Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Asking for Flexi time at work
  • simmy
    Free Member

Not for me, working for myself I do what I want anyway 😀

My Mum is still doing 12 hours a week despite being aged 69, doesn’t claim any benefits, not even state pension.

Over the past few months, she has been doing 2 days, 6 hours per day but they have literally nothing for her to do. She has even been sent out in the works van to hand deliver post rather than putting stamps on the envelopes and she reckons it’s just to give her something to do.

Mentioning these to a friend yesterday has given her the idea of asking for Flexi time as on the other 3 days she doesn’t work, stuff does crop up that she could do if she was there. Mum is thinking of suggesting 1 permanent weekday off but being on ” stand by ” for the want of a better word the other 4 days.

Anyone approached an employer with this idea and it’s worked ?

If it makes any difference, it’s a charity mum works for and has been employed by then for over 30 years.

Thanks.

br
    Free Member

not even state pension.

If she doesn’t want it or need it, then at least take it and give it to her favourite charity – or at least the net (if she pays tax).

cheers_drive

I imagine that the charity would jump at the idea but it sounds like a bad idea to be on call for the rest of the time. How can she plan to do anything knowing she could get the call to come in?

deadkenny
    Free Member

Kind of situation that suits the dreaded “zero hour contract” where it’s an example of where it’s useful. Only though if you’re happy with no pay for the days when you’re doing nothing (which from an employer/client point of view is fair enough) and then if you want you kick back or you do some other work on the side.

Could offer to work as a contractor and perhaps be paid a fixed sum for the work that actually needs doing. If it’s done in the time and you are twiddling thumbs on some days then you just don’t come in those days. Very few companies like doing fixed price contracts though. There’s still an obsession with working the hours and seeing people in the office/wherever even if they’re being paid to do nothing.

A charity may be more flexible though, and at her age a semi retired proposal of just working some days and possible standby others may be more attractive to a charity. Just depends if they want to pay for those other days fully and that’s what she wants, or is prepared to accept less or nothing for the days doing nothing.

aracer
    Free Member

Sounds like the sort of thing which will benefit them more than her, so they should jump at the offer. Just get her to go and talk to them about it if she’s up for that.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Not very eco friendly, driving around to hand deliver mail, insist she does it by bike! 😆

MoreCashThanDash

If she doesn’t want it or need it, then at least take it and give it to her favourite charity – or at least the net (if she pays tax).

Deferring her state pension – if she doesn’t need it – may enhance what she will receive – been a few years since I worked in that area mind.

mj27
    Free Member

It will be worth checking that she is insured on the works van at the age of 69, many policies that I looked at for work only went up to 65, I had to get it written into then at a cost to go up to 70 for our drivers.

simmy
    Free Member

I think it would be better for her all round if they will do it as, at the moment, on the 3 days she is not working she simply sits around and potters around the house knowing she has nothing to do whereas if she is ” on call ” she will at least be expecting something to happen rather than knowing she has nothing to do.

They are named drivers on the insurance, it’s not just a blanket policy covering any drivers so they know mums age. It’s only a crappy 02 plate van they insure themselves independently of the charity’s HQ.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Asking for Flexi time at work’ is closed to new replies.