to you???

Gary_M
    Free Member

as if my throat or upper chest has narrowed substantially. So much so that it’s an effort to inhale.

When you have an asthma attack you don’t feel as if your throat is closing, for me it’s all about my chest feeling really heavy. Although it’s a long time since I’ve had an attack.

The chest sounds very wheezy and it lasts for about 15/20 minutes

The first bit sounds like asthma but the fact that it gets better after 15-20 minutes doesn’t, not in my experience anyway.

bigdaddy

Indeed it does – I’ve had it all my life. It doesn’t really affect me much as it’s well controlled, but the Autumn is my worst season.

My experience of the NHS is different – regular 6 month asthma checks and I’m very well looked after. Go and talk to the Asthma nurse…

GrahamS

Yep sounds like asthma to me.

I’m a mild asthmatic (mainly triggered by allergies) and the most common feeling I get is being conscious of my breathing and feeling like I have to put a bit more effort in to get a full breath. Quick puff on the inhaler and it is right as rain.

elzorillo
    Free Member

Yeah.. not so much my throat.. lower than that, sort of upper chest. and yeah, it just gradually goes away after about 15 mins.. all very consistent.. even the fact it always starts in October.

martinhutch

Perhaps. Cold air is certainly a potential trigger.

See your GP. It may not be bothering you all that much, but if it’s poorly managed, you may be more vulnerable to other stuff.

Re: October itch. One possibility could be mould spore caused by lack of ventilation/increase in humidity as you crank up the heating and close windows. Or just that you’re sensitive to changes in temperature and humidity.

elzorillo
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice Singletrackians :mrgreen:

GrahamS

My experience of the NHS is different – regular 6 month asthma checks and I’m very well looked after.

Diagnosed in about 2004. Barely mentioned since, except the odd “it says here you are asthmatic” when I’m in for other stuff.

Bought my own peak flow meter to keep an eye on it at home.

ahwiles
    Free Member

ianad, but i am asthmatic.

it certainly sounds like it *could* be asthma…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Asthma sufferers…’ is closed to new replies.