Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Artist types, something really nice for a gift idea,budget £20. But not a pencil
  • rockhopper70

My middle daughter, 13yo, loves art and we have bought her af few bits and bobs for Christmas but in an effort to ensure all the kids get the exact same outlay on gifts, we have £20 left in her pot.
    I thought of something arty based, but perhaps a fantastic, perhaps disproportionately expensive “thing”, something that can be bought for £2, but a really good one, a keepsake even, for £20.
    But something more interesting than a pen or pencil…..

twistedpencil

I’ve always appreciated a new set of pencils, but they are consumables so get your dilemma, £20 should get you a nice pencil sharpener that will last a lifetime…

twistedpencil

http://www.pencils4artists.co.uk/faber-castell-artists-erasing-sharpening-knife-c2x12849298

Quite like this, might ask Santa for one… I’m a hobbyist not in anyway serious btw.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    flyingmonkeycorps

One of those posable mannequin things?

mrsfry
    Free Member

The Works

Get bits and bobs that they can all share. This shop has lots of art stuff and they are plasterd around a lot of high streets.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Some really good paper.

ctk
    Free Member

Sketchbooks? Paper? Felt tips? I guess at 13 she uses all sorts of materials.

art shop

rockhopper70

Done the bits and bobs thing, just a after the show stopper item.

ctk
    Free Member

A really nice book on art- let me have a think…

BigJohn

As the post above – a book of heavy watercolour papers and one of those pencil sharpeners that has 3different heads and keeps the shavings inside.
    Or a sable brush.

Esme
    Free Member

A set of 30 Caran D’ache watercolour pencils?

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Best two things anyone ever bought me (artist-related)

1. This book: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/3791337831/ref=pd_aw_sim_sbs_14_2?ie=UTF8&dpID=61ZnsgBRW1L&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL115_SR115%2C115_&refRID=0C7A70Y7ED7JGQG6VFRV

2. A wooden case containing acrylic paints, flow improver medium, palette board, brush, pencil, putty rubber, and room in the lid for a couple of small painting supports. I love the ‘kit’ feel of it, it also gets rapidly personalised through use. Wouldnt be without it. Well, that and a tabletop easel. Both can be grabbed instantly and I have everything I need to paint, wherever.

Imagine quite expensive tho. But a nice box for paints/brushes etc is great even as an empty thing to fill later.

*Edit – It’s a Windsor & Newton Galeria gift set. Spy some new for sale – £30. Failing that I got a decent wooden table easel with sliding drawer for about £12 iirc. The Works, maybe…

aP
    Free Member

A lead holder is a useful and to my mind interesting tool.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

^+1 sounds like a great deal and idea.

I mentioned tabletop easel/storage combo. Googled and found:

Winsor and Newton ‘Medway’ Artists Table Top Box Easel – Wood

£19.75 free + postage?

Also Daler Rowney Edinburgh Table Easel – similar to above, likewise similar prices – seem to vary from £15 – £25 depending where you buy.

JoB
    Free Member

i have a Rotring propelling pencil i was given (does sums) over 30 years ago, i use it most every day, you can change the softness of lead to go from techy to arty

it’s as boring as a pen or pencil, but what comes out of it doesn’t have to be

roper
    Free Member

If she likes to draw or sketch you could get her a few old school pens and nibs from here
    http://www.dippennibs.co.uk/
    They have some rare and unusual nibs as well as good quality ink. She would also be able to use water colour paints or other inks if she wanted to add colour.

on a side note, I’m not so sure about a pencil sharpener. Most artists use a blade to shape the pencil to the required shape and thickness they need for the job.

binners

How about watercolour pencils. They’re something a bit different. Bought some for my daughter (sensitive arty type, like her dad) and she loves them. We sit and sketch together 😀

Edit: Esme beat me too it. Great minds….

rockhopper70

Thanks for all the suggestions so far, so,me stuff certainly to look at.
    She has quite a lot of materials already so I was ideally looking for a tool, device or a keepsake item.

binners

Hows about a Rotring Rapidograph. They are things of beauty. I’ve recently started doing some ink drawing again – I used to do a lot of it – and now I’ve just searched for those I’m suddenly overcome with the urge to buy myself a full set. Curses!!!!! 😳

toby1

Spend more and create competition in the ranks by making her stand out as a favourite?

Sorry, I have nothing useful to add.

😉

darrenspink
    Free Member

One of my sons favourite presents last year was an electric pencil sharpener.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Artist types, something really nice for a gift idea,budget £20. But not a pencil’ is closed to new replies.