Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 122 total)
  • As the nights draw in….what digital "box set"?
  • gari
    Free Member

A little old now but “The Shield” is great. Starts out ok, starts to look a little predictable towards end of S1 then finds its feet. Harsh ending too!

P-Jay
    Free Member

I started Narcos last night, it’s very good – watched 2 on the bounce which is a record for me.

The Strain is very good, it’s sold as a vampire thing, but most of the vampires are more zombie like – anyway, it was a plausible story of how/why Vam-bies happen which goes further than the usual “magic” explanation which helps an old cynic like me.

The Walking Dead is very good, peaks an troughs though, series 1 is some of the best TV ever, big falling out with the writer meant that series 2 was made with half the total budget, twice the episodes and not much of a story and it shows – almost nothing happens for 6 episodes – it never really gets back to the heights of the first series again, but it’s very good.

Fear the Walking Dead however… I’ve seen 2 so far, it’s not gripping me, it’s started so slowly, and it’s becoming farcical now how long the writers are attempting to hold off the inevitable panic / apocalypse thing. I’d bet the Buses are still running at the end of series 1.

GoT is brilliant, even if the whole medieval/middle earth/dungeons and dragons thing doesn’t appeal, don’t worry, it so good it doesn’t really matter if the genre isn’t for you, the story is great – the downside is a lot of the characters (and it’s a huge cast) look and sound similar and have unusual, completely forgettable names – thankfully with a tag line of “all men must die” they’re killed with alarming regularity so it gets easier.

Better Call Saul is another slow one, but I can’t wait for series 2 – some people say you don’t have to have seen Breaking Bad to enjoy it, but I disagree.

philb88
    Free Member

Sons of Anarchy

Coyote
    Free Member

Dexter.

Cougar

We’ve just finished Humans. Only ten episodes, so not a huge investment. Really enjoyable.

z1ppy

Person of interest +1, watch a couple of episodes & judge it yourself, don’t be put off by what you read as the overview. It just keeps twisting, I love it & Harold, and Lionel and Bear and Shaw and the machine, even a small scary/secret place in my heart for Root (Reece is too cool and has no need of my love)
    What the hell happened to Justified*? It complete disappeared from TV

Oh as for The following, just kill me now, FFS it worse that the walking dead for stupidity. At least James Spader’s having fun with the Blacklist

*apparently returning to sky in September, after a 2 year gap

BillOddie

Sons of Anarchy
    Justified
    Friday Night Lights
    Parks and Recreation

The above have been the things I have enjoyed the most over the last few years.

I’m sure there is other stuff too…

Stoner
    Free Member

bumpity bump.

I tried out Narcos on Sunday evening. I then splurged through all 10 episodes over the next 3 nights.

ORSUM!

Highly recommended. I can’t wait for the second series.

Pablo Escobar was always a background name as I was growing up (born 1975), or the punchline to some joke I never understood about marching powder and odd-named countries many miles away. I never really learnt his story, and this series brings it 650b+ alive.

Mr Robot is next.

(and also have done series 1 of Des Engrenages (Spirals) with Mrs S and straight into series 2. excellent TV)

I tried Orphan Black, and got to the end of Series 1, but felt no urge to start series 2. Excellent acting, but the story seemed either aimless at times, or becoming very predictable at others. Never interesting.

Thanks for the pointers everyone.

DrJ

ITYM Engrenages

Caught a late season of that and it was OK. Got the feeling it was passed it’s best.

No, it’s really not. The last series was terrific.

DrJ

If you like crime drama then ‘The Wire’ really is the king of boxsets, the first series is more than 10 years old now so it’s almost a period piece now, but it’s fantastic TV, some of the dialogue is hard to follow, the accents are think and the ‘street talk’ doesn’t come with subtitles but if you stick with it its very good.

This. The Wire is basically the best thing that has ever been on TV.

nickc

Person of Interest only gets interesting towards the end of the first series when you realise what the machine is actually doing

konabunny
    Free Member

Sons of Anarchy is a bit formulaic in its present season. The time shifting bit with Jax’s dad just didn’t work in the first couple of seasons and they dropped it entirely. Now it’s a bit like playing Wheel of Fortune with plot points: Drea di Matteo shows up again/gang turns on one of its own/prison stabbing/Jax has sex with some hot babe/blah blah blah.

hugo
    Free Member

If you like house of cards then you need to watch the west wing.

Best TV ever made in my opinion.

kimbers

Just rewatching Deep space 9 on Horror channel at the moment, brilliant series,with some great characters, many will dismiss it as scifi, but you are missing one of the best series of the last 20 years and a pioneer of the long term story arc over multiple series

kimbers

The last season of justified is showing on Channel5/Spike on freeview at the moment , won’t start watching it till the whole series is recorded tho!

Coyote
    Free Member

Just finished “Touch of Cloth”. Not really a box set as it’s only about 6 hours total but very good nonetheless. Strongly recommended.

deepreddave
    Free Member

Sopranos will not have dated unduly. It’s a must see for any 40+ 🙂
    Peaky Blinders is also good (someone said they’d seen series 3 but I thought it wasn’t out till 2016).
    Dexter – really really good easy watching (am on the penultimate series and worried about the reviews of the final one but will have to watch it).
    Homeland if you’ve not seen it.
    Have noted some of the others for later viewing – cheers.

tang
    Free Member

I hit narco’s hard, snorted up in 3 sessions. Def looking forward to the Bridge! Still after something for now.

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

Started watching Wayward Pines last night. Liked it so much I watched 6 episodes in a row.

Grimm is also good.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

worried about the reviews of the final one but will have to watch it

Don’t, it will ruin everything.

deepreddave
    Free Member

schrickvr6 – Member

worried about the reviews of the final one but will have to watch it

Don’t, it will ruin everything.
    The very definition of a dilemma. How can I resist having invested hours but know I won’t be able to ‘unsee’ something I’ve seen!

konabunny
    Free Member

By the way big dummy that was very funny and painful

Coyote
    Free Member

The final season of Dexter almost spoiled everything that had gone before it. By all means watch it but then forget it. It really was that bad.

clareymorris

Penny Dreadful……wierd, dark, occulty…very good
    Justified……great dialogue and character interaction, love it !
    Boardwalk Empire….set in prohibition America. Fantastic writing
    The Leftovers….again v wierd but engaging!
    Peaky Blinders……great gangster drama set in Brum…fantastic soundtrack (nick cave, white stripes)!
    Game of Thrones…..epic, a surprise in every episode!!!!!!
    BBad….loved it’s twists and turns , very fast moving!
    Walking dead….another fave….zombies, what’s not to love!
    Daredevil….best superhero viewing ever!

steve-g
    Free Member

Another vote for The West Wing here, I have watched most of the things that we get on these Boxset threads, have started one or 2 myself to get recommendations. After maybe 3 years of having it sat there on my hard drive I finally decided to watch the West Wing more out of desperation after running out of House to watch and having no enthusiasm to go and pick up Justified or Boardwalk Empire again than enything else. I mean how much can actually happen in a drama about the White House this is going to be rubbish….fast forward to the end of Season 1, its 1am, I have to be up at 6am but had to stay up for another 2 episodes to see what would happen, thoroughly engrossing.

My top level TV recommendations

The Wire
    The Sopranos
    The West Wing
    Breaking Bad
    Six Feet Under

Then for Crime Drama specifically as per the OP

The Shield
    Southlands

scandal42
    Free Member

We are watching Sopranos.

This has resulted in me eating delicious pasta and other Italian meals nearly every night of the week, my red wine consumption has also seriously increased.

A tv show has never made me this hungry.

It’s brilliant.

allthepies
    Free Member

Just coming to the end of Blacklist S1.

It’s a bit meh and variable but I’ve hung on in there. Spader is excellent though.

avdave2

After Breaking Bad and The Wire I had high hopes for The Sopranos and while it’s ok it doesn’t seem to have grabbed me like those did.
    Narcos on the other hand is another one where I can’t wait to watch the next episode.

hughjengin
    Free Member

Sorry bit predictable from me but
    The Soprano’s
    Breaking Bad
    and I am now on S3 of Walking Dead

Loved all those.
    Mad Men..hmm not so much

metalheart
    Free Member

Has anyone watched Lilyhammer? It looks interesting.

Also, they made season 2 of Les Revenants yay!

With Engrenages I thought seasons 2 & 3 were the best.

Season 2 of Orphan Black better than 1 (or least which ever has that episode with Helena, blood spattered white dress and a knife). Def my favourite. Utter tosh though :mrgreen:

Talking of which, I enjoyed Marvel Agents of SHIELD season 2.

DrJ

Yes but the joke ran out after the first episode.

blueflamespecial
    Free Member

Stoner, I reckon you should scrub Sopranos from your Maybe list and stick it right at the top of the Must Watch one.

It is absolutely superb. The acting and writing are spot on. It’s also hilarious! I think Breaking Bad (which is also great) owes a great deal of it’s success to The Sopranos/David Chase.

Another series I’ve not seen mentioned yet (and judging by your posts I think you may like) is an Italian drama called Gomorrah.

It was a Sky Atlantic show (available on Google play) centered around the Camorra/criminal underworld in Naples.

I can’t for the life of me understand why it isn’t more popular as it’s excellent. I can only imagine it’s because people simply haven’t heard of it. That or the subtitles.

One series in (2nd out next year) and it’s my favourite show of the last couple of years by a long way.

If you like crime drama check it out.

nickc

Walking dead….another fave….zombies, what’s not to love!

well, the zombies for a start…a baddy with no perspective, motivation, or point…

I enjoyed Blacklist.

scandal42
    Free Member

I thought it was excellent. Totally different and certainly didn’t get bored after season 1.

A good winter watch with a whisky or two

Cougar

Mr Robot is next.

Mr Robot is just superb, I really enjoyed it. Very accurate use of tech too.

Just rewatching Deep space 9

The problem with DS9 is the cost of entry is high. It’s probably my favourite of the Treks, but it takes ages to find its feet. You’ve basically got to wade through two seasons of utter pish to get to some of the finest sci-fi ever made.

Stoner
    Free Member

Gomorrah

cheers blueflamespecial, I will check it out.
    Yes I like Euro-drama. I have no probs with subtitles and it’s good for my language skillz too.

I like inner voice commentary, like Mr Robot or Narcos. It even worked for Bloodline to a point.

mefty
    Free Member

Love/Hate is an Irish criminal gang series that is worth trying, I have only seen the first three series but it was very good.

thehustler
    Free Member

Nit sure if its been mentioned above but the box set ‘justified’ with Timothy Olyphant (from deadwood etc) is superb

tenfoot

Currently mid-way through the fourth series of Sons of Anarchy. I only started watching them at the beginning of October. It’s one of those ‘just one more episode before bed’ programmes.

Seems like Lilyhammer might be my next watch, after I have finished with SAMCRO.

Rockape63
    Free Member

See no one has mentioned Rectify which I ‘taped’ the whole lot on a marathon evening on AMC (new sat channel) I haven’t watched it yet, but see it gets 8.4/10 from 13,310 reviewers on Amazon….so should be half decent.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 122 total)

The topic ‘As the nights draw in….what digital "box set"?’ is closed to new replies.