Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 106 total)
  • Ashes 3rd Test…
  • maxray
    Free Member

So.. anyone excited? Rumours it will be Tremlett taking Broad’s place. Going to get up for the first few overs and then try and catch as much of the afternoon session as possible. 😀

maxray
    Free Member

That will be just me then! 🙂

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Looking forward to it. Will wake up about half five and listen to the second half of the days play.

Royston
    Free Member

I’m definitely looking forward to it and as I’m in NZ it’s a much more civilised mid afternoon until around 2230. It’ll be the Australian ABC commentary though as no TMS permitted online (by the self important BBC).
    I hope Bresnan gets the call ahead of Tremlett (more economical,and more control over his length, more solid with the bat too). If they pick Tremlett and he starts going for runs and can’t get his length right England’s bowling options would be a bit thin especially as Anderson has just been home and back within a week.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Luckily I have a (very!) early start in the car tomorrow, so am hoping to catch some of it on the radio.

Punter’s been talking a good game about dropping a lot of bombs on the top order. I think he’s a little rattled as he knows his head is on the block if Australia draw this one, let alone if they lose!

zokes
    Free Member

It’ll be the Australian ABC commentary though as no TMS permitted online (by the self important BBC).

Assuming you’re not at work, do a search for Yourfreedom. The free version is good enough for TMS duties 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Please make sure I can get TMS in the car….! It is on R4LW, isn’t it?

Junkyard
    Free Member

yes still on LW as well as DAB – still get interuptions from shipping though
    I just cant see Australia getting 20 wickets whatever happens as theyhave not manged it 2 test and we had a mini collapse in one innings.
    Given this I cant see how they can win tbh

warton
    Free Member

2.30 AM Start isn’t it?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

still get interuptions from shipping though

I love the Shipping Forecast! Makes me feel all safe and happy!

Junkyard
    Free Member

indeed but you might miss Punter’s innings , after all it lasts 10 minutes.
    just the tune though
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFdas-kMF74[/video]

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Royston – Member
    I hope Bresnan gets the call ahead of Tremlett (more economical,and more control over his length, more solid with the bat too). I

I hope not – Bresnan is not a test bowler and you don’t pick your bowlers by how well they bat – especially if you only have 4. Bresnan reminds me of Derek Pringle.

I believe it is tremlett who got the nod anyway.

We need to take 20 wickets. and hopefully grind their noses in it a bit 🙂

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Agree with TJ. I can’t see the Aussies bowling England out twice – England’s batsmen are all in form and the Aussies haven’t a clue which bowlers to pick. It makes sense to pick Tremlett, potentially a better bowler as I don’t see the need to have Bresnan in just because he can bat a bit as well.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

We, TJ? WE? It’s the England and Wales Cricket team you know, not the Scotchish one…. 😉

theotherjonv

BBC seem to have the wink that Tremlett has it. If he bowls well that’ll be the right choice, but I’d possibly have had Bresnan for the control he has over line and length which then allows Anderson and Finn to be more attacking, and also Swann doesn’t have to play the role of tightening up an end either.

But on balance that is a good thing; they feel he is the right pick and it shows that the plan for retaining the ashes is based on beating them again. Last thing I want them to be doing is defending a 1-0 lead from this far out.

Off to bed now, see you at 6.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Part of my confusion with my identity CFH

Its hash living on the edge

molgrips
    Free Member

Hmm, must get my DAB installed in the car again.

Jonv seems to really know his cricket tho!

aracer
    Free Member

also Swann doesn’t have to play the role of tightening up an end either

But that’s a big part of his job, and one he does very well. Doesn’t seem to stop him taking wickets either. Not necessary to pick somebody to take the pressure off Swann. If you want a bowler to have a chance of winning you a match at the WACA you have to pick Tremlett over Bresnan.

theotherjonv

I don’t disagree with either point aracer. Swann is notable (like all the best spin bowlers) in that he doesn’t relinquish control while still being an attacking threat. Compare from recent years Giles that could tie an end up very well but in doing so basically ceased to function as a wicket taker, unless batsmen got frustrated and got themselves out. I just don’t want Swann to have to become tighter if it makes him any less potent – he’s already leading wicket taker in the tests and so far they are relatively clueless against him. And left handed 🙂

On Tremlett being a potential match winner – potentially yes, and good to see that’s how Flower and Strauss see it too. But thus far Broad has been the control bowler so Tremlett for Broad is not actually that like-for-like on current performances (and I accept Broad has bowled well with little reward, could have had a few more in the right hand column than he did, and is not generally a control bowler but that’s the effect he’s had so far)

Thanks Molgrips. I have captained a few sides in my time, but I worry sometimes it’s boring to the less afficionado follower. Trouble is no-one at work understands the game properly, whereas here I can get a decent discussion / argument going.

Next Q: in current form do you leave Bell at 6 or move him ahead of Colly?

aracer
    Free Member

Don’t tinker with a winning team. Does it really do that much harm to have Colly in first when there’s still Prior coming in after (he’s not exactly in shabby form with the bat)? I suppose the idea might have a little more to say for it now we have a longer tail, but it’s still a tail who can bat a bit. Meanwhile I’m not convinced Colly is in that awful form – it’s just that Bell appears to be in the form of his life (or just living up to the potential he’s always had).

Looking at it from a psychological perspective, it can’t be good for Aus seeing Bell coming out when we’re 4 down and knowing we still have Prior to come – as opposed to North the walking wicket or a man who’s scored a grand total of 100 runs in Test cricket in those positions.

18 months ago who’d have predicted it being suggested that Bell was batting too low at 6 in a winning Ashes team?

white101

I think form at 5 & 6 is still difficult to call given the form of 1,2 &3. I like to think that for the first time in a while England have confidence running throughout the team and even if Colly’s form is not 100% the fact the team have been playing so well allows him to come to the crease with confidence (even though he can be a slow starter, ala Ponting) that and as already pointed out 20 wkts is still a dream for the aussies. The pitch was talked about as a bit green so that should mean Tremlett gets the nod although don’t discount Swann as a bloke who will hold up an end, forecasts are for hot weather and green pitches in Perth can often crumble allowing spinners to get a favourable turn, and if the pressure is on England have been hunting the aussies like a pack of hungry wolves, shame I have to go to bed now 😐

palmer77
    Free Member

I watched Colly bat his heart out against the aussies at Lord’s last year in the one day series. Never has a man given so much for so little recognition. When he fell against Tait his world shattered. This is what makes England strong; belief, heart and passion. Fortius Quo Fidelious!

zokes
    Free Member

Huges, and….. PONTING!!!!! 17/2 😀

zokes
    Free Member

28/3 – Clarke plays at one that doesn’t need it 😀 😆

yossarian
    Free Member

Juggernaut

zokes
    Free Member

65/4 at lunch….

zokes
    Free Member

68/5!!!!

yossarian
    Free Member

5 down and into the tail.

Ashes coming home ; )

mossman

Having great fun winding the Aussies up while I’m stuck working in Sydney 😀

zokes
    Free Member

Mr Cricket’s gone too 😀 😀 😀

theotherjonv

woke up and found I’m still dreaming.

maxray
    Free Member

We are not doing too badly. Shame not to have ripped through them but hell you cant expect to skittle the aussies for sub 200 very often, especially in the must win ashes game for them. Hoping we do get through them after tea though, don’t want Johnson getting too much confidence with a decent batting performance!

allthepies
    Free Member

Seven down 🙂

allthepies
    Free Member

Eight!

Aussie make 200, England won’t be happy with that 😉

Stoner
    Free Member

come on… <250…

LHS
    Free Member

Gotcha!

maxray
    Free Member

Be very happy with 250, a good display and hopefully we could get our eye in and bat long to give our bowlers a rest.

Stoner
    Free Member

harrumph… >250

maxray
    Free Member

🙂 dam i cursed that one 🙁

pjt201
    Free Member

it’s taking longer than i’d hoped to get rid of the tail enders. going to be very late for work at this rate!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 106 total)

The topic ‘Ashes 3rd Test…’ is closed to new replies.