Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Art , drawing software advice please
  • Denis99
    Free Member

I have started to get back into photography lately and have a copy of Lightroom, using a tablet to perform the editing.

Struggled a little with the tablet and pen at first, but can see how it is more refined than the mouse for this work.

My wife is a keen artist and would like to use the tablet for drawing and sketching.

I know Photoshop would satisfy this in terms of the software, but it’s a bit of overkill for the level that she wants, and I find Lightroom is all I really need.

Looking for any recommendations from any users out there.

Thanks

leffeboy

Looked for something similar for my daughter and I think we ended with artrage. Give the trial versions a shot first though as although they try to make it work like normal drawing there are techniques that are very different and it may not be as much fun. Plenty of tutorials on YouTube to see how this stuff works and they are worth looking at

Klunk
    Free Member

Painter Essentials or full blown painter if you are feeling flush.

mikey74
    Free Member

Why is Photoshop overkill? I’d say it’s perfect for that.

Having said that, you could try PS Elements and see if it meets her needs.

Drac

Adobe Sketch will probably be a good introduction.

Klunk
    Free Member

Why is Photoshop overkill?

£20.22 per month ?

TheFlyingOx

Gimp is open source and probably about as full-featured as free software gets. A bit finickety to get started, as per Photoshop, but it’ll certainly exceed your wife’s requirements.

Denis99
    Free Member

Thanks, I’ll have a look at those. Photoshop is a little expensive really, Lightroom does everything I want in terms of photography editing.

Have to say though it does look like it will do everything and more for both of us.

Of to have a look at the suggestions, thanks.

mikey74
    Free Member

£20 a month isn’t a lot, if it does what you want it to do and can afford it. Obviously, if there is something cheaper that will equally do the job, then great; but that was the point of my initial question.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Art Rage is great.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Procreate for iPad (with Pencil) is just about everything I could ask for; an outstanding piece of software. Infinite Design and Sketchbook Express seem to get good reviews for Android.

Denis99
    Free Member

Thanks everyone.

Painter Essentials looks to be a bargain at the moment, will enable even me to get to grips with drawing something vaguely arty.

Klunk
    Free Member

IIRC ryan church uses painter

there are some cool tutorials of his knocking around

there also an older set of tutorials called The Techniques of Ryan Church (vol 1-5) no longer available on the gnomon site but can be found on p2p

MrSmith
    Free Member

£20.22 per month ?

Eh? Photoshop/lightroom bundle is £10 per month?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Art , drawing software advice please’ is closed to new replies.