Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Ashima rotors……experiences?
  • alpin
    Free Member

anyone used? care to share your experience/opinion.

durability, stopping power, pad life, etc, etc….

nockmeister
    Free Member

Use a 203mm..as good as Avid G2 it replaced. Very light, ‘normal’ disk and pad wear. They recommend only using sintered pads with them. Yep i’d buy again…

Northwind

Seemed to work much like any other rotor, I’ve used sintered and superstar kevlar pads with them. They do make a funny noise, and at very low speed (ie pushing bike by hand) I can feel a pulsing in them but it’s not noticable while riding. I still don’t trust them that much, I wouldn’t put them on the Hemlock but they did fine on the Soul.

cannondaleking
    Free Member

got em fitted to both sets of race wheels in 160mm and use those kevlar pads with them ok so far 7 months on not noticed much if any power loss that some people find and there silly light too 83grames shocking really.

adam_h
    Free Member

Use 160mm front and 140mm rear on my hardtail with Avid Juicy Carbons. No issues at all, pad wear is the same as using the Avid rotors. Got mine off Merlin when they were about £15 each too 🙂

dreednya

Use a set of 180s with my Formula The Ones MY10 and are great, Pad life is never brilliant with these brakes, but I’ve not noticed any differences :o)

br
    Free Member

I tried them last year when I got weight(less)-addicted. I’ve now them in a variety of sizes and use them for everything, and they seem to work well with any pads.

neninja
    Free Member

I mate tried them on his Hope set-up – he thought they well terrible and ruined his braking performance. He replaced them after a month.

Surely these discs can’t provide the same stopping power as a same size regular disc as there is so much less surface area for the pad to work against.

Great for weight weenies but I’d be incline to go up a size with them which them means fitting an adapter so any weight saving has gone.

br
    Free Member

Surely these discs can’t provide the same stopping power as a same size regular disc as there is so much less surface area for the pad to work against.

Its got nothing to do with surface area, but I’m sure someone who really knows will come along in a while.

http://reviews.mtbr.com/blog/ashima-airotor-review/3/

thomthumb
    Free Member

can’t tell the difference between it and a standard shimano (unless it is on a scale)

neninja
    Free Member

b r – how can surface area not play a part?

I’m no physicist but surely reduced a surface area of pad/disc contact with the same amount of force able to be exerted to the pad will result in reduced friction and therefore reduced braking.

The advantages of these discs are reduced weight and less fade due to increased heat dissipation but I can’t believe they offer improved stopping power under normal circumstances.

thomthumb
    Free Member

less surface area increases pressure.

TheFlyingOx

Swapped a 160mm XT disc for a 180mm Ashima and it’s miles better. I just didn’t get on with the XT.

Earl_Grey

neninja – Member
    b r – how can surface area not play a part?

Amontons’ Laws of friction:
    Force of friction is directly proportional to the applied load.
    Force of friction is independent of the apparent area of contact.

neninja
    Free Member

Thanks Earl_Grey

I did say I’m not a physicist.

I’m always amazed at how laws of science are often so different to what you’d expect. Take for example Mythbusters at the weekend – 2 cars travelling at 50mph in head on crash – you’d expect the damage to be equivalent to one car hitting something at 100mph but it’s actually only the damage of a single car crashing at 50mph still.

I was really surprised. Sorry for going off topic.

br
    Free Member

neninja

I watched that too, the force of the 100mph wall crash was seriously impressive.

sputnik
    Free Member

Just received a pair of Ashima semi-metallic brake pads to go into my XTR brakes. If they work well then they are a bargain, half the price of original Shimano ones.
    Tempted to get some Ashima rotors as well , but not the lightweight ones, but the one on the right ARO-03
    93grams for 160mm rotor and 115grams for 180mm rotor is not bad either 🙂

Radioman

Amontons’ 2nd Law is an idealization assuming perfectly rigid and inelastic materials. For example, wider tires on cars provide more traction than narrow tires for a given vehicle mass because of surface deformation of the tire.

Brake pads are not totally hard for this reason. The most important thing in disk braking force is obviously disc diameter and braking pressure, but a soft pad like the ones used in DH will give you more braking power at the expense of pad wear. Longer soft pads with more rotor contact will give more braking force than short soft pads…

benman
    Free Member

Mathematically correct or not, I didn’t get on with the pair I had. I found the braking power massively reduced compared to the XT rotors I had on previously (running sintered with both). Running some Avid clean sweeps now, which seem to be much more powerful and only 20g more (approx 100g)

Marmoset
    Free Member

No real problems with mine on my Magura Louise’ – if I was going to go on an Apine trip I’d put the ventidiscs back on, purely from a heat dissipation point of view, but they;re fine for the UK gravity assisted rides.

dobo
    Free Member

the rotors get a thumbs up from me, using them with some XT brakes for ages

Radioman

I would think these disks they would provide worse braking than a standard rotor.

The scientific theory quoted above for friction is between two totaly inelastic and perfectly rigid materials eg smooth glass!! It doesnt apply to disk brakes as the pads are soft and the disk hard!

If disks with more holes in would give the same stopping power &lighter brakes then the manufacturers would use them…drilling extra holes doesn’t cost much!

dans160
    Free Member

Stopping power was fine but they tizzed (especially the 203mm on the front) and ate pads (Shimano XT on Hope M4s). They have been replaced with Shimano XT rotors which are the best I’ve used.

Radioman

HOWEVER the whole thing is down to caliper pad and brake combinations so some set ups may be great, but others not good… as said theory and practice are different things..

Vortexracing

I have 2 x Ashima 160mm rotors for sale if anybody wants them

£20 posted

Zoolander
    Free Member

Just bought some of the ashima ARO3s and first impressions are very good, seem much better than the avid rotors they have replaced. Running them with juicy 7s. Have gone up a rotor size though so that could be part of the difference – impressed though for sure.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

Can you either send me some pics or links to see what the Rotors look like ?

Vortexracing

yhm

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Ashima rotors……experiences?’ is closed to new replies.