Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Artisan bread (silly woman content)
  • cinnamon_girl

Didn’t realise it was £2.50 for a small loaf. 😳

Interesting although pleasant taste but still can’t work out what’s in the crust. Think it’s organic.

A one off purchase for sure.

(will take my reading glasses next time)

saladdodger
    Free Member

Your not alone CG

I have to borrow the wife’s specs many a time 😳

easy answer though get a breadmaker 😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Breadmaker? Nah, just make your own by hand!

Got a loaf in the oven right now!

saladdodger
    Free Member

in 3 hrs 26minutes mr panasonic say “ding” breads ready for me

but I will be making my own pasta tonight by hand

yossarian
    Free Member

Lots of artisan bread down ‘ere in Kent. It’s a bit more expensive (£2.50 is about right), but it’s better than all of the mass produced shite.

If you like decent proper bread avoid supermarkets and buy the more expensive stuff or learn to make your own. 100 years ago most households could make a decent loaf, not any more.

saladdodger
    Free Member

3hrs and 23 minutes

yep that will be a decent loaf 🙂

Mikeypies
    Free Member

£2.50 for a small loaf a veritable bargain I got stung by Hobbs house in Sodding Chipbury for about £4 for a small wheat free loaf once.
    It wasnt worth it either

maccruiskeen

I prefer artesian bread. I’ve drilled a bore hole in my back garden and free dough just oozes up from giant underground reservoirs. The Earth’s Crust some call it.

cinnamon_girl

Ah but can run of the mill (excuse pun) flour be used or does it needs to be organically certified? 😉

On a serious note, how much does it cost using a machine and does it become stale quickly?

😆 @ maccruiskeen

tang
    Free Member

Theres a bloke round the corner who sells a loaf for £21 and sells over 100 a week! Its 2kg handmade sourdough, Somerset spelt organic flour, Cornish sea salt blah blah. We bought a 1/4 loaf for a test, not that special. Still, this is Gloucestershire.

Sandwich

CG the more protein the better in the flour for gas retention. Major differences between stoneground and roller ground flour, not much between organic and non-organic certified flours ground the same way.
    Bread machine flour lasts about 3 days in summer here but I don’t use too much salt in my loaves, a couple of days longer in winter.

jamest
    Free Member

*bread geek alert* The term artisan usually refers to sourdoughs. This bread is made from wild yeast (as oppossed to commercial fresh or dry yeast). The sourdough process is much slower – my loaves are made with a 4 year old starter (this is young as some in Europe can be generations old) and take about 20 hours from start to finish, but only contain salt, water and flour. Due to the long ferment you get a distinctive sour taste and more resilient crust. You can also use a ladleful of starter when making ‘quicker’ breads to get a similar crust.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Artisan bread (silly woman content)’ is closed to new replies.