Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 135 total)
  • Assange
  • kimbers

Yet something that the lefties reacted in horror to when it happens at a Trump speech..

Lefties reacting in horror!!!! Are you a tabloid journo?

Iirc the offending person at the trump rally was standing in silence

I also seem to remember the righties frothing with righteous outrage when an old anti war vet got removed from a labour rally

Junkyard
    Free Member

Yet something that the lefties reacted in horror to when it happens at a Trump speech..

Did they or did you just decide to use any point whatsoever to just attack the “lefties”- do you ever get bored of this and think it might make sense to comment on the actual point being made?

FWIW i thought everyone but RW nut jobs disliked Trump..OH hold on a minute i see why you are so upset 😛

ninfan
    Free Member

My belief is that the ruling must have precedence over the warrant, although the ruling having words to the effect of ‘assange must be released’ isn’t necessarily synonymous with ‘the warrant is quashed’, the warrant would surely be contested on this basis if it isn’t quashed.

If the ‘binding’ decision of a non judicial UN panel is classed as ‘authoritative’ by the ECHR as they claim, then the natural outcome would be for Assange to apply to the ECHR which does have a judicial role to challenge the decision of the (UK) Supreme Court.

One could suggest that this channel would have been the correct natural route of appeal against a decision of the UKSC anyway, and you can only wonder why on earth Assange has chosen to avoid judicial challenge and opted for this ‘quasi-official non statutory bollocks’ channel?

schnor
    Free Member

Fair point and I really don’t know the answer. I can only presume the only way (or more successful, perhaps) is, for some reason, for him to challenge the UKSC finding in the ECHR having first gained the support – for want of a better word – of the UN panel, rather than the other way around.

slowster
    Free Member

Article 9 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights:

“No one shall be subjected to arbitrary arrest, detention or exile.”

Article 10:

“Everyone is entitled in full equality to a fair and public hearing by an independent and impartial tribunal, in the determination of his rights and obligations and of any criminal charge against him.”

The UN Working Group on Arbitrary Detention was established:

“To investigate cases of deprivation of liberty imposed arbitrarily or otherwise inconsistently with the relevant international standards set forth in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights or in the relevant international legal instruments accepted by the States concerned”

So detention without trial would clearly be something they would consider. When the detention (or being a fugitive from justice in an embassy) is the result of a legal process which complies with Article 10, then it’s difficult to see how can it be arbitrary, given that the unusual features of the ‘detention’ such as the duration are the result of Assange’s own actions in exhausting all legal options in the UK courts and then fleeing justice to hide in an embassy.

The Working Group has stated that their ruling does not undermine or overrule the criminal charges Assange faces (the vice chair said their ruling “doesn’t mean anything against the criminal prosecution he was facing”).

So the UK police supposedly must comply with this ‘binding’ ruling to stop arbitrarily detaining Assange, which can only happen if the threat of arrest once he leaves the embassy is removed, but the Working Group have not ruled on the criminal charges he is facing, which require the police and UK government to arrest him and deport him in order to comply with their legal responsibilities under UK and international law.

It looks like the UN Working Group on Arbitrary Detention are doing their best to uphold the maxim that “the law is an ass”.

crankboy
    Free Member

Schnor I think your link actually says the working groups findings are not legally binding in a conclusive or enforceable way , they are not a court . The findings are authoritative as in would be persuasive to a court making a decision rather than compelling a decision . The group express an opinion not pass a judgement.

Sweden’s refusal to promise not to extradite Assange is perfectly correct Sweden has a separation of justice and politics so the Swedish government can’t pre bind a a judge dealing with a hypothetical extradition case. No could any one sensibly promise never to extradite someone at a time when no extradition application has been made the charges have not been specified the evidence is unknown and the grounds of the on which the hypothetical extradition is sought have not been specified.

Junky you are right my earlier post was lazy you are wrong I don’t dislike Assange I actually admire wikileaks , I do not agree with him running away from these accusations and avoiding any tribunal that can actually make a binding decision based on evidence. He instead seeks to win his case without exposing himself to challenge or sanction if he is judged culpable.

Rape allegations are serious and should be properly investigated and tried . Sweden has a modern and thourgh liberal justice system and a robust and protective system for assessing extradition requests . I doubt The Americans would ever render a prominent media friendly rich white man by putting a bag over his head and spiriting him off to a black site for torture. So if the Rule of Law means anything Assage should submit to it and fight his case in court .

martinhutch

It’s an amazing situation when hiding to evade the established legal process can be defined as some form of state detention.

The only one who is not fulfilling his responsibilities under international law is Mr Assange, whose extradition to face serious charges has been ruled correct at a high level in the UK courts.

Assange could have faced (and most likely defeated, given the lack of evidence) the rape charges in Sweden in a fraction of the time he has chosen to spend cooped up.

There is no mechanism for the arbitrary cancellation of a valid UK arrest warrant, so the stand-off will continue.

The Ecuadorians must be getting pretty sick of this now. Perhaps they’ll temporarily relocate their embassy to Birmingham to get shot of him.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I do not agree with him running away from these accusations and avoiding any tribunal that can actually make a binding decision based on evidence. He instead seeks to win his case without exposing himself to challenge or sanction if he is judged culpable.

I agree this point is a valid opinion and he may be doing this

However i also think its valid for him to fear extradition if he does go there.

The only way to end this and know for sure whether he is an court dodging scumbag is for the US to openly say they wont try to “get him” when/if he goes there.

I do worry when folk just say the process happened he should go though. Its nit like states never abuse their powers and its obvious why he would be a high profile targeted individual. There is clearly more to this than a “bery serious rape allegation”. A reasonable case can be made for them being stage managed, trumped up and an abuse of the process.

FWIW the admire is interesting Wikkileaks is admirable but he seems like an arse.

crankboy
    Free Member

If you read the report there is a fairly clear summery of Swedish extradition law in the Swedish submissions that Assange does not dispute if it is accurate it seems he would have a fair argument to run in Sweden to fight extradition if the US sought it. It is noteworthy that he did not leave Sweden to avoid a US extradition application but at the time he was to be arrested for Rape.

What ever you think about the Swedish rape charges and indeed law it is illogical to link them to the US if the US wanted him why not just apply to extradite him when he was found in Sweden or render him if you go for the supper baddie view. If the rape charges are fabricated to blacken his name why such vague consent boundaries issue rather than an easier and clearer non consent date rape type accusation.

schnor
    Free Member

The group express an opinion not pass a judgement.

Fine. If you want to split hairs the OCHCR’s conclusions aren’t themselves enforceable, but their findings are based on international and local laws, with all the parties having agreed to adhere to the panels findings. How’s that?

It’s analogous to an employment tribunal telling an unfairly sacked worker that “We find Company X terminated your employment illegally, and that under laws Y and Z you should be reinstated immediately”. Yes, the employment tribunal themselves have no legal powers under laws Y and Z to compel Company X to reinstate the worker, but they tell Company Y “these laws here say you have to”.

That’s the whole point of the UN working group and the basic underlying concept of tribunals. I’m really struggling to see why some people aren’t getting this 😕

Junkyard
    Free Member

it is illogical to link them to the US

then the US will have no issue pointing this out openly in a legally binding way and say dont worry we wont do anything

Again your view is not without merit but, without US action, we cannot be certain if he has a point or if he is a rape avoiding shit bag

ninfan
    Free Member

then the US will have no issue pointing this out openly in a legally binding way and say dont worry we wont do anything

You think the USofA should jump up and down through Julian Assanges hoops just to make his life easier?

DrJ

ing his responsibilities under international law is Mr Assange, whose extradition to face serious charges has been ruled correct at a high level in the UK courts.

On past behaviour for Assange to fulfil his responsibilities on the assumption that the US would do the same would be naive beyond belief

DrJ

You think the USofA should jump up and down through Julian Assanges hoops just to make his life easier?

No. Just stop torturing people.

ninfan
    Free Member

Ah, right – so Julian is hidden in the Ecuador embassy not because he’s a rapist trying to avoid responsibility for his crime, but because after being extradited to Sweden, he is going to be extradited and now tortured as well…

Though clearly if that was the case (even though the US gave not applied for extradition) his extradition to the US from Sweden would be prohibited by ECHR (either in Sweden OR in the UK, despite the notoriously lax agreement on extradition between Uk and US, Eg. Long battle to keep autistic hacker from being sent there) .

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

your right ninfan

I’d add that in the two years he was on bail the US did not seek his extradition nor have they now.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I think you should totally rewrite what i said not engage with the point made and have a good scribble whilst i write a really long reply that hints at yet ultimately fails to even suggest an attempt to answer that non question.

DrJ

Bradley Manning, held on similar charges, was tortured, and Denmark was prepared to extradite Edward Snowden in contravention of their own laws, so the scenario is not exactly far fetched.

csb

Regardless of him being an abrasive character surely anyone who values transparency and democracy should celebrate people like him existing?

Has the UN ruling explicitly said there is no merit at all in the Swedish accusations? If not, how can the UK possibly not fulfil the extradition?

What’s to stop the ecuadorians employing him as a diplomat and affording him immunity to fly out?

kilo

What’s to stop the ecuadorians employing him as a diplomat and affording him immunity to fly out?

I believe the uk does not allow foreign governments to nominate people already resident in the uk as diplomats to stop actions such as this.

schnor
    Free Member

In fairness, there was a legal obligation for the UK to extradite him to Sweden. However, re. Point 78 [.doc]: –

The corrective UK legislation addressed the court’s inability to conduct a proportionality assessment of the Swedish prosecutor’s international arrest warrant (corrected by s. 157 of the Anti-Social Behaviour, Crime and Policing Act 2014, in force since July this year). The corrective legislation also barred extradition where no decision to bring a person to trial had been made (s. 156). The prosecutor in Sweden does not dispute that she had not yet made a decision to bring the case to trial, let alone charge Mr. Assange.

Ouch. It appears therefore the extradition warrant is fatally flawed insofar that he can’t be extradited until Sweden say he’ll be prosecuted. Which they themselves admit hasn’t been decided yet. Which then is why the panel said in it’s concluding point 100: –

… the Working Group requests … the exercise of his right to freedom of movement in an expedient manner

Clearly it’s beyond the panels remit to say “release him” but words to the effect of “in accordance with laws X, Y and Z his right to a freedom of movement must be reinstated”.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

One could suggest that this channel would have been the correct natural route of appeal against a decision of the UKSC anyway, and you can only wonder why on earth Assange has chosen to avoid judicial challenge and opted for this ‘quasi-official non statutory bollocks’ channel?

The 95%+ likelihood of getting a favourable ruling based on previous hearings

schnor
    Free Member

Onto the matter of a breach of bail conditions: –

64. Mr. Assange continues to face arrest and detention for breaching his house arrest conditions (“bail conditions”) as a result of successfully exercising his right to seek asylum. However the conditions of his house arrest arise directly out of Sweden’s issuance of the EAW.

Now, would a flawed warrant negate any consequences of breaching his bail conditions? At the very least if it doesn’t, it must be counted against ‘time served’ whilst under house arrest for some 550 days (point 87).

I think the panel thinks so, otherwise it would surely have been mentioned in their findings with a finishing caveat along the lines of “freedom of movement must be reinstated notwithstanding the issue of his breach of bail conditions”.

Anyone got anything better?

csb

Wow, thanks for clarifying schnor. It really does appear that the extradition warrant isn’t worth the paper it’s written on. And that the UK is beginning to look complicit in a very dodgy affair. why have the Swedish refused to interview him in situ, so as to make a decision on charging or not?

project
    Free Member

strange not many seem to be bothered at the huge cost and manpower used, 2 security guards SIA registered of course could have done the guarding on minimum wage and free tea bags for a lot les, they should have privatised the guarding.

ninfan
    Free Member

Ouch. It appears therefore the extradition warrant is fatally flawed insofar that he can’t be extradited until Sweden say he’ll be prosecuted. Which they themselves admit hasn’t been decided yet.

2014 act was not retrospective, so the act in force at the time retains primacy.

If Assange wanted to challenge this then he could have done so at any time – fact is that, like the appeal to ECHR, he has not done so.

Everything regards Assange has been transparent, he has been able to appeal to the highest court in the land, with everything documented and open to public scrutiny, and lost.

markgraylish
    Free Member

Does anyone have any stats on how many other criminals have skipped bail for similarly serious charges?
    And, if so, do those stats also reveal the average cost of investigating the perpetrator and bringing them to justice?
    And does anyone else have stats to reveal how many similar cases were dropped by the CPS as not worthy of persuing due to lack of evidence or resources?

Whatever you think of Assange, this is political retribution, no more, no less and the UK government has got caught up in the middle of it and tax payers are footing a huge bill for Swedens intransigence. The Swedish prosecutors dropped the ball by letting him leave the country AND should have interviewed Assange in the UK when they had the chance. If nothing else, it would have been an opportunity to strengthen their position and maybe more of the public would be on their side and maybe the Ecuadorian would not have offered him asylum…

I’m assuming Assange has much better legal advice than is being spouted on these pages, and has a fuller picture of what his options are. And he chooses to remain “detained”

In the same circumstances, I’d probably do the same to avoid any (theoretical or otherwise) jail time in the US…

Checkmate

schnor
    Free Member

The corrective legislation also barred extradition where no decision to bring a person to trial had been made (s. 156).

(a) The OHCHR clearly interprets S156 differently to you ninfan (see below),
    (b) There’s more to the refusal of the EAW than just an interpretation of S156, and
    (c) UK government lawyers at the time should have corrected this point.

(3) In a case where the Part 1 warrant (within the meaning of the Extradition Act 2003) has been issued before the time when the amendments made by this section come into force *, those amendments apply to the extradition concerned only if, at that time, the judge has not yet decided all of the questions in section 11(1) of that Act.

* This could easily be interpreted as entirely retrospective (e.g. if someone’s been sitting on an EAW for months, tough, or reapply for one). Or it could just as easily be interpreted as applicable only if the law was enacted between the time a warrant was issued and it appearing before a judge.

However, I agree it should have gone to the ECHR first.

markgraylish. This must be the first case (am happy to be proven wrong) – I think it’s particularly unusual as Assange specifically chose political asylum which can only be done, AFAIK, in person in an Embassy. I can’t imagine many people running into an Embassy chased by the police * and not be thrown out / shot within 10 seconds (other than in films / etc)

* probably didn’t happen

bikebouy
    Free Member

Has
    He
    Left
    The
    Building
    Yet
    ?
    😐

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

No but Elvis has…..

Good link pie monster. The more I read the less I understand why he hasn’t simply left and gone to Sweden. There seems zero threat from US. Maybe the publicity is what he wants or he’s seeking asylum in another country. Speculation on my part.

ratherbeintobago

The more I read the less I understand why he hasn’t simply left and gone to Sweden.

You mean apart from the obvious conclusion?

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

He’s guilty of the rape charge?

ratherbeintobago

He’s guilty of the rape charge?

Obviously he’s innocent until found guilty in a court of law, but…

And it’s also hard to banish the thought that if he really thought the Septics want to extradite him, he’d be far better off being in neutral Sweden, than, say the US’s closest NATO ally.

piemonster

There seems zero threat from US

This is true, the US is a lovely fluffy bunny.

Junkyard
    Free Member

and Guantanamo Bay is a sort of Disneyland for Muslims.

piemonster

Yes, but they’re keen on phasing it out for just blowing them up with drone missiles.

It’s a cost thing, no pesky costs of checking they’re “bad guys”

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Yup I’d have thought if the US wanted to extradite him they would have done it in the UK. Agree can’t think it would be easier for the US to extradite him from Sweden. Besides he was trying to live and work there before he left. So if it was ok then it should still be ok now? Don’t see what’s changed.

piemonster

JULY 25, 2010
    The Afghan War Diary
    WikiLeaks published a six-year archive of classified military documents about the war in Afghanistan.

JULY 30, 2010
    U.S. Investigates WikiLeaks
    Army investigators suspected that the source of the leaks was Pfc. Chelsea Manning, then known as Bradley.

SEPTEMBER 2010
    Sweden Pursues Rape Investigation
    Mr. Assange was investigated on charges of rape and molestation after separate complaints from two women.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/02/04/world/europe/julian-assange-timeline.html

piemonster

As to why Sweden. Maybe that’s where a plot was set in motion and it was considered a reasonable route to punish him. Accomplices could be found.

All that said, he genuinely could also be guilty. Maybe they should charge him? I’ve no idea whether he’s guilty, or others are guilty of plotting against him. I know the whole thing stinks tho!

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 135 total)

The topic ‘Assange’ is closed to new replies.