Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • ASR5 – Inset headset?
  • gp
    Free Member

Hi – I’m looking at getting some longer forks for my asr5 so have started looking into inset headsets – if you know which are compatible that would be great as it is a little confusing!

For example I’m not sure whether it is possible to run both upper and lower inset cups?

Thanks

fd3chris
    Free Member

Do yourself a favour mate and go ask it on the Yetiforum. Andrew on there will sort you out with the right answers.

Superficial
    Free Member

I can’t help thinking you’ll ruin it.
    It’s already plenty slack enough, and running a longer fork and steepening the head angle (I think what you’re suggesting?) is just daft. If you need more travel, you need a different frame.

gp
    Free Member

Thanks will try yetifan, the idea is to lower the front end with the lower stack headset to compensate for longer forks, not make it even slacker…

Leku
    Free Member

Bottom race – certainly. My last 5 had an inset Hope.
    Top race – not certain. Both of mine have had normal top cups.

charliemort

This interesting – if I was a betting man I’d say you are trying to get a 150mm pike in there??!

Mine has an external bottom cup, hadn’t thought of trying to get an internal one in there

Interested to hear how you get on

I’d even be interested in trying to get a 650 b fork in for future proofing, but that may be a step too far!

gp
    Free Member

exactly. I currently have 120 rebas and want more travel (140 being the max it is supposed to take) so I dont want to ‘ruin’ it with forks that are too long. But the pikes look so good. I’m sure a bit of sag and a lower stack headset and it’ll be close enough!

bigjim

I think it depends on the steerer, with a straight steerer I had an inny bottom but with tapered steerer I had to have an outy (with Hope cups anyway)

dan45a
    Free Member

I ran my asr5c with 140mm 32’s and was great climbing and crazy fun descending.

This pinkbike review has it running 150mm revs and they seem to think its good.
    http://www.pinkbike.com/news/yeti-asr5-carbon-test-2011.html

If I still had mine id be putting pikes on!

gp
    Free Member

140 would be ideal, but if they can do it…

mttm
    Free Member

I ran 150 Floats with a Hope internal lower headest cup on my ASR-5a. Remember that you need to check clearances for the fork adjusters – if they hit the downtube in a crash, it will be messy. The low profile ones on the Float were okay, not sure some of the taller offerings I’ve seen would clear.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘ASR5 – Inset headset?’ is closed to new replies.