Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Arthritis in thumb and forefinger->Gripshift?
  • Wally

Anybody got a recommendation for kit to lessen the pain in my thumb and forefinger joints. Very tempted to go for new outers/inners and gripshift 10 speed.

ton

i have a fused right wrist, and a very nearly solid left one too. i use old sram attack gripshift for this reason. i can somehow manage to shift gear using my finger and thumb. using normal paddle shifters causes too much pain.

neilm
    Free Member

The shifting on 10 speed grip shift is light and very easy, even compared to Attack, and a world away for the old Sach Wavey’s… which I still use.

I’ve got a thumb injury which makes gripshift a bit awkward for me, but with a Rohloff, I’ve got no choice.
    I find the newer small diameter Rohloff shifter a lot easier to use.
    I don’t know if derailleur shifters come in different sizes, but it may be worth trying bigger or smaller ones if possible to see which suits you.

rexated
    Free Member

I’ve a few-rides-used 10sp rear xo gripshift (boxed) you can have for £40posted if you want to give it a go. I found the shifting too light and went back to triggers. That said you need to keep on top of cable maintenance if you want to prevent the shifting stiffening up.

stephenroundhill AT Hotmail DOT coDOT uk if you’re interested in the shifter.

djflexure

Little bit of thumb trouble here too and a move to grip shift worked very well.

avdave2

MTG why don’t you move the Rohloff shifter to the left side. I’ve often thought of trying it myself to see if separating the main braking from shifting offered any advantages but nine years on still haven’t got round to trying it.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

I get a lot of knuckle pain especially in my thumb, gripshift works very well for me.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Arthritis in thumbs here, tried gripshift (3 & 9), still liking it after some months’ use.

Wally

rexated – Fabulous YGM and thanks everyone for their comments.

why don’t you move the Rohloff shifter to the left side

I’d thought about trying that, but shifting with my right hand just seems natural.
    It was having my thumb wrapped around the gripshift for long periods that was causing pain.
    I found the best solution was using a full length grip cut down to about 3/4 length instead of a proper 1/2 length gripshift grip. That way, I can get my whole hand on the static grip and just slide it across a bit when I need to use the twist grip.
    Having a smaller diameter twist grip is just an added bonus.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Arthritis in thumb and forefinger->Gripshift?’ is closed to new replies.