Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Arsenic rice – I'm turning mutant!
  • chewkw
    Free Member

Folks, are you turning mutant? I mean eating arsenic rice especially those from Bangladesh and EU …

Dammit Channel 4 just showed the report on arsenic rice which scared the shite out of me as I think I might be turning into a mutant as I have been eating rice all my life. i.e. staple diet for many people in the far east. For a period of time I was eating Italian organic rice … I have been conned bloody Italian !!!

What am I suppose to eat now eh? Long pig?

However, having said that I do eat Hom Mali rice from Thailand which apparently contains least mutant gene compare to may other rice variety.

The report does not mention Thai rice at all but give the impression that all rice are toxic!

So are we all suppose to become potato heads?

Dammit! Talking about creating new goal post in one sweeping statement.

An old report here

😯

jambalaya
    Free Member

I saw the programme. Arsenic is present in a lot of foods. Only real issue is children’s foods. Basemati rice was said to have the least. I got the impression it was only rice from Bangladesh which was a problem hence no mention of Thai rice nor I imagine US rice like Uncle Bens

kudos100
    Free Member

Lets not get carried away, the amount is tiny. Besides in asia they have eaten rice for thousands of years and I don’t think they have done too badly.

takisawa2

Been a real feast of entertainment on the box tonight, what with that program on Greyhound racing.

chewkw
    Free Member

Just finished cooking my dinner … pork chop for the night and yes, Thai Hom mali rice.

I shall keep a close eye on all rice products now.

The whole world is getting difficult to live in … 😯

tonyplym
    Free Member

Bangladesh has a long history of pollution problems related to arsenic in the groundwater; certain parts of Cambodia and Laos also suffer. Not so much of an issue if the water used for irrigation is from surface run-off (rain), but more intensive agriculture is leading to more water extracted from boreholes being used for irrigation, hence a rise in arsenic-related issues.

chewkw
    Free Member

tonyplym – Member

… but more intensive agriculture is leading to more water extracted from boreholes being used for irrigation, hence a rise in arsenic-related issues.

Yes, a lot of the places do use water extracted from boreholes so got to keep a close eye on stuff but it seems we are doomed as we can’t seem to escape them all … 😮

edit: it looks like Thailand is irrigates via surface water rather than boreholes.

gwaelod
    Free Member

I dimly remember the BGS’s name being mentioned re arsenic borehole contamination in Bangladesh…I think lawyers were involved.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Arsenic rice – I'm turning mutant!’ is closed to new replies.