Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • As a whole, would you say we've had a dry summer?
  • swoosh
    Free Member

We had a really dry June and early July but since then it's been a bit wet but still warm so the ground conditions have dried quickly. We got a crack in our front lawn about 30mm wide which was because it was so dry for so long, but it hasn't closed up even with all the recent rain which surprised me and got me thinking.

So back to the title, would you say that the past 3months of so have been drier than normal summer (past 2 years excepted) ??

nickc

pretty much down South

Kit
    Free Member

No its done nothing but pish with rain here in Edinburgh since the 1st of July 🙁

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/mobile/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-11028657?SThisFB

D0NK

North(west) nope dry spring not summer.
    south, yes probably, smug gits
    🙂

clubber
    Free Member

Yes, I reckon it's been a good summmer (here in Bristol). For the last few years, August has been reasonably wet so this is no big suprise. Hopefully this year will be as it's been for a while and nice and dry for September.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

In Bradford, yes very dry. The moors are the driest I have seen them for 20 years, its great where normally I would need to hose the bike down after most rides, all the trails have been firm and only surface water.

Drac

Yes pretty much in Northumberland not hot but not cold either and hardly much rain at all.

BigDummy
    Free Member

It's been very dry since March in London. I've ben drizzled on and mud-splashed on rides twice in two days at the weekend, and was outraged. 😀

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Yes ish, dry late spring early summer, then a bit of a wet July/August. I was choking on dust a couple of motnhs back, not its not so bad.

But then being ever the optimist I ride semi slick tyres right through untill the swampthings come out.

bramblerash
    Free Member

not in cornwall, it's rained nearly all summer, we get a couple of days of sun then it rains again for another week, thats the usual cornish summer though!

Ro5ey
    Free Member

In the southeast then yes…. apart from since the school kids broke up for summer hols 4/5 weekd ago… but they go back in a week or two so not long before the dry weather returns.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Yes, here in Brum I'd say so. The last few weeks have been a bit crap but I think that's what the last couple of summers were like pretty much all the way through.

You can't really ever trust your memory on these things though!

neverfastenuff
    Free Member

I would not call it a particularly dry summer although we came close to hosepipe bans in some areas, I think the last month has been too humid to call dry,, heavy cloud cover most days keeping latent heat in, in all it's been an uncomfortable summer

Hohum
    Free Member

Kit – Member
    No its done nothing but pish with rain here in Edinburgh since the 1st of July

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/mobile/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-11028657?SThisFB

June was our summer, wasn't it? We have then been stuck in Autumn 🙁

ahwiles
    Free Member

dry-ish here in sheffield; ladybower is a bit low, and most of the little streams have dried up.

not too midgy.

perfect.

wors

Yeah i think so. July and august have been a bit damp not too bad.

tiger_roach
    Free Member

Surrey boy here – August has been as poor as usual but before then was the best for a few years. Had a lot of rain last night.

DaRC_L

Yep – but then it depends whether August is the last month of summer or the first month of autumn.
    I tend to think of May – June – July as Summer which was very dry

footflaps

Dry as a bone, my lawn turned brown and died about 3 months ago and has only started to recover (a bit) in the last two weeks with the recent rain.

chipps

May was nice. Mayhem AND Sleepless were bone dry… But June/July/August were pretty showery up north. And even when it was dry, it wasn't blue-sky sunny very often, so I'm erring on the side of 'summer-fail' and hoping we get some nice blue sky crispy days this autumn.

alex222
    Free Member

first day of autumn is september 23rd this year.

becky_kirk43
    Free Member

Up until a couple of weeks ago yes, got a bit wet the last couple of weeks.

LBS (where I work) got a bit flooded once already and I suspect with the rain again today it might have got somewhat damp inside again!

But I think if you compare to averages and what not it has been dry (and I like it 😛 )

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

It's been raining in mid Wales since the start of July … but you knew that already 😉

amodicumofgnar

first day of autumn is september 23rd this year.

I'm going for the first day of Autumn being some time around the middle of last week. Trees seem to be going over very early on the west side of the Peak.

swamp_boy

Dry right through most of June and July in Herts / N London. Had some heavy downpours in the last couple of weeks but its warm enough to dry the ground out fairly well. Heavy downpours have eroded some bits and made them more interesting.

alex222
    Free Member

I'm going for the first day of Autumn being some time around the middle of last week. Trees seem to be going over very early on the west side of the Peak.

http://www.calendardate.com/year2010.php

sorry september 22 at 11:09 pm

http://solar-system-astronomy.suite101.com/article.cfm/first_day_of_fall

amodicumofgnar

Going of the meteorological calendar its a week on Wednesday but the trees have still gone over early. So, Autumn starting when you see signs of it – middle of last week for the west side of the Peak.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

yeah a good summer compared with recent ones

steviegil
    Free Member

Pish poor summer up here in Argyll… 😥

MrNutt
    Free Member

its been the driest for years!

Mugboo

So far so good round Bradford. At no point have the trails turned back to mush as they have at times the last two summers!

Del

snigger.
    we've had three weeks of rain ( and they were solid weeks of proper wet ) since about march or april in devon. last few days have been a little damp, but it's had the decency to rain at night, mostly. anything else has just been dampning.
    😀

bassspine
    Free Member

Here in this bit of Devon, it's been the sweatiest summer for years. A few showers but nothing nasty until last weekend – and that was just a day of rain. It's looking nice again today through my special 'looking-out-the-window-o-tron'

Hi Del <waves>

john_drummer
    Free Member

Is that Bradford on Avon ?

I live in Baildon (about 5 miles away from Bratfud) and, while june was dry, it's rained every day since.

swoosh
    Free Member

From the MetOffice website

"July saw the largely settled, static weather patterns of spring and early summer replaced by a more changeable Atlantic type. This airstream was relatively warm but often cloudy. Whilst the north-western half of the UK saw more rainfall than in recent months, the south-eastern half remained drier than average with many warm days. There was a west-east gradient in mean temperature, ranging from close to average in much of Scotland, Northern Ireland, Wales and western England to over 2.0 °C above average in East Anglia. July saw over twice the normal rainfall in a broad swathe from west Wales through north-west England, southern and eastern Scotland to Shetland. It was also wetter than normal across most of the rest of Scotland and Wales, and in Northern Ireland. In sharp contrast, much of the Midlands, eastern and southern England were very dry with less than half the normal amount in counties from Cambridgeshire to Sussex. Overall, it was duller than average, especially in many western areas. The only places with more sunshine than normal were those towards the east coast and in the Northern Isles."

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘As a whole, would you say we've had a dry summer?’ is closed to new replies.