Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Ashima AiRotor size Question
  • GeeWavetree
    Free Member

post mount fork
    avid elixirs with conical washers
    is the 180mm rotor really 180mm and will i have to ditch the spacers?

GeeWavetree
    Free Member

oh and btw – £16 and £18 on crc respectively

simon1975

Their website http://www.ashima.com.tw/products_01_01.html suggests 180. My 160 is 160 if that helps 😉 Loving it so far, especially when compared to the wobbly Hope floater I had before 🙂

GeeWavetree
    Free Member

anyone measure a 180mm for me please?

Eccles
    Free Member

I'm guessing here, but 180?

I've recently ordered a 180 to fit to Avid Juicys together with a 160-180 post mount adaptor, to use in place of Avid's stock 185/203 (delete as applicable) adaptor.

Eccles
    Free Member

Righto, helpful post time.

180 = 180.

If you try and bodge it without the conical washers you'll have a bugger of a job getting the thing to work, the Ashima 180 adaptor comes with a pair of shallower conical washers/bolts though, with a shorter thread to accommodate the smaller disk, so that is good. The bolts actually look a wee bit short to my eye, but it's a post mount, so shear loads should be fairly small and well, if the rotor bolts'll hold then sod it, eh?

Is this place still populated by weightweenies? It is? Front = 109g @ 180, rear 80g @ 160, both a nadge under the claimed weight. Old Avid G2 dinner plates off HMS Norco = 190g each. Mostly, though, I'm most pleased about having a rear brake that'll no longer lock up when the lever gets a light headwind on it.

To satisfy the other camp, no I did not weigh my last evacuation so cannot say how much one could save by merely visiting the house of easement, but (a) I tend not to ride with a turd wrapped round each hub so the comparison is essentially flawed and (b) I've always wondered when that analogy bobs back round the u-bend; why not have a crap and a lighter bike? Radical, I know, but that's how I roll.

dans160
    Free Member

Are these things actually any good then?

Northwind

Seem to be for me, so far. Few hundred miles and no bother at all, I want to get more miles and harder use on them before i really judge though. Oh, mine each have the direciton arrow pointing in different directions which is just weird- the rear is an older one I think so has the original direction, which they've now reversed, but apart from that they're ace.

dans160
    Free Member

Thanks for that. Just wondering if they would be an 'upgrade' to hope floaters i.e. stop just as well but weigh less???

Northwind

Yup, absolutely, I replaced my Hope floaters with these. Lighter, stop exactly the same and I got new Ashimas for less than I sold the half-used Hopes for.

dans160
    Free Member

Ta!

retro83
    Free Member

any problems with pad wear or pulsing using these rotors?

Northwind

Nope, there's a slight sort of high frequency "thrum" feel though it doesn't seem to have any real effect. That's with XT calipers though which have big pads, smaller pads might have a different effect.

Eccles
    Free Member

The bolts actually look a wee bit short to my eye, but it's a post mount, so shear loads should be fairly small and well, if the rotor bolts'll hold then sod it, eh?

Right, the bolts that come with it ARE rather short, or rather, really amazingly incredibly dangerously short. That was nearly a very expensive moment then, so I'm off to the loft to find a couple of longer bolts. Heads up avid owners – to run the 180mm ashima post mount adaptor DO NOT use the supplied bolts with any form of conical washer. You will lose your post mount fork threads. Use the conical washers, but use a bolt that's a damn sight longer than those that come with the adaptor.

PSA ends, normal sweary service to be resumed shortly.

GeeWavetree
    Free Member

45mm bolts used here on avids and post mount forks (185mm rotor)

DT78
    Free Member

Do the air rotors fit ok with Avids? I tried to fit a hope rotor to a juicy 3 earlier today but it appears the rotor width of the hope is slightly bigger as it didn't even turn despite trying to push the pistons in as much as they go.

GeeWavetree
    Free Member

fine

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Ashima AiRotor size Question’ is closed to new replies.