Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Artists/bands that still sound relevant/'fresh'/intresting today
  • vondally
    Free Member

given the Brits awards last night and listening to the new best thing, what bands are artists still sound relevant, that oh that is really good
    my rediscoveries are

Elvis Costello……….
    Kate Bush…..1978 wuthering heights….
    THe the …soul mining

lemonysam
    Free Member

Shuggie Otis – Inspiration Information is still as mad and as fantastic as ever. If someone had released it now it would probably still end up a classic.

fasthaggis

The Bunnymen

It was the choice of music in the shed last night.
    Great intros 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

Madonna

jambalaya
    Free Member

Certainly Costello, still enjoying his music new and old 37 years after hearing it for the first time. The The I have lost touch with, This is the Day remains a big favourite of mine.

failedengineer

John Martyn. Compare him to that lad who won some Brit awards.

Small Faces

Sandy Denny

The list is endless (almost)

lunge

Define “relevant”.

A lot of the music I listen to us from the late 90’s/early 00’s. I still love it and think it to be very good, hence me listening to it, but the large majority shows it age and would hold little or no interest to the younger folk amongst us. I’d suggest Kate Bush and Costello would be similar.

Madonna is about as timeless as it gets in my eyes. I’m not a particular fan but she does do a damn fine job of appealing to a wide age range.

chambord
    Free Member

Nick Drake?

John Martyn. Compare him to that lad who won some Brit awards.

John Martyn is great, but I wont hear a bad word said against Ed Sheeran (Assuming that’s who you mean).

lucky7500

Beastie Boys. Aside from Licensed To Ill I’m fairly certain that you could give a ‘young person’ any of their music and pass it off as a new release.

edhornby

lunge makes a good point – I love Elvis Costello and his best stuff hasn’t lost any of its appeal, but I would bet that if it was a new release in today’s market it wouldn’t sell because Elvis’ vocals aren’t powerful (compare ElvisC to say Sam Smith) and the lyrical complexity isn’t what people want nowadays unless it’s rapped..

BoardinBob

Madonna is about as timeless as it gets in my eyes. I’m not a particular fan but she does do a damn fine job of appealing to a wide age range.

Really? She ruled in the eighties and tapered off in the nineties. Nowadays I think she’s an absolute tragedy that’s trying to cling on to her youth and popularity. When was the last time she released a track that came anywhere close to her eighties magic?

lunge

Really? She ruled in the eighties and tapered off in the nineties. Nowadays I think she’s an absolute tragedy that’s trying to cling on to her youth and popularity. When was the last time she released a track that came anywhere close to her eighties magic?

I’d agree, but then I’m old enough to remember her 80’s 90’s stuff and so judge her recent material against it. Her newer stuff to me is not even in the same ballpark. Yet people a lot younger than I (and I suspect you!) will still have heard of her, respect her and think she is “relevant”.

scruff
    Free Member

Beastie Boys 2nded. My 5 and 7 year olds love listening to Egg Man.

vondally
    Free Member

IO think with the ipod generation now spotify young people listen to more varied music ….a lot of singles rather than albums.

Surprised generally at what young people listen to…..ELO ????

Relevant, yes good point definition is hard but

musically interesting different not heard before…
    vocally different…Costello is interesting different not all the power blasts
    Something to say…then Jam/Carter USM.Now Young Fathers interesting/Dels even more so/

all music is personal but some thing sound as good in the 70s as they do now

THe SPecials Ghost Town…… relevant now as then sadly same as Public Enemy

nedrapier

Whenever I listen to Pixies’ Doolittle, I think that there isn’t much to tie it to any period. If it was new out tomorrow, it would still be fresh.

And on the relevance front, the 33-year-old Dead Kennedys track “Kinky sex makes the world go round” came up on shuffle last night. A couple of things change, but a depressing amount just keeps rolling round again and again.

vondally
    Free Member

I think that there isn’t much to tie it to any period

that should have been the thread title

BoardinBob

Yet people a lot younger than I (and I suspect you!) will still have heard of her, respect her and think she is “relevant”.

I guess the challenge is “relevant” is a subjective term. No doubt Madonna is a huge influence on the Lady Gagas etc of today, but it’s interesting to see her last two albums have been her worst sellers (obviously older albums have had more time to build up sales, but I doubt they’ll get anywhere close to her peak.

http://statisticbrain.com/madonna-music-career-statistics/

It’s very cringeworthy to see a 56 year old woman singing about MDMA 😳

Northwind

It’s not that long ago but the number of new bands that get hailed as new and exciting for sounding exactly like the Prodigy is bizarre. “Hi, we’re Pendulum, and we’re so Prodigy we even cover Voodoo People” “Ooh cutting edge!”

I’d like to say Refused but they do only have one good song. And it’s a peach, and would sound as brilliant today as it did the day it came out.

darrell
    Free Member

Bad Religion

crankboy
    Free Member

My son likes Stiff Little Fingers , The Pogues , Red Guitars and Billy Bragg . He is 3 1/2. I would say he likes the rhythms.

emsz
    Free Member

velvet underground, pixies, radiohead.

kcal

David Byrne / Talking Heads.

As above for Kate Bush, Elvis Costello. Both artists that have kept moving (slowly, for KB, continuous re-invention for EC). Or are timeless. Still enjoy my The The CDs (still can’t get the Absolutely sketch out of my head though).

I’ll think of others no doubt.

CountZero

After thirty-odd years, I give you The Pop Group, still unprepared to compromise:

[video]http://youtu.be/KrfhR5gIyBc[/video]

I would also suggest Gang of Four, now down to one original member, Andy Gill, but his spiky, angular guitar is the main component of their sound anyway. Looking forward to their new album.
    Sadly, no video available at the moment for any of their new stuff.
    Agree with Costello and KB, I would also add David Byrne, he’s still creating interesting and exciting music, and his tour with St Vincent was really quite extraordinary, one of the most mesmerising live shows I’ve seen.

PrinceJohn

2 albums that have stood the test of time for me & still sound as fresh as the day they were released are,

Rage Against the Machine’s self titled debut & DJ Shadow’s Entroducing.

DezB
    Free Member

Oh nos! Me and CountZero agree on some music stuff! 😉
    That Pop Group album is marvellous! And the new Gang of Four is much better than I expected .. Obey the Ghost from it is up there with some of their old stuff.
    Whether it’s “relevant” and would be liked by young folk who weren’t into the band in them “good ol’ dayz”, I couldn’t say.

DezB
    Free Member

I’m stunned people say The The. I was a huge fan back then, but its soooo dated.
    I think Talk Talk stand the test of time better, if we’re talking alliterative T bands..

epicyclo

Painters & Dockers “I’m going to nude school” but with video clip…

TISM

Sara Brightman in “Dive”

Kate Bush, Bjork, Piaf

kcal

Hm, just been revisiting – is this nostalgia or timeless, not sure –

10,000 Maniacs – Blind Man’s Zoo. Most excellent.
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxLHQ4bATUI[/video]

fasthaggis

On the way in this morning ,I listened to ‘Original Pirate Material’
    Still sounds ‘relevant/’fresh‘/intresting today

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Artists/bands that still sound relevant/'fresh'/intresting today’ is closed to new replies.