Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Assange
  • scotroutes

The Swedes have dropped the investigation and revoked the arrest warrant.

Think he’ll be safe to step outside the embassy without being deported to the US now – or will the UK Govt be kowtowing to the US again?

wwaswas

UK Govt be kowtowing to following due process of law and honouring our international treaties with the US again

ftfy

allthegear
    Free Member

I would presume he would have to face whatever charges come out of evading capture here before a deportation order to US is considered?

Rachel

wwaswas

Associated Press UK police: Assange still wanted for jumping bail, will face arrest if he leaves Ecuadorean embassy in London.

geetee1972
    Free Member

You know that Assange is on the wrong side of both the law AND morality when one of the key people jumping to his defence is Donald Trump.

oldnpastit

Didn’t he say a while back that if they let out Chelsea Manning, then he’d leave the embassy and face the music?

P-Jay
    Free Member

As I understand it the UK Police “refuses to confirm or deny whether it has already received a US extradition warrant” for him, but confirm they will arrest him when he leaves the embassy for failing to appear at court.

This move by the Swedes vindicates him to a certain extent – the threat of being arrested and taken to Sweden to face trial is gone, but he’s still at risk of being redacted and stuffed in an orange jump suit by the Yanks for spilling the beans.

wwaswas

This move by the Swedes vindicates him

Sweden has specifically said the case is not closed but they have decided there’s little chance of having the extradition warrant actioned. So he’s not ‘vindicated’ more ‘got away with it for now’.

It’s not clear if the European Arrest Warrant that was issued when he absconded from bail is still active but there is a British warrant for his arrest as an absconder still in place.

also;

wwaswas

clarification from the prosecutor;

they appear to be withdrawing the European arrest warrant too.

cranberry
    Free Member

If he comes out on that little balcony there is a good chance that someone from the embassy will tip him over the edge – it is reported that they really want to get shot of him.

taxi25
    Free Member

The police have also indicated that the offence of not surrendering to the court probably doesn’t justify 24hr surveillance of the embassy.

D0NK

UK Govt following due process of law and honouring our international treaties with the US again

what’s the US history for ignoring international treaties again?

(undecided over assange tbh but thought ^^^ worth mentioning)

ChrisL

It always seemed a little flimsy to me that he was worried that upon being extradited to Sweden he’d be shipped off to the US, but he was happy to hang about in the UK, a country which has a well established track record of being quite willing to do what the US asks of it. If the Americans were willing to nab him from Sweden, why didn’t they nab him from here?

Nico
    Free Member

P-Jay
    Free Member

This move by the Swedes vindicates him

Sweden has specifically said the case is not closed but they have decided there’s little chance of having the extradition warrant actioned. So he’s not ‘vindicated’ more ‘got away with it for now’.

Did you purposely quote me out of context or was it by accident?

I don’t like the guy, but he’s always said that he’s there to avoid extradition to the US, not Sweden – many of his distractors say that’s not true, he’s just a dirty rapist who wants to avoid being nicked by the Swedes – so far he hasn’t stridden out of the embassy with a smile on his face, the UK Police will still arrest him, and won’t comment on any warrant to extradite him to the US.

Even by the Swedes strict rules on what constitutes rape, his alleged offence wasn’t a serve offence when compared to most sexual crimes and given their reputation for short sentences based on rehabilitation and good prison conditions you could argue his five year self-imposed incarceration in the embassy has been longer and harder than he would have faced in Sweden.

His vindication comes in the form of a “I told you so” to the people who jut thought he was trying to avoid a rape charge.

ninfan
    Free Member

This move by the Swedes vindicates him to a certain extent – the threat of being arrested and taken to Sweden to face trial is gone, but he’s still at risk of being redacted and stuffed in an orange jump suit by the Yanks for spilling the beans.

[quote]His vindication comes in the form of a “I told you so” to the people who jut thought he was trying to avoid a rape charge.[/quote]

Ah, but what a **** he’ll look like if the US doesnt seek extradition 😀

jambalaya
    Free Member

Supposedly he is seeking asylum in France, they have no extradition treaty with the US so he would be safe from that risk there

@oldnpastit yes he did but then reneged on it – last year sometime ?

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

His vindication comes in the form of a “I told you so” to the people who jut thought he was trying to avoid a rape charge.

Of course it’s not beyond the realms of possibility he’s now caught in his own lie though.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

He’s whining on that he has been ‘detained withot charge for 7 years’

Funny how he has fogotten the self imposed bit of that detaining. All he had to do was submit himslef to the process if the law at any point in that 7 years.

Rapist or not, he is a nob.

Edukator
    Free Member

Asylum in France seems a fine idea if he can find a teleporter.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Funny how he has fogotten the self imposed bit of that detaining. All he had to do was submit himslef to the process if the law at any point in that 7 years.

Easily said when you’re not running the risk of spending the rest of your life in a supermax.

TBH he was incredibly **** stupid to get holed up in the UK in the first place, given what he was up to, I’m really surprised he didn’t have a plan in place to get to Russia, Colombia, Bolivia etc at the first sign of trouble.

Edukator
    Free Member

He’d obviously never heard of Roman Polanski. Choose a place where your crime isn’t likely to make you a public enemy.

ninfan
    Free Member

He’s whining on that he has been ‘detained withot charge for 7 years’

Another 12 months for failure to surrender to bail should be a walk in the park for him then 😀

bikebouy
    Free Member

I wonder just how many Press cameras are now holed up along the street with lenses and witnesses lined up for the “release, first step” shot.

Should be hilarious.

km79
    Free Member

Surprised he wasn’t smuggled out a long time ago, can’t they make him a diplomat and let him get on a plane immune from any charges.

MSP

I don’t know if Assange is really a **** or if the hatchet job has just succeeded.

I think it is a shame that wikileaks has been taken down with him either way, I thought they did valuable work, and would have preferred governments to address where secrecy is really needed and the clear and constant abuses of secrecy where it isn’t.

Whether Assange is guilty or not, bad governance has a victory.

bowglie

Always thought it was a bit odd how Wikileaks didn’t release a lot of stuff about Russia – but then, see the article below. I also thought it was a bit odd how Farage visited Assange for a few hours, after the latter had had his internet access withdrawn. Not that Farage is another one of Russia’s puppets;)

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2017/mar/07/wikileaks-cia-documents-us-russia-conflict

tthew

He’s whining on that he has been ‘detained without charge for 7 years’

I heard that, couldn’t quite believe his logic, the 5-0 would have been more than happy to charge him had he stepped outside the front door at any time! And all the bollocks about vindication. The Swedes were very clear that the investigation has been stopped on for process reasons, (i.e. they can’t get to him to serve papers) not because he’s been found innocent, which is how he presented it.

I wish I lived in London. You’d have heard me shouting from the crowd on PM tonight, and not in support like all the others that were gathered, the cretin.

I wonder if he boffed Pamela Anderson the other month?

RobHilton
    Free Member

Surprised he wasn’t smuggled out a long time ago, can’t they make him a diplomat and let him get on a plane immune from any charges.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOBXH-5QrGU[/video]

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I think it is a shame that wikileaks has been taken down with him either way, I thought they did valuable work, and would have preferred governments to address where secrecy is really needed and the clear and constant abuses of secrecy where it isn’t.

Unfortunately they do appear to have been played recently, the publish anything approach has made them a puppet in the US and French elections.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Assange’ is closed to new replies.