Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • ASHIMA Air rotors – user opinions?
  • GeeWavetree
    Free Member

Anyone use them?
    What colour spiders do they do – just black and red?

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

ive got the 203mm, i didnt think they'd make any difference to be honest – just liked the look of them.

they really do sharpen things up though, they seem to have a nice bite and seem to help when feathering the brakes. i havent noticed any brake fade at all, and they work excellently in the wet.

it says to only use sintered brake pads, but ive got some organic's in the rear and they're lasting well so far despite the gritty peaks mud!

they are noticeably light too when you compare them with the XT 203's i had on previously.

so in short – i'd definately recommend them!

29erKeith
    Free Member

They work great, nice and light, look great too

I can feel a bit of 'pulsing' from my front one sometimes
    XT's with 180 disc

I assume it's 'cos of all the air so you can feel air, contact, air ,contact….
    Pads not wearing noticeable quicker than other discs with more metal though

GeeWavetree
    Free Member

will give em a go i think – where is cheapesta nd what colour options are there? black?

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

black & red, i think swinnertons had em for £25 each (180mm)…not many places do them

tazzymtb

merlin sell the normal non poncy coloured versions, I love mine, I 've got gusset series R rotors as well and look nattier but are about 5g a rotor heavier

Lifer
    Free Member

Are they Elixir compatible?

Northwind

I like mine a lot, they're not expensive and they weigh nothing, other than that they just seem to be brake discs.

I know some people don't like buying cheap effective stuff from brands that aren't well known, but if you like you can get the Airotors with KCNC branding now and they cost about 20% more, I guess some people will prefer that option 😉

DT78
    Free Member

Can you fit the 180's to hope mono mini's if you use a 180 adaptor rather than a 183 one?

Any idea of the total weight saving if I swapped out floating 183/160 hopes to ashimas?

pedalphile
    Free Member

yeah…..ashima air rotors work great!

tazzymtb

WTF did you ride that into?

Northwind

"It turns out bits of metal bend if you smash them off things!" :mrgreen:

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

Absolutely horrible. Noticeable chattery vibration from them, and no discernible stopping power over a bogo hayes avid.

pedalphile
    Free Member

not my rotor, someone elses, but that's the 2nd one we've seen (at the bike shop) that's heated and warped like that….light weight comes at a price fellas

Northwind

Ah, that's heat warp? I was assuming it'd been caught on the edge of a bit of shore, but looking at it, is that heat discolouration on the arms and on the braking surface just by the fold? Might just be a trick of the light but it looks absolutely cooked

specializedneeds

The problem is we have no idea if they way that rotor was used would have warped any other rotor too. There aren't many products you can't find a scare story about. I've become a bit cynical about web stories: people like to have something interesting to post and no problems ain't that interesting! But I'm open to being convinced to swap them for some Hopes 😉

Are they Elixir compatible?

Yes, I have a 180mm on the front with Elixir. In fact, I didn't notice any pulsing, which I did noticed with the same rotor and a Hayes HFX 9 at the back.

onandon
    Free Member

Ive used a 160/160 combo for the past 1000 miles with formula and marta SL brakes.
    They feel like they are brake rotors !!??!?! nothing more and ,nothing less.

It looks the like that one in the pic snagged the caliper, this could happen i guess but the caliper would need to be loose and with very worn pads.
    ( or it could be heat related and im going to die )

DT78
    Free Member

Tbh I would use a bit of common sense when using lightweight rotors. They would be for my XC race bike if I was planning on going somewhere that required 'big' brakes I'd be using bigger / standard rotors.

I would love to know how that guy cooked them, must have been a alp like descent to nail them that bad!

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

at first they recommending people run them the opposite/odd looking way round – not sure why but you can find the full story on google – which casued them to fold. since then they've changed the advice and told people to run them the obvious way, and apparently this has solved the issue.

never had any pulsing here either…

tazzymtb

rotors will not heat warp that badly. to get a steel rotor to deform that heavily it'll be over 1000C near to its 1370 C approx melting temp.

In most cases of "warped brake disc" that have investigated in high load situations such a professional motor racing which easily exceed the temps generated, even for a downhill bike, has turned out to be friction pad material transferred unevenly to the surface of the disc. This uneven deposition results in thickness variation or run-out due to hot spotting that occurred at elevated temperatures.This is what causes the rotor to vary in thickness and give a "pulsing" sensation and brake rub, not the fact that the rotor has reached such temperatures that tempered steel will start to thermally deform.

even when What MTB dyno tested ashima rotors they couldn't get them to warp so it's rather doubtful IMO

br
    Free Member

I've used these for a year or so, great performance and very light.

Northwind

"at first they recommending people run them the opposite/odd looking way round – not sure why but you can find the full story on google – which casued them to fold. since then they've changed the advice and told people to run them the obvious way, and apparently this has solved the issue."

Ah, that's interesting, people keep telling me "Your back rotor is the wrong way round" and it looks like it is, but the arrows say otherwise- the 2 rotors have opposite direction arrows. I guess one of them is older stock than the other!

dobo
    Free Member

i like em, been running on my xc bike for yonks

i cant see a set of avids or some other brakes surviving the amount of heat it would take to warp the disk above

smuttiesmith
    Free Member

If you watch this I find it very hard to believe you could do the damage above to the rotor in normal use.

bighendo
    Free Member

with more holes than metal would the performance suffer
    when compared to other discs with more metal than holes?

Pauly

Horrible pulsing through the lever for me too, using new XT brakes and 180mm/160mm rotor combo.

Not for me I'm afraid, and don't get me started on their dual compound pads!

I'll try to dig out the old set and post up pics.

GeeWavetree
    Free Member

Do you want to swap for some XT rotors?

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

Didn't work well with hope mono mini's, replaced the pads again and got new hope rotors, perfect.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘ASHIMA Air rotors – user opinions?’ is closed to new replies.