Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • arthroscopic sub-acromial decompression – am i going to die?
  • Ewan
    Free Member

Just back from the consultant about my shoulder following the results of my MRI. He’s booked me into for a arthroscopic sub-acromial decompression via key hole surgery this Thursday 😮

He reckoned I’d be ok for a climbing holiday in May / MTBing by then…

Anyone had one and wants to share success / horror stories?

I’m meant to be riding across the alps in July so a little nervous. Also a bit concerned that the guy I saw is a surgeon, so everything is a (surgical) nail.

climbingkev
    Free Member

Is that to release “frozen shoulder”? I had a SLAP repair 4 weeks ago and am pretty sore still, been weening myself of the fling the last week. I could get on the turbo after 2 weeks and have entered a Sportive mid April. I was however told I’ll never climb again….. After the op following bicep damage he discovered 😥 There’s more chance of my arse healing over than there is me not climbing again.

Good luck. Time, physio and common sense will see you right again.

Ewan
    Free Member

Well he’s a climber himself so hopefully he’d have warned me of that! It’s to fix a frayed tendon – apparently he’s going to shave some bone off to stop it agrevating it.

Ewan
    Free Member

Good luck with your recovery btw! I will dig the turbo out in anticipation of the coming weeks of boredom.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

Had the same done a couple of years ago. The recovery was a couple of weeks but no lifting and limited movement for about 6 weeks.
    I was on the turbo after a week or so to stave off the boredom, I was off work for 3 months before I was allowed to go back.

One thing to make sure is that you do the physio exercises as they really helped.

andrw13
    Free Member

Depends how much damage there is to the tendons. My long head biceps tendon was very damaged and had to be severed. Took me 6 months to get back on mtb and I now have a “popeye bicep”. Probably took 2 years to build up my shoulder strength. Still glad to have had it done as it’s much less painful if a bit weaker now.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘arthroscopic sub-acromial decompression – am i going to die?’ is closed to new replies.