Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Asgard metal bike shed – what's the easiest/quickest base?
  • wl
    Free Member

Building up my Asgard soon and I just want to know what’s the easiest base to lay, and is one really necessary? I think Asgard recommend paving flags or concrete but I know nothing about either. I’ll be doing the work myself with help from a mate, so any tips and advice very welcome. Thanks v much.

stevextc
    Free Member

Paving slabs are easy… concrete yourself is ***ing hard work

nedrapier

levelish, hard ground. Sand. Paving slabs.

alexpalacefan

Like Ned said.
    Dig the top 75mm of soil out. Get it level-ish.
    Add course sand and get it LEVEL. Use a piece of 2×4 with a spirit level zip tied to it.
    Paving slabs. Use a rubber mallet to bed then in.

And you’re done.

APF

wl
    Free Member

Cheers for this, folk, v helpful indeed. I’ll use slabs as it sounds easier. One thing – the area where I’m putting the shed is quite restricted, so will there be a good choice of slab sizes or are they generally a standard size (in which case am I likely to need to somehow cut them to fit, a bit like wall tiles?). Thanks again.

demelitia
    Free Member

They come in a selection of different sizes and thicknesses so you should be able to get somewhere near, having to cut a few paving slabs down shouldn’t cause you too much trouble though. Make sure you tamp the ground down properly so you don’t get slabs sinking/settling where you’ve disturbed the ground.
    Rather than getting the base perfectly level, it might be worth thinking about introducing some fall in to it so it sheds water slightly quicker. It stops it mossing up as easily and can help with water that might freeze on to it in winter. It doesn’t need to be a great deal, just be mindful of whats around the base in the direction the water will run.

mjsmke

If you don’t want to cut the slabs lay the ones round the edge first. Then fit the middle one as best as you can and ill the gaps with stones or cement.

wwaswas

Put a weed control barrier in at some point too maybe?

wl
    Free Member

Thanks again for all this info – v useful. Is damp or condensation an issue in Agards, and is there anything I can do about it if so? I live in one of the wettest bits of Britain.

jonk

I have one of the biggest ones and damp was a problem winter just gone. I ended up putting an oil filled radiator in it and putting it on the lowest setting which cleared the condensation up and cost about 10p a day to run.

scandal42
    Free Member

Slight hijack….

Could you put one of these on a very level ground with gravel as a base?

Or would I have to clear it and slab?

wwaswas

scandal42 – you could build a frame out of tannalised wood and rest that on the gravel and then the asgard on the frame?

demelitia
    Free Member

With regards to the damp; stick a couple of vents in it somewhere. If there’s an overhang on the roof, a hole cut out tucked up under the overhang covered by a vent to keep the rain out will help massively. Bonus points if you can put one low down on the opposite wall to the roof vent too. The convection/chimney effect you get happening will allow allow air to circulate across the entire space getting rid of most of your condensation issue. Try keeping the vents on sides that aren’t blocked by anything so you can get a decent breeze blowing in.
    Three 6″ x 2″ vents underneath the overhang and a half inch gap under the door on my garage has stopped dead any condensation I used to get in there.

If you’re putting the shed on a wooden frame you’d have to take in to account how strong the base of the shed is when not supported by slabs or concrete underneath. You don’t want to be standing in the shed and damaging the floor where it falls between the joists. I’ve never seen one of these sheds up close so I don’t know how much of an issue it would be. Putting deckboards over the top of the frame you make would solve that particular problem and not cost much time or money.
    Good shout on the weed barrier.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Asgard metal bike shed – what's the easiest/quickest base?’ is closed to new replies.