• This topic has 342 replies, 61 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by SOAP.
Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 343 total)
  • Ashton Court! Brizzole
  • rondo101
    Free Member

“Don’t look down” has gone in LW. The old entrance is still there (I assume the badger set meant they couldn’t buldoze the new trail through), but a new trail joins it after about 100m.

DJ
    Free Member

Is any of the new stuff at Leigh Woods open yet or is it all closed off for a grand opening?

flatpat
    Free Member

Is that the one with the off camber rooty bit? Be interesting to see how it turns out – the last time I rode it it was pretty knackered.

In last Tuesday night’s rain the new AC trails were excellent, even though I still can’t get the hang of the New Barn Wood roller coaster-esque bit.

Looked around Ashton Hill a couple of months back. Lots of jumps that looked impossible to us ground-dwelling trail plodders. Tried some of the easier chutes and berms which was fun. Definately worth an explore. Not sure how it would be in the wet?

karen805
    Free Member

Looked around Ashton Hill a couple of months back. Lots of jumps that looked impossible to us ground-dwelling trail plodders. Tried some of the easier chutes and berms which was fun. Definately worth an explore. Not sure how it would be in the wet?

Great thanks, as long as it’s worth an explore! Hopefully it’ll stay dry.

nickegg
    Free Member

The majority of the tracks in Ashton Hill Plantation are now destroyed thanks to extensive logging operations. The place is almost un-recognisable now! There are a couple of tracks at the Long Ashton end that have survived but that’s it. Nearly every path has been driven down by the huge machinery they used to remove trees.

In regards to Leigh Woods, can anyone explain what the hell the trail builders were thinking?! Rode all the surfaced stuff we could find last night and apart from the sporadic ‘feature’ it was all flat corners and no interesting bits whatsoever. I love the new AC trails and despite riding most of it daily as part of my commute i’m not bored of it. LW on the other hand is awful!! Just as well the best bits have remained untouched.

gravitygirl
    Free Member

nickegg, why not ask them here: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Architrail/109472799129220

I’ve not seen yet, but that doesn’t sound like the fun that AC now is.

cheers_drive

nickegg – I thought that too but if you look at the map the skills section and most of the downhill has not been completed yet so I’m withholding my judgement.

noteeth
    Free Member

Just as well the best bits have remained untouched.

I’m still gutted they went through Don’t Look Down/The Rim Trail etc – I wish they’d left that stretch alone. I don’t have a problem with an all-weather blue trail in LW (and they’ve done splendid work in Ashton Court) – but smoothed out berms & rollers ain’t really why I like to go riding in woods. Still, I guess a compromise was required.

Anyway, give it a few years.

clubber
    Free Member

In regards to Leigh Woods, can anyone explain
    what the hell the trail builders were thinking?!
    Rode all the surfaced stuff we could find last
    night

has it been opened? I thought it was still being built.

wallop

I thought LW was being done by Clixby, not Architrail…?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I still can’t get the hang of the New Barn Wood roller coaster-esque bit.

Has anyone? I’m happy with the last section starting with the mini rock garden, but the upper section perplexing me.

noteeth
    Free Member

I guess I’m just going to miss the roots, although it’s possible I’m getting grumpier as I get older. Maybe I’ll take up dog-walking & trail sabotage. 😀

Has anyone?

It might work better as a climb…

MrAgreeable

Is any of the new stuff at Leigh Woods open yet or is it all closed off for a grand opening?

None of it’s open yet. There’s at least one more month of building/bedding in to go yet.

Rode all the surfaced stuff we could find last night

Well done. 🙄

LW is being built by Clixbys under supervision from the trail designer who did AC. It’s not meant to feel as “built” and it should bed in and become a bit more interesting before you know it.

We’re slipping back into presenting our own personal tastes as infeffable fact, but I reckon if you rode the old trail back when it was first cleared, then you were put into cryogenic storage, and then revived just in time to ride it again immediately before it was rebuilt, you’d be pretty horrified. Ditched out lines, ruts and mud might make a DH course more interesting but most people find them a bit of a chore on a flat pedally trail.

noteeth
    Free Member

We’re slipping back into presenting our own personal tastes as ineffable fact

I know* – we’re a right bunch of Immanuel Kants. 😉

(*or do I?)

Anyway, Mother Nature is going to be the ultimate arbiter on all this. Few harsh winters, lots of deadfall, colonising roots etc – & it should blend in nicely.

MrAgreeable

Noteeth, I was thinking of you when I wrote the above as I seem to recall you left Bristol a few years back when the cheeky network in Leigh Woods was riding at its best. It was great – while it lasted…

noteeth
    Free Member

I was thinking of you when I wrote the above

I’d never get accepted for cyrogenic storage, Mr A – I don’t have the cash. 🙁

Point taken though.

flatpat
    Free Member

Are there any plans for the Orchard trail/Abbotts Pool, particularly that swampy bit at the top?

andy_hamgreen

oh no – don’t tell me they’re going up there as well – will there be nothing left ?
    LW is transformed….to mediocrity……
    imho of course

flatpat
    Free Member

Well, if you ignore all the other trails in LW, then yes, it’s all gone.

andy_hamgreen

thought so 🙂

andy_hamgreen

presumably all we need now is Sierra cycling to organise some tours in there ? 🙂

MrAgreeable

No plans for the Orchard. Look out for the diversion round the really poached bit – the trail heads off into the woods just before it gets boggy.

Someone was asking about Ashton Hill. There is thinning going on over there at the moment and most of the trails are buried as a result, but there are plans to resurrect them at some point. We’ve discussed the trails over there with the FC, who are happy for “grey” trails to be built or kept as long as the local ranger (Darren Edwards) is informed and gives the thumbs up.

Taz

Looking forward to Leigh Woods opening. The all weather trail will complement the steeper gorge side stuff, such as the knicker trail & picnic table very well (that stuff holds up well through the winter anyway (guess it just drains well and less people ride it).

Work is busy and cycle time tight at the moment. Having all weather winter trails a 10 – 15 minute ride away means less time on the road or in a spin class through the winter = very happy Taz.

flatpat
    Free Member

Thanks Mr Agreeable – the one along by the fence I presume?

Andy – this must be what you’re thinking of for LW.

andy_hamgreen

lol flatpat – that’s about my level
    hey! – they’ve got my photo on the top of the page there too ! 🙂

MrAgreeable

On the subject of Ashton Court, as posted above, this is on Sunday:

http://bristolcyclefestival.com/event-diary/bike-olympics/

Get yourselves along, it’s going to be awesome.

ransos
    Free Member

People need to remember that the trails are designed to cater for a range of abilities and experience. Whilst the new stuff in Leigh Woods may well turn out to be a bit dull for my tastes, they’ll be a great introduction for beginners. And as Cheers Drive says, they’re not finished yet, so give them a chance!

klumpy
    Free Member

In last Tuesday night’s rain the new AC trails were excellent, even though I still can’t get the hang of the New Barn Wood roller coaster-esque bit.

Rode them in Sunday’s rain (although the entire MTB crowd that day sheltered under the arch at one point) and thought they were *more* fun in the rain if anything! They’re looking nicely second hand now too.

I think LW will be better than people think, there’s some rollers to play with and it’ll wear down.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

although the entire MTB crowd that day sheltered under the arch at one point

[Waves]

The raindrops were hitting the ground and bouncing up about 1 metre at that point. Yes, it rides really great when it’s wet.

santacoops
    Free Member

Whats that new bit in AC by the gap in the wall for 50 acre about? It doesn’t seem to ride right! Anyone know what i mean?

clubber
    Free Member

I noticed that. I was thinking that they’ve routed it further from the hole in the wall as there’s a risk that with the original route which went very close to it, someone walking through it into AC could be hit by a flying rider.

Can’t say that I saw any real problem with the new route though. Seemed fine.

santacoops
    Free Member

Yeah i thought it may be a H&S conscious decision but i can’t seem to get used to it. Time may tell.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

I noticed that. I was thinking that they’ve routed it further from the hole in the wall as there’s a risk that with the original route which went very close to it, someone walking through it into AC could be hit by a flying rider.

Can’t say that I saw any real problem with the new route though. Seemed fine.

My route to AC takes me backwards through 50 acre and through the hole in the wall from BBL, I had a couple of near misses with riders there, more my fault than theirs but the old route was a risk so I guess that’s why they changed it, seems to ride perfectly well now IMO*.

*As long as there are no painfully slow riders blocking the trail. 😉

santacoops
    Free Member

Thats the problem with the new bit imo – you have to slow down!

KINGTUT
    Free Member

A bit yes, but for a reason between those two bits of trail is a thoroughfare to AC, that said I didn’t take it fully on board last week as I was stuck behind a family plodding along, I’m up there for a few laps this weekend Oktoberfest training so it I shall see.

DJ
    Free Member

What weekend is Oktoberfest?

clubber
    Free Member

15th October – two weeks Saturday.

LoCo
    Free Member

15th, I’ll be there with the Loco BM Racing team, lokking forward to riding the new trails that have been built since Bikefest 😀

MrAgreeable

The hole in the wall is being moved to the left to make the crossing safer (especially for equestrians) so the new trail diversion is probably part of the preparation for this.

Kingtut, and anyone else doing lap after lap of the course – why? You’ll be riding round it for up to 8 hours in a couple of weeks’ time…

DJ
    Free Member

Cheers. I was planning a ride with a load of friends who haven’t ridden AC before that weekend! I’ll have to change it. Will it still be busy on Sunday with people still hanging about? Parking etc? I know it is only on Saturday but wondered if people stay for the night? Cheers.

Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 343 total)

The topic ‘Ashton Court! Brizzole’ is closed to new replies.