Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)
  • As an ex-smoker I am beginning to realise how offensive my old habit is…
  • hora
    Free Member

The foxy types start to acquire bad, thin or leathery skin though in their early 30's onwards. Thats when they stop being alluring livewires and become liabilities at parties and 'oh thats Kate' (rolls eyes).

Sorry- I know over various threads I've come across as almost hateful(?) of smokers. Its not smokers, its smoking and the Tobacco companies behind the addiction and political lobbying.

Hairychested
    Free Member

The Southern Yeti – Member

No the worst is sleeping with a girl who smokes!
    No, the worst is not sleeping with her!

Antonyfw
    Free Member

I've long theorised that girls who smoke are willing to put anything in their mouths.

I have empirical evidence of this

hora
    Free Member

I and many many others also have empirical evidence of this with the same girl Antonyfw is relating to.

CountZero

I've never smoked, and I'm really glad that it's been stopped in public places. I've been sat in restaurants eating when someone, often female, has sat down at my table and lit up. One girl was foreign, European, and just couldn't understand why I got pissed off with her blowing smoke across my dinner!

hora
    Free Member

That was a come-on signal. You flappin like a Goose probably confused her..

JulianA
    Free Member

Well I used to be able to ride 30 – 40 miles easily and regularly on 5 or so Hamlets and a few beers a day when I was unemployed… No longer possible for reasons unconnected with smoking.

Maybe I would have been able to ride further if I hadn't had the Hamlets and the beers, who knows, but I never felt it held me back.

I enjoy smoke free restaurants as I don't smoke around people who are eating and don't appreciate it when people smoke when I'm eating.

'Scuse me, just sparking up…

Right, back now.

Interesting that Cretans have the third longest life expectancy and the third highest cigarette consumption per capita… (a lot to do with diet, I think) and ironic that Tony Bliar's [sic] Labour club is closing down due to the smoking ban and high alcohol taxes!

Well done for quitting though – no way is it easy!

Live and let live…

hora
    Free Member

I found that when I wasn't working the weight slid off of me and my fitness went to silly-levels. I think its due to stress. Without knowing it at work you have a certain base-level of stress that affects your metabolism and, well…poo. Notice how you empty yourself inside out when your not working compared to in the office/a really busy day?

Antonyfw
    Free Member

I and many many others also have empirical evidence of this with the same girl Antonyfw is relating to.

Tell your mum i said Hi.

convert

We had the leaving do for the sixth form students leaving school this week. As they had now technically left the school they were free to smoke and drink as they wished in front of staff rather than the usual clandestine sneaking off into bushes games that they play for the rest of the year and we have to pretend to try to stop them.

Depressingly I would estimate more than half of them were smoking, maybe more. Clearly the advertising/sponsorship bans etc make zero difference & in a way it would be good to get the advertising & sponsorship back so the tobacco profits were at least being shared around. I just hope it's a phase for these kids and most of them will grow out of it before it is too late.

clareymorris

10 years clean here too, and yes it does bother me when I walk out of a building through a wall of smoke! ho hum though, what can you do!

slowjo
    Free Member

Gave up in 1984! 🙂

I hate the way (when you are out on your road bike) you can smell smoker's cars as they pass.

(There you are, got road riding and anti smoking into one sentence!) 😉

Hadge
    Free Member

My girlfriend smokes cigarettes and I so wish she didn't. She did give them up for a short while but a stressful episode happened in her life and it started all over again. She knows exactly how I feel and I just hope one day she will quit for good. My mum died partly due to a smoking related illness so that's why I detest it with a passion, you lose someone you love and it's horrible.
    The smell lingers on clothes and no matter how much they try mask it, it still isn't good and I can always tell when I've been her house and when I see her kids. I'll keep badgering her I guess but it will be for her good too and not just mine.

hora
    Free Member

Tell your mum i said Hi.

Shes does miss the tag-team days she shared with your mum, sister and the Tongan-national Rugby team 😛

Depressingly I would estimate more than half of them were smoking, maybe more. Clearly the advertising/sponsorship bans etc make zero difference & in a way it would be good to get the advertising & sponsorship back so the tobacco profits were at least being shared around. I just hope it's a phase for these kids and most of them will grow out of it before it is too late.

The depressing part is is this is the time when Tobacco companies pick up their customers for life…the rebellious 'look at me I'm living dangerously infront of my peers etc'. What they don't realise is they are being sucked into exploitation as a lifelong victim.

Thankfully I had a GP who sat me down and spent her time talking to me about my addiction. I left her Surgery and never looked back. She explained what a mug I had been and asked if I really wanted to have more frequent chest-infections that eventually became permanent.

rOcKeTdOg

well done OP, i'm not getting into the smoking outside pubs/cafes etc debate, i upset to many people last time 🙄

hora
    Free Member

i'm not getting into the smoking outside pubs/cafes etc debate, i upset to many people last time

I'm kinda looking forward to someone coming up and sitting next to my young un outside a Cafe/outdoors then attempting to light up. I think 'do you mind' would be suffice 🙂

Its difficult to say this without a small child present as others will look at you as some sort of party-spoiling berk.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Well done OP. But as you were a smoker mr hora, why would a few puffs of smoke passing vaguely by you make any difference compared to the years you smoked yourself? (totally understand about your child)

hora
    Free Member

Sometimes, only sometimes I get a whiff of passive smoke and it actually gives me a pang of craving. Depending on the mood I am in it can really wind me up.

Its such a potent drug. Once a smoker…. deep down you'll always be susceptible….hence my '10yrs clean'.

DrJ

I've just come back from Greece (Rodos) and it was a bit of a shock to be surrounded by people smoking again, particularly in restaurants.

I'd be bit shocked too, as there is a smoking ban in Greek restaurants. I guess it may not apply outside, though …

hora
    Free Member

Depending on the mood I am in it can really wind me up.

Its even alittle safe to say I become like..
    .ton
    when it happens

RichPenny
    Free Member

I think 'do you mind' would be suffice

To which the correct answer is "No, I don't mind at all" 😀

hora
    Free Member

Please awfully so old chap.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

aaah for the addiction not the health…fair enough
    Still smoking here, I think that smell can make me fancy a smoke too.
    One drag is sometimes all I need to fix the craving

pegasus
    Free Member

it's been nine days now, effing love being fag free. Smoking is crap, smokers know this but the addiction will deny it, and I don't care if I sound like some born again C it's true.

alpin
    Free Member

i've started smoking…. at the end of a day's ride
    i quite like having a rollie with a beer or glass of red.

the main reason i bought a pouch of baccy is because i haven't any 😉 😉 to smoke…. well, i have, but can't really be seen to be lighting one up at the end of the day as i would usually do with my mates back home….

my old man smoked from 14-62 (now 66) and to hear him coughing his lungs up each morning tears at my innards… it's a shitty habit.

alpin
    Free Member

oh, and in Bavaria they've just voted to tighten the already (relatively) tight smoking laws. you won't be able to light up at the Oktoberfest next year….

Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘As an ex-smoker I am beginning to realise how offensive my old habit is…’ is closed to new replies.