Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Asked a Thousand time before but, Hope Bottom Bracket
  • mikey-simmo
    Free Member

Can I put a Mountain bike Bottom Bracket into a road bike frame? Do I need the central tube, will I die if I leave it out? Are the threads long enough to prevent the world ending? I just don’t know the answer. Anyone know for sure?

coatesy
    Free Member

You’ll need the shorter road centre tube, and a pair of 1mm spacers.

wwaswas

I thought the bearing shells were different widths?

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

Can’t compare as I’ve load of MTB but no road versions. I’d like to know if i can chuck an MTB version in rather than a brand new Road only version.

coatesy
    Free Member

Hope’s cups are identical,if you check their tech section it’ll show you the differences are the centre tube(shorter), and the spacers (2x1mm instead of 1 or 3x 2.5mm).

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

So I can drop the centre tube from the unit and just space the cups accordingly?

doncorleoni
    Free Member

Yes exactly that. I just stuck in an xt bottom bracket on my croix de fer. Used a 2mm spacer on the drive side which improves the chain line in my most common gears (big ring, small / high gear).

smell_it
    Free Member

Yep, doing just this with a Shimano bb on one of my road bikes and its not killed me yet……but it’s not a Hope, and I haven’t checked anything since I fitted it, as it worked…..so there could be some slow lurking death in there just waiting to get me.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

You won’t need spacers; road english threaded BB shells are all 68mm wide.

You’ll need a new central tube, but you can use it without one.

simondbarnes

You won’t need spacers; road english threaded BB shells are all 68mm wide.

You will if it’s a Hope BB 🙂

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

^this 😀

damascus
    Free Member

The tube acts as an extra seal as well as a spacer. I ran my road bike without one for a while with no problems (it was a dh 83 version I had)

In the end I ordered a new one and a set of extra outer plastic seals from my lbs.

somafunk

If you run it without the central tube then watch out for water ingress down the seat tube cut-out or remove the seat tube periodically to allow condensation to escape, especially if you don’t have a hole drilled in the bottom bract to let water/moisture out as this will kill any BB no matter how good the bearings/outer seals are.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Asked a Thousand time before but, Hope Bottom Bracket’ is closed to new replies.