• This topic has 47 replies, 34 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Jamie.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • As a non-subscriber, I feel like I'm not welcome
  • TrailriderJim
    Free Member

They seem to be cramming ads into every nook and orifice on this site. It’s as though STW are saying “subscribe or we’ll annoy the shit out of you” because I’m sure that’s the motive over and above revenue from them.

Given the mag’s cover price has also been ramped up beyond the norm, it seems it’s subscribers who are only welcome. I never subscribe to bike mags, because only a few issues ever appeal to me. Subscribe and it all gets a bit samey very quickly.

Surely there is still a model to suit casual buyers, if we still have disposable income and the desire to buy the odd issue now and again?

Rorschach
    Free Member

Dilettante 🙄
    Bet you hav’nt even got the tattoo.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Please accept a full refund, etc.

PiknMix
    Free Member

I feel ever so welcome 🙂

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

Good word!

AdamW
    Free Member

Premier lite or premier digital aren’t that expensive. Otherwise I guess a code in each mag that gives you a month’s web access to ad-free website but only for that month?

scotroutes

You can get a Lite subscription for as little as £1.49 per month. That will get rid of most ads and provides at least some revenue for the running cost of the forum. Seems like a pretty good deal to me.

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

I like buying a physical mag every now and then. If they are distributed to the masses in Tesco et al, surely a lower cover price makes more sense, as retail must be all about shifting units.

scotroutes

Is that coming from your vast knowledge of publishing? Next you’ll be telling us that owning a bike shop is an easy way to make money 🙂

AdamW
    Free Member

IIRC Mark wrote a missive on this. I think he said that in shops they have to provide twice as many copies due to shopper phsychology, with people not wanting to pick up a copy unless there are many on the shelves, leading to an awful lot being pulped which is a waste of money and resource.

That’s why magazines like subscribers, it helps them to know how many copies to print.

ratherbeintobago

as retail must be all about shifting units.

IIRC Mark explained that it’s not as simple as that, and the mags in the newstands are distributed on sale-or-return, so if they don’t sell, ST Towers get them back. As such, it’s better for them as a business to try and persuade as many of the people buying the mag to subscribe as possible.

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

So you’d think they’d can the idea of retail. Oh well, not trolling, just curious. £1.49 a month sub to rid the ads seems close to something I’d consider. Will have to take another look at the sub options.

midlifecrashes

Ta for reminding me to turn off my advert suppressor for STW again, turned it off after a noisy ad got through the net. I try to remember to click through a few too. Bills gotta be paid, and I’d miss the place if they couldn’t carry on. Paper mags have got to be hard to finance in the tablet/digital/torrent freebie age.

njee20
    Free Member

I like the Premier Lite sub, no ads, get to read all the online content and it’s a small price to pay for the hours I waste here!

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Your choice mate. You want everything for free?

molgrips
    Free Member

You can get a Lite subscription for as little as £1.49 per month. That will get rid of most ads and provides at least some revenue for the running cost of the forum. Seems like a pretty good deal to me.

+1

It’s not expensive for the amount of my life it consumes service it provides, plus it’s cheaper than heroin.

bearnecessities

As a non-subscriber, I feel like I’m not welcome

**** off.

midlifecrashes

plus it’s cheaper than heroin.

Stop mocking, I can stop the heroin any time I like. STW…

zippykona

This forum has managed to secure me nearly 2 years free Internet from BT.
    Has fixed my bike many a time and saved from from the mother of all **** ups on my wood flooring.
    Buying a subscription is a small price to pay.

piemonster

As a subscriber, I feel like I’m not welcome

bearnecessities

Yeah, but as a subscriber you get a cuddle and an open discussion about what’s troubling you.

matt_outandabout

I just like having the P before my name.
    It gives me kudos.

binners

Are the peasants revolting again? Moaning from their primary-coloured, we’ll-be-right-back-after-this-message side-lines? How frightful!

I believe they’re starting an Eton inspired scheme where you become a fully paid up members fag. In return for submitting yourself to unspeakable acts committed after lights out, you get to read the discarded print copies of the members, stained with the butter drips from crumpets.

spursn17
    Free Member

I don’t even feel welcome at home! 😀

Drac

More incentives for subscribers are in the pipeline, no idea what they are at this moment it time. You could ask a P member to gift you a free month.

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

I think my trouble stems from getting a free month from a flyer on my windscreen at the Dyfi Enduro. I’m now just consumed by jealousy but not quite consumed enough to stop being a tight arse 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

I could gift you a months premier membership, but you seem like a right whingy git.

matt_outandabout

Trailrider Jim – Member

I think my trouble stems from getting a free month from a flyer on my windscreen at the Dyfi Enduro. I’m now just consumed by jealousy but not quite consumed enough to stop being a tight arse
    You tasted freedom you see. Now you can’t go back to ads. 😉

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Flutters eyelashes at Dez 🙂

camo16
    Free Member

Well I quite like the ads. They remind me that there’s loads of stuff out there and it’s mostly shiny and worn by hot people.

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

All donations gratefully received (email address in profile). Long shot but worth a go wasn’t it?

jonba
    Free Member

I don’t feel welcome but I come here anyway just to troll.

camo16
    Free Member

don’t stand about whining with your dick in your hand.

You’re presuming Jim isn’t short for Jimima, trailofdestruction…

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

I checked the profile photo. It’s not just a hat rack y’know.

Jamie
    Free Member

£1.49 a month still seems a bit steep.

How about 37p and a hug?

nickdavies

How about 37p and a hug?

I thought the going rate on here for all bike related purchases was a packet of biscuits and a friendly chat?

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

Thank you Pik n Mix!

Jamie
    Free Member

Welcome to relying on the kindness of strangers.

PiknMix
    Free Member

Sharing is caring 🙂

CountZero

Been on here for eleven years, was a subscriber for a few, but I no longer buy any bike mags, and I really can’t say I’m bothered by the ads, and they certainly don’t make me feel unwelcome just because subs people don’t get them.
    I just enlarge the text area to fill the screen and ignore the ads.
    They’re more of an issue at work, however, triggering our security firewall, but I rarely get time to do more than have a quick browse.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘As a non-subscriber, I feel like I'm not welcome’ is closed to new replies.