Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • Assange case gets seriously weird
  • Pigface
    Free Member

Trying to get political asylum in Ecuador 😯 What madness is this.

Junkyard
    Free Member

i know it not like he is being persecuted for political reasons now is it 😕

Strange choice though.

project
    Free Member

RT.COM are really running with the story,there are more twists than a soap story line.

donsimon
    Free Member
    ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Strange choice though.

Good choice imo. The Ecuadorian President has a healthy contempt for the gringos.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Strange choice though.

Assange is not stupid there will be a good reason behind choosing Ecuador.

druidh
    Free Member

TheBrick – Member
    Assange is not stupid there will be a good reason behind choosing Ecuador.

Aye – that’ll be that the Ecuador foreign minister offered him asylum in 2010.

toys19
    Free Member

Just looking for a way out I guess.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

If I understand right what he is accused of is not a crime here. She is claiming she only slept with him under false pretences not under duress.

Stoner
    Free Member

If I understand right what he is accused of is not a crime here

the extradition court decided that the crime he is charged with is equivalent enough to a UK law to warrant extradition. I reckon they probably have a better handle on the relevant law than even you TJ.

bwaarp
    Free Member

If I understand right what he is accused of is not a crime here. She is claiming she only slept with him under false pretences not under duress.

Can women be prosecuted for wearing push up bras in Sweden then? If not, they should be.

druidh
    Free Member

I don’t think the issue is what is happening in Sweden (where he he hasn’t actually been charged with anything yet). He is concerned that the Swedes will simply ship him off to the US where he could face the death sentence for releasing secret information about the US Government.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Indeed.

totalshell

what i cant grasp is why he fears that sweden is more likely to ship him to the US than the Uk is. with our closer links to the US and proven record of packing folk off I’d have thought he’d be more likely to get shipped off from Blighty.
    and it matters not one jot whether we consider his behaviour okay if its a crime somewhere else ( esp. an established democracy) then he should be made to return and face his accusers after all its not shop lifting they want him for.
    bets part of it all is that smart R’s jemima Khan and her twitteringbuddies will have to stump up the 200k or face jail themselves.. ding dong.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

it matters not one jot whether we consider his behaviour okay if its a crime somewhere else

Of course it does.

Trimix
    Free Member

The US are desperate to put him in jail / execute him for releaing stuff they wish was still a secret.

Dosent matter where he is or what he has done – the US / UK / most countrys will not be able to stop the US grabbing him.

I can see why hes picked asylum with a country that dosent get on with the US. Seem quite a reasonable response to me, given how the US/UK works when it comes to shipping people off to face “justice” in the US.

klumpy
    Free Member

He’s a fantasist, running around the world booking multiple hotels and leaving by the back door, pretending the black helicopters are following him (he’s alive and free, so they’re not).

His operation is so devoid of anything worthwhile to publish they went after an online news source claiming it was really an arm of the CIA (or illuminati, or whatever) because they have (gasp!) contacts and sources all over (gasp!) THE WORLD!

Nevertheless he IS guilty of publishing protectively marked material which he paid people to steal.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

The US are desperate to put him in jail / execute him for releaing stuff they wish was still a secret.

Which has the sum total of **** all to do with the Rape allegations he’s being extradited to Sweden to face.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Nevertheless he IS guilty of publishing protectively marked material which he paid people to steal.

Which has nothing at all to do with the reason he had been bailed awaiting extradition.

MSP

His operation is so devoid of anything worthwhile to publish

Actually he has revealed some good stuff, in itself to laymen like ourselves, we are just swamped with meaningless data, but to journalists, researchers and reporters it provides invaluable data, its just a shame that much of the media is compliant in covering up political mismanagement and corruption.

He may be a bit of a tosser (IMO) but wikileaks has been a good thing.

MrsToast
    Free Member

He’s accused of offences against two different women, and the allegations include him forcibly pinning her down and having sex with her whilst refusing to wear a condom (hence why she repeatedly asked him to have an HIV test, and when he refused she went to the police), and having sex with another whilst she was sleeping.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

the allegations include him forcibly pinning her down and having sex with her

I don’t think the allegation does include that. “Assange is accused of using his body weight to hold her down in a sexual manner”

The charges against Julian Assange: full list

MSP

One of the women admitted to making up the allegations to get back at him when she found out she wasn’t his only lover on her blog, then took it offline when it was pointed out to her about her public admission (it was still available on google cache).

The case was discarded until some electioneering was required.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

The UK cannot extradite to the USA for any crime that has a possible death sentence hence he is safe from extradition to the US. Sweden has no such provision in the law as I understand it.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

which again has noting to do with the allegations he’s facing 😕

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Indeed.

the whole thing is crackers.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Stoner – Member

If I understand right what he is accused of is not a crime here

the extradition court decided that the crime he is charged with is equivalent enough to a UK law to warrant extradition. I reckon they probably have a better handle on the relevant law than even you TJ.

Not tested in court by my understanding

The appeal, which received a great deal of media attention, did not deal with the substance of these allegations. The question for the Court was whether a European Arrest Warrant (EAW) could validly be issued by a public prosecutor

Case Comment: Assange v The Swedish Judicial Authority [2012] UKSC 22

TheFlyingOx

and it matters not one jot whether we consider his behaviour okay if its a crime somewhere else

Hear, hear!
    My wife gets 74 lashes pretty much every time we leave the house, but will she wear a Hejab? And don’t get me started on the time she applied for a passport without my permission.

kimbers

assange should definately stand trial in sweden
    guilty or innocent its for a swedish court to decide (the fact that hes an arse is irrelevant)

the minute he gets to sweden though the USA will make sure hes whisked on a plane guantanamo or wherever and either way will spend the rest of his life in prison. id flee to ecuador too

whatever classified info he stole americas pointless war in Iraq is the greater crime

project
    Free Member

BBc news is reportiong he is art the Equador embassy and is going to be arrested and remanded i custody if he comes out, or just perhaps they may well walk in and take him .

All because he has broken his bail terms.

wrecker
    Free Member

or just perhaps they may well walk in and take him .

I don’t think they can, can they?
    I don’t like him at all but why are we doing americas bidding again?
    Oh yeah, because we’re americas bitch. That’s why.

mcboo
    Free Member

What a worm he is. Sweden is a fine country with an admirable independant legal system and human rights record. I mean its not like we want to extradite him to somewhere like Equador is it?

And thank you for the donation to the national coffers from those credulous, anti-American posers who coffed up £240,000 bail money. Step forward Michael Moore, Jemima Khan, Ken Loach, John Pilger and Tariq Ali.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

The Usual Throwbacks. Sorry, I mean Suspects…

druidh
    Free Member

How hard would it be for the Swedish PM/Foreign Minister to make a public statement to the effect that they would not extradite him to the US? That would mean he could go to Sweden and answer the police questions (remembering he’s not currently charged with anything) without fear of being whisked off to the US.

If he still refused to go, it would be obvious he is merely hiding from his Swedish accusers.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

How hard would it be for the Swedish PM/Foreign Minister to make a public statement to the effect that they would not extradite him to the US?

This, except thats what they are planning to do so it’s rock and hard place time.

sadmadalan

One thing Assange has done is to confuse matters to show that he is being persecuted.

Some of the facts

– He has broken the law in the USA. We may not like it, but he has broken their laws. He can try to show that the release of the information is for the public good, but he needs to do this in a US court.

– The warrant issued by the Swedish authorities is legal. It has been through the entire UK court system. As such his only legal route left is to go to the ECHR and show that Sweden does not have a ‘fair’ legal system. It may be different to ours, but it is understood to be fair. It appears that he is not going to try the ECHR route.

– The US can try to extradite him from Sweden, after he has been tried (and if found guilty served any punishment). To do this they would need to have a valid warrant and agree to waive the death penalty. Sweden has signed up to the ECHR and as such is unlikely to approve any US request that could lead to the death penalty being imposed. Note that Sweden have to get UK approval as well to ship him off to the USA.

– After any trial, Sweden can tell him to leave the country. He is a foreign national with no right of abode in Sweden. Where he chooses to go is up to him.

– He has now broken the terms of his bail and will be arrested if/when he leaves the embassy. If he goes direct to Ecuador the the people who put up his bail will have to hand over the full amount. A bit of a kick in the teeth for them.

Personally I feel that the UK is better off without him. Sweden want him and he may end up with a short sentence there. What happens after I really can’t be bothered. If he ran Wikileaks in the manner to which it should have been intended, then I would support him. However he ran it as a personal fiefdom with no respect that the information that he published could harm innocent people.

crankboy
    Free Member

Very hard case to pick sides on:-
    Wikileaks showed us an american national guard attack helicopter divert from it’s mission to make a dubious kill of a journalist and his bodyguards then hang around to murder the civilian and his children who went to help , while providing a dishonest running commentry to justify the shooting. followed by the ground troops total lack of empathy. None of the troops involved received any sanction.

but:

Julian Assange is a bit of a insert your (swear word here)and has broken his word in leaving Sweeden on the first place and has now broken his bail bond in this country.

The easy answer is that the warrent has nothing to do with the USA he should go to Sweeden on the Warrent and deal with any issues that then arise there when and if they arise.

Without looking it up the only issues to contest on a European arrest warrent are , is the person the correct individual ?, is the warrent propperly issued ? and does the offence alleged ammount to a crime in the issuing country ?

MSP

However he ran it as a personal fiefdom with no respect that the information that he published could harm innocent people.

There is no evidence that any information he has release has caused any harm to anyone, that’s just one of the claims of corrupt Governments that want to hide behind walls of secrecy.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

– He has broken the law in the USA. We may not like it, but he has broken their laws. He can try to show that the release of the information is for the public good, but he needs to do this in a US court.

Without being in the US.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Did no one tell you USA law covers the entire world and applies to non USA citizens.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Assange case gets seriously weird’ is closed to new replies.