Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Asbestos testing- anyone?
  • althepal

Have a flat I rent out but water came into the bathroom from above, collapsing the suspended ceiling and exposing the (also water damaged) artex skimmed lathe and plaster ceiling.
    Want to get the artex tested for asbestos before I start pulling stuff down to replaster..
    Anyone know of someone in Glasgow that can test this for me, and more importantly, how much it’s gonna cost me?
    Ta.

nuke

Here is who I have used (I found them as they are the lab that the samples are sent to when you pay a third party to take the sample…basically if you’re prepared to take the sample yourself you skip out the middle man)….
    http://cavendishlaboratories.co.uk/

Carefully get a sample, double bag it and send it off with a cheque. They contacted me next day (before the cheque had cleared). Cost about £12 per sample but give them a ring to confirm current price as this was a while ago.

honeybadgerx

I don’t know anyone specific up in Glasgow but here are links to a couple of companies I’ve used through work who take samples over the UK, it might help in finding similar. Tests should cost a couple of hundred quid I’d have thought.

http://www.esg.co.uk/

http://www.dets.co.uk/

althepal

Seen DIY kits and that but was slightly concerned about the getting it in my lungs aspect of it!
    I can always get a suit from work snd get a decent mask I suppose. Can hold my breath too!!
    Appreciate the help folks.

jumpupanddown
    Free Member

lol, get some pikey in to do it, save ur self a bundle..

grahamofredmarley
    Free Member

We Redhills for most of our testing plus ESG.
    Redhills do have a Glasgow office I believe

Redhills labs

batfink
    Free Member

Take it from somebody who knows: take it seriously. Only takes one tiny fiber…..

althepal

I know batfink, already have asthma and that’s bad enough at the mo.
    Have met a few folk affected by it through work and am properly scared by it/respectful of what it can do.
    That’s why I’m wanting it tested.
    Ta for the link Graham. Although its not working so will google it.

grahamofredmarley
    Free Member

apologies for the link.
    Redhills asbestos, in google should find em.

althepal

Got it mate. Ta.
    Will get some quotes and then decide whether to go down the DIY route..

jumpupanddown
    Free Member

Take it from somebody who knows: take it seriously. Only takes one tiny fiber…..

god we used to play in the stuff when we were kids..

poly
    Free Member

I’d give sal in east kilbride a ring. They have a sister company who will sample and advise if you need it, or just do the analysis.

Scotland

Tel: +44 (0)1355 573340

16 Langlands Place,
    Kelvin South Business Park,
    East Kilbride,
    G75 0YF

MurrayWatson
    Free Member

Ring Robert Stevenson at Reigart Demolition in Coatbridge. Tell him Murray Watson recommended him and you should get a good service.

althepal

Excellent. Ta for the recommendations folks.

globalti
    Free Member

Are you deranged? Have you any idea what happens when officialdom hears the dreaded A word? You seriously want to spend money creating a load of hassle for yourself?

Get a pikey to do it for cash or buy yourself a mask and some big plastic bags and get shot of it fast. If you’re worried about the dust, soak everything with a hose first.

batfink
    Free Member

Are you deranged?

Ever hear of Steve McQueen?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Asbestos testing- anyone?’ is closed to new replies.