Viewing 40 posts - 561 through 600 (of 693 total)
  • Ashes 2013
  • theotherjonv

So Swann has denied that it’s anyone in the current England dressing room that his ‘up their own arse’ comment was directed at (and has specifically made his peace with kp who was most folk’s favourite suspect).

But it’s a current player, so rules out the ex captains in the commentary boxes.

And it’s insinuated that it’s one of the aussies, although can’t find that a reference to that at all.

So – who’s your money on? Mitchell Johnson I can’t see, ‘cos he’s been down to the bottom and could well go there again. Warner seems too obvious. Watson? Or one of the new boys, Smith or Bailey? Hmmm…..

zokes
    Free Member

So – who’s your money on? Mitchell Johnson I can’t see, ‘cos he’s been down to the bottom and could well go there again. Warner seems too obvious. Watson? Or one of the new boys, Smith or Bailey? Hmmm…..

Doubt it’s MJ or Watson: both are paranoid of their own frailties. My money’s on Clarke, who most of the Aussies I speak to seem to agree that he’s more than a bit of an arse.

yossarian
    Free Member

I reckon Swann is not being honest.

ask1974
    Free Member

Seems like 275 was being far too hopeful 🙁

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Phew that was quick. Can get to bed early now.

Shambolic 🙁

zokes
    Free Member

What a cheat – Bailey knocking the cover off it and not walking 😆

ask1974
    Free Member

Well, it’s from these positions that we’ve let Australia off the hook in two of the last three tests. Let’s see if we can do it properly this time…

theotherjonv

Haddin still in. That’s another of the big differences this time, he’s been a real pest at 7 allowing the tail to score runs without being under real pressure. Prior has scratched around…..

zokes
    Free Member

Dammit dammit dammit!

zokes
    Free Member

Yeeha!

psychle
    Free Member

Interesting game this, good to finally see some belated fight from the Poms… Plenty of life left in this one I suspect, though Engerland in front of course at this stage

zokes
    Free Member

This is why tests are the only form of cricket worth watching. When two teams who are relatively evenly matched play, the result can be anybody’s guess for a very long time.

Now then, wtf didn’t we play like this a month ago???

tiggs121
    Free Member

Looks like my wee bet at 4-1 on England will pay out this time!

Even a poor batting day tomorrow will leave the Aussies with over 300 on a tough pitch. A decent batting day will test Cook on his declaration skills. How many v how much time needed?

dannyh
    Free Member

I’m probably a bit off the pace – but I have to take issue with all the unconditional praise for KP’s knock.

He did come within a yard of holing out to long leg again, when in single figures (did he not?) The end does not necessaraily justify the means. A yard or two less, and we would have been talking about another massively irresponsible dismissal for virtually no runs. Now for the flipside…………..

After that, however, he did knuckle down appropriately and make the top score of the innings – so well done Kevin, at least it seems you can realise when you’ve had a lucky escape and you can then make the most of it.

I still don’t think he’s worth the candle……………..

zokes
    Free Member

I’m probably a bit off the pace – but I have to take issue with all the unconditional praise for KP’s knock.

Now there’s a surprise 😆

I still don’t think he’s worth the candle……………..

H8rz gonna h8 😉

dannyh
    Free Member

Oh come on zokesy, I did give him some praise for the way he knuckled down after nearly giving it away (again). I wasn’t being fatuous either, he genuinely did play well after that. But you can’t score runs in the hutch, and that’s nearly what happened this time as well.

You need to be able to rely on your best batsmen to make the most of their talents. It reminds me a bit of the early 80s Hampshire side that had Barry Richards and Gordon Greenidge opening for them. Absolutely brilliant to watch, obviously, but not that good from the team point of view if your less experienced number three and four have to accept that on any day, in any conditions, against any attack, you might be going in at 200 for two or 10 for two. Solely depending on what mood the ‘gun’ batsmen are in. Or whether they’d had a night on the piss beforehand. Another example might be IVA Richards and IT Botham at Somerset, although lower down the order.

The team must come first.

yossarian
    Free Member

Pietersen’s knock of 70 odd in the first innings means jack shit.

The ashes are lost, Pietersen clearly and obviously plays for himself which is fine when he’s scoring heavily. He isn’t scoring heavily these days in test cricket. A tainted luxury we can no longer afford. Should have been cut loose after the texting thing. Will be cut loose after this series I’m very hopeful.

muggomagic

Just this once it was brilliant watching an English batsman get worked over by an Aussie fast bowler.

[video]http://youtu.be/26OR9LkOI9c[/video]

zokes
    Free Member

What you’ve accurately described there is the problem facing our batters at three (Root) and four (KP), but with a lot less of the 200-2 of late. Cook and/or Carberry are pretty much guaranteed to both be out before the team reached 100 at the moment, so what sort of pressure is that placing on numbers 3, 4, 5? Too much is the answer.

I really don’t understand how you can single KP out when there hasn’t been a single batter in the team who you’ve been able to know you can rely on. Bell’s got the same level of experience KP at this level (they both played in the 2005 series against a much better Australian team), Cook’s played as-near-as-dammit as many tests, Carberry’s an old hand and has made good starts before getting out. They are all culpable.

You are wrong to single KP out.

Pietersen’s knock of 70 odd in the first innings means jack shit.

Apart from being the probable difference between the two teams in this game so far. I trust you’ll show similar disdain for anyone else (Stokes excepted) who has the temerity to make a big score in our last two tests? Ditto the bowlers – trying hard now it doesn’t matter, eh? 🙄

yossarian
    Free Member

Apart from being the probable difference between the two teams in this game so far. I trust you’ll show similar disdain for anyone else (Stokes excepted) who has the temerity to make a big score in our last two tests? Ditto the bowlers – trying hard now it doesn’t matter, eh?

The probable difference between the two sides??? Are you on crack? 🙂 the Aussies are 3-0 up and coasting. Half our side are either rocking backward and forward in a darkened room or wanting to retire mid tour and you have somehow decided that a flawed innings of 70ish in a game that’s not even at the half way point is the ‘difference’. You live in Oz don’t you? Are you wearing a hat when you go out?

And actually no, trying hard now is a bit twatting late. It annoys me more than anything else because it shows clearly the mentality of the senior players before they went 3 down, Pietersen included.

I don’t think anyone is pointing the finger just at Pietersen. Cook’s hugely cautious tactics need to be revised or more likely he needs to step aside. Carberry is a tidy county player but no more than that. Trott is highly unlikely to play any major role for England again. There’s a reason that Bell bats down the order, it’s not because he’s brilliant or consistent that’s for sure. Root will be good in a decade, Prior has totally lost it. Stokes is ginger but talented, Broad at least has tried, Swann can’t be arsed, Anderson looks fairly average with the Aussie ball, Tremlett should be back in the uk for the panto season and Monty’s a piss head. Don’t get me started on Bresnan.

I’m not hopeful to be honest. 🙂

zokes
    Free Member

Are you on crack?

No, but you appear to be having trouble to read the rest of the sentence:

Apart from being the probable difference between the two teams in this game so far

Perhaps you are?

I don’t think anyone is pointing the finger just at Pietersen.

Your post seemed to be, seeing as the vitriol it contained seemed to be thrown only in KP’s direction, and dannyh certainly is.

yossarian
    Free Member

Chill out zokes, you do take things very seriously don’t you?

zokes
    Free Member

Chill out zokes, you do take things very seriously don’t you?

Not really. I’ll happily point out when you’re wrong though, which on this occasion was about three posts up.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

KP is what’s he is. The fools are the ones who think he can be changed. In certain circumstances he may be valuable for a team in others he is not. It’s up to the selectors and the captain to make that call as they see fit.

Having said that, the All Blacks wouldn’t have a prize one ¥¥¥¥ in their team however good he was. May be that’s the lesson to be learned here. Too corrosive for me, I wouldn’t pick him for that reason alone.

(Yossarian three posts up +1 – good shout!!!!)

yossarian
    Free Member

Not really. I’ll happily point out when you’re wrong though, which on this occasion was about three posts up.

Good for you. I think you’ve gone native old boy.

zokes
    Free Member

Good for you. I think you’ve gone native old boy.

Well, it’s an improvement on childishly pretending you’ve not contradicted yourself. Just pretend you meant it as a joke, then we can call it the Edinburgh defence.

And back to the matter in hand, Cook’s field placing is so conservative to these two that I’m surprised he’s not got them all wearing blue ties.

yossarian
    Free Member

Well, it’s an improvement on childishly pretending you’ve not contradicted yourself. Just pretend you meant it as a joke, then we can call it the Edinburgh defence.

I’ve obviously upset you. My apologies. 😆

zokes
    Free Member

I’ve obviously upset you. My apologies.

Not really. I’ve come to expect you to spout vitriol about one thing, only to then claim that you didn’t say that a few posts later.

Would you like to talk about the cricket yet? Or are you happy trolling?

yossarian
    Free Member

Not really. I’ve come to expect you to spout vitriol about one thing, only to then claim that you didn’t way that a few posts later.

Huh? Are you sure you mean me?

Would you like to talk about the cricket yet? Or are you happy trolling?

With you? No, actually I would rather not. I’m not trolling you zokes, just have a different opinion and like a bit of friendly banter. Picked the angry bloke didn’t I…

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Just bowl at the bloody stumps. Are these really test bowlers!?!?

grum
    Free Member

Arghhhh!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Phew bed now. All out for 173 when I wake up?!?

zokes
    Free Member

TFFT!

Pathetic captaining and bowling this morning from England. Pathetic.

Huh? Are you sure you mean me?

Yawn. Yes, I do mean you. You had a nice rant about KP here, then claimed you weren’t singling him out here. Tedium ensued.

grum
    Free Member

Finally.

Haddin has been a massive thorn in our sides this series. So many runs down the order.

Zokes – chill.

zokes
    Free Member

Haddin has been a massive thorn in our sides this series. So many runs down the order.

He should have been stranded not out 30 runs or so ago, if only the bowlers had worked out that Lyon was happy to expose all three pegs every single ball.

yossarian
    Free Member

Yawn. Yes, I do mean you. You had a nice rant about KP here, then claimed you weren’t singling him out here. Tedium ensued.

That’s ridiculous. You need to chill out.

zokes
    Free Member

And you need to stop typing rubbish that you contradict then claim you didn’t mean only a few posts later.

And if you’re not interested in talking about cricket, then can I kindly suggest that you sod off to another thread that isn’t about cricket.

yossarian
    Free Member

I’ve done nothing of the sort. You are desperately casting around to validate your aggressive and ridiculous behaviour. It has nothing to do with me. Grow up zokes, you are acting like a ****.

zokes
    Free Member

I’ve done nothing of the sort.

Are you blind? I showed you where you ranted about KP, then where you claimed you weren’t singling KP out only a couple of posts later. If that’s not contradiction, then you’d better show me where the dictionary redefined the term.

yossarian
    Free Member

I didn’t ‘single’ KP out. The discussion was about him. I contributed on the subject of KP. I then went on to comment on other players. What part of that is hard to grasp? You decided I was singling Pietersen out. Not me. Totally and utterly ridiculous.

Viewing 40 posts - 561 through 600 (of 693 total)

The topic ‘Ashes 2013’ is closed to new replies.