Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • As there is loads of 'reccomend me a car' threads, here's mine…
  • Zedsdead
    Free Member

I have a pretty good idea of what I want but I’ll ask to see if there is anything else worth considering?

Must be:
    Petrol
    Manual
    Big engine
    Estate

I have me, the wife and our 3 kids to transport plus all our ‘stuff’

Miles per year not a problem
    service history preferable

I was offered a lovely Mercedes estate (E class I think?) from someone here about a year ago but funds did not allow.

It was a V8 capable of 190mph for when I get to the Autobhan….

So that is the kind of thing I’m after, is there anything else considering?

I’m also looking at the RS6 but I think the Merc is bigger for carrying stuff…

Ta

[edit] I should add the budget is 16k Could add a little more if the right car comes along…..

bamford
    Free Member

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2800590.htm

Hopefully link works, in the price range, definately quick,
    Loads of room!

How far it is from you, different story…

Zedsdead
    Free Member

Whilst the RS4 is very nice it’s just a bit too small.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Oooh, I loikes the RS6 too. Can I have a go if you gets one? 🙂

ojom
    Free Member

that is a lot of car for the money

bigyinn
    Free Member

DD it doesnt do flash though. 😆

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

DD it doesnt do flash though.

Ah bugger.

I do reckon that even the lowest specced RS6 has heated wing mirrors though so the fact that it doesn’t do Flash is fine by me.

And I hear Zedsdead is a nice chap what would let an enthusiast like me have a go on his RS6. 🙂

MountainMutant
    Free Member

I’ve got an RS6. It’s not ‘proper’ manual. Tiptronic paddle shift.

But has heated and auto dip mirrors 😉

MM

Stuey01
    Free Member

You’re basically looking at the big powerful estates from the German premium brands I would have thought.

530i Touring? They do a 550 which is silly quick but I can only find it in Auto

Mondeo ST220 estate for a cheaper option?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’ve got an RS6.

Oooh. Gis’ a go. Go on, go on, go on, go on…etc. Peas?

MountainMutant
    Free Member

Petit pois?

Have a picture

Here’s another 😉

MM

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Pictur no good enough. Want drive. 😛

MountainMutant
    Free Member

You can have a drive for a 15K deposit

flange
    Free Member

RS6 of that vintage will have some fairly big bills due soon’ish. S4’s come in manual but they aren’t that big in the back. 335 estate? Or 535 if you need something bigger (to be fair, my 3 series estate was pretty rubbish on space considering was it was).

Astra VXR estate? My mate loved his and did a few trips to the ring in it. And it was HUGE in the back.

Any Merc with a proper AMG badge will be fast but probably auto to match. M5 estates still seem to be north of 20k and mega money.

Or, bit left of centre but you’d get a decent Cayenne S/Turbo for that sort of money and they are silly quick for what they are…

MountainMutant
    Free Member

Zedsdead
    Free Member

Having worked my tits off for the past 15 years I am now in a position to spend a bit of my savings.and yes the a4 is a bit small, I currently have an a6 Quattro saloon (old one) which I’ve modified myself and love but want an estate now for practical reasons and grunt!
    For all those that want a go – I will happily take you out in it for a run haha

MountainMutant
    Free Member

I’ve had it nearly 7 years….I’ve done all the big bills!

The pic on the truck was off for a £700 new alternator! Audi would have shafted me for a lot more!

MM

flange
    Free Member

£15k, although its tip, its got a V10! 5 seconds to 60, limited to 155 but I’m sure 430 bhp will get you further than that if you delimit it

Do they do those in a manual? You could get a late shape one for that sort of money..

5thElefant
    Free Member

Chrsyler 300C comes in a v8 petrol. Mercedes underneath and £16k will quite a recent one.

nickf
    Free Member

Budget?

E39 540i 6-speed manual. Nothing wrong with these other than age, and still lovely to drive.

Mondeo ST220 – better than you think

Subaru Legacy 3.0R – good but not as fast as you want

If auto is acceptable, then Mercedes E55 is the best choice – 17mpg, but faaast, smooth, classy, and nice to own. Or a 550i, though I’d rather the Merc.

nickf
    Free Member

C55’s too small.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

I don’t like the look of the Chrysler so that’s out. Sorry

Zedsdead
    Free Member

Drove an st220 and was massively diss disappointed so no ford either. Budget as mentioned 16 – 20 at a push

Zedsdead
    Free Member

Haven’t looked at c55 so will research thanks. Is it fast? Like shit of a stick fast?
    Ta

loddrik
    Free Member

Alpina B5 Touring, if you can find one. Had a couple of alpinas and they really crcking cars, hens teeth but worth finding one.

If I wasn’t epically poor these days id have another, but it seems like a long long long way off these days 🙁

Merchant-Banker
    Free Member
    br
    Free Member

You may struggle to find a manual, but tbh why would you want one?

I’ve an E39 535i – with £15k you’ll probably be able to buy 5 (535/540) of them…

Must be:
    Petrol
    No
    Manual No
    Big engine Yes (ish)
    Estate Yes

What about a later 535d Touring?

Zedsdead
    Free Member

The porker estate thing is so ugly it’s worth looking at
    And no it doesn’t need to be a 15k minimum spend as I’m happy to look at older cars – we have our own workshop

nickf
    Free Member

And no it doesn’t need to be a 15k minimum spend as I’m happy to look at older cars

Then get an E39 540i manual. Last made in 02, I think, so you’ll be looking at 100k miles, but they’re stunning. Probably cost you £6k for a really good one, but it’ll take some tracking down.

I’ll reiterate that the E55 is well worth considering. The auto box is excellent, and there are sufficient around that you’ll get something really nice for £12-15k. Derestricted you’re looking at a 180ph car.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

I did enjoy driving the bmw’s in the past…

monkey_boy
    Free Member

if i was you 😉

volvo T6

AWD, 290BHP, Massive, Electric EVERYTHING! bollox just noticed its Auto.

MMMMM

bikebouy
    Free Member

This.. I had two 530d sport tourings one after the other, the deisel versions though.. put 200k on them no bother. They do a 535i version, epic mile munchers with epic drivability IMO, you can get them with extras like orange flashing lights on the side and main beams that dip and speedos that go below 90….

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘As there is loads of 'reccomend me a car' threads, here's mine…’ is closed to new replies.