Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Arthritis – bit worried…
  • prezet
    Free Member

Does anyone here suffer from it? I’m 33 years old, and have always have hyperextension (double joints) in my fingers. I guess I always knew I’d suffer from arthritis in my later days due to this.

However, the past few weeks my knuckles are in a constant, low pain. And now my knees and wrists have started to get the same feeling. I spend a lot of the day at a keyboard, so I guess this plays it’s part too. However I’m getting really worried this could be the start of something a bit bigger.

I’ve booked an appointment with the GP, but beyond that I’m a bit unsure what to do.

cp

http://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/

Which is the medical research charity, they do lots of free info booklets for various types of Arthritis.

Arthritis Care is a patient support charity.

captaincarbon
    Free Member

Wait until you’re diagnosed. More likely to be repetative strain injury IMH(medical)O

stever
    Free Member

I have Ehlers-Danloss (but strangely I’m not that flexible). I go through phases of flare ups, managed by anti-inflamms. I don’t take many though and am more active than ever. The only thing that hurts right now is the first knuckle of one ring finger, which I put down to an old climbing injury. Just a nag though. I got a lot more pain and sleepless nights in the run up to getting a proper diagnosis, I’m convinced a heck of a lot of it is related to stress and uncertainty. It rarely stops me doing anything now. Hope that helps a bit.

iainc

hypermobile joints and 45 yrs old here. My knees are the worse area. regular exercise, healthyish diet and weight control help me. I take a heap of supplements and one thing that makes a real difference for me is a teaspoon of mollasses every morning, with a glass of honegar. within a few weeks of starting them my hand pain backed of significantly.

crazybrab
    Free Member

Apple cider vinegar 🙂

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

Gout here; not the same but not that different. Have you tried cherry pills (I get mine from Cherry Active) they are supposed to help & appear to in my case

CheesybeanZ

yup , spondylosis in 4,5,6,and 7 and 48 yrs old. i’ve had it for some time and it can go from constant niggle to chuffin painful . the consultant advised exercice and stretching to help with the pain managment , i do use anti inflammatories and pain killers when its bad or if i’m doing a big ride .

oddjob
    Free Member

I am in a similar boat. I got some sort of reactive arthritis after an infection when I was a student but it went away after a couple of weeks. Over the last 6 months I have noticed that my hands are aching most of the time. I guess it is just something to do with getting older.

I haven’t really considered going to my GP as it isn’t stopping me doing anything and I know there isn’t a cure anyway. When it becomes a real problem, then i’ll look for some help with it.

iainc

my list : Cherry Active (cheaper on Amazon that cherry active site), and from Healthspan : Chondromax, Cod Liver Oil, MSM, Rose Hip.

’tis maybe snake oil, but works for me 🙂

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

37 here and starting to get the signs of Arthritis in both my knees from years of skiing.

Mrs FD (ortho surgeon) has said to keep exercising as its the best thing for me, but if it gets bad just ease off a bit. She also offered to get both my knees scoped to see whats going on, then pain isnt that bad yet, even if some times I struggle to get up off the sofa!

At some point shes said I will need surgery and its basically up to me to decide how bad I want the pain to be before they do some thing about it. There are pro’s and con’s. Surgery now would mean months of not being able to do much, but then hopefully good knees for a few years, however this could then mean in later life and knees would be truly shot. Or waite until the pain becomes really too much.

zippykona

I have a pint of warm water with a table spoon of honey and a table spoon of cider vinegar. It does seem to make a difference.

prezet
    Free Member

Thanks guys.

I’ve been reading up over lunch on RSI. I could be over-reacting and this could be the problem. Like I said, I spend most of my day at a keyboard.

However, that doesn’t explain the pain in my knees – which could be put down to riding fixed gear every day.

I’ve just started taking cod liver oil supplements, so maybe I need to look into some of the other ones mentioned too, and generally eating more oily fish as part of my diet.

cr500dom
    Free Member

You have an appointment, which is good, do not leave it, get it checked and if it starts to escalate make sure you get back there sharpish….

I went from nagging pain in my hip to pretty much unable to move in about 3-4 weeks
    Suspected RA but sero-neg arthritis was the diagnosis (Joint pain with no reumatoid serum)although I am still conviced it was reactionary to organo phosphate poisoning….
    Changed my diet at the time to mainly organic which helped with less chemicals, touch wood i`ve been clear ever since although it can start up again if I have exposure to some chemicals ?

My Best mate back in october had similar symptoms, aching joints, hips, back etc
    start to ending up in hospital…..3 weeks

He`s just coming off his last Chemo Treatment for Birkits lymphoma 🙁
    If they hadnt have caught it that early, he would not have seen christmas.

I hope Its RSI, but please dont ignore it if its not improving

alpin
    Free Member

smoke weed.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Mrs M was starting to get arthritis in her hands and hips – obviously congenital as both her mother and aunt suffer. She was starting to get quite pronounced swollen knuckles and finger joints

A few things have really helped pretty much eradicate over the last few years:
    1) Cod liver oil capsule every day
    2) Glucosamine and Chondroitin tablets every day
    3) Keeping properly hydrated – at least 2 litres of water a day

None of these are very expensive so worth a try. Will be 3-6 months before you start to notice anything so keep at it

4ndyB
    Free Member

I was diagnosed with Ankylosing Spondylitis 18 years ago

I take painkillers and anti inflammatory tablets daily

I do get aches and pains

I do get good and bad days

I will not let it stop me doing the things I enjoy & love

Wait and see what the Dr says, there are plenty of ways to help those who suffer with arthritis

Different things work for different people and symptoms

Until you know exactly what the problem is you won’t really know which will work for you

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Arthritis – bit worried…’ is closed to new replies.