Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Arse. That Ended The Ride.
  • singlespeedstu

Out for a night ride tonight with a couple of mates i’ve not ridden with for a while.

Second climb and this happens.

It’s only it’s fourth outing. 😐

[url=https://flic.kr/p/rgb5G2]That Ended The Ride. :o([/url] by multispeedstu, on Flickr

Over the bars and into the bushes.

After a bit of a walk/scoot I got home and fitted a new cog.
    Jump back on bike to ride down to the pub for a few beers with said mates.

No of course I didn’t take a pump or tube with me. 🙄
    Half way there and massive hawthorn puncture.
    Bollock no ride or pub for me tonight.

z1ppy

There a **** load of thorns about, had to pull 5 out of mine before fitting a tube tonight, it’s drying up nicely (ATM) though.

singlespeedstu

it’s drying up nicely (ATM) though.

I was thinking that as I was lying no the floor. 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

[url=https://flic.kr/p/85tBdD]27052010240[/url] by Mike Smith 79, on Flickr
    This happened just as I landed after jumping a small rock on the way back from Ullswater lake shore…

johnj2000
    Free Member

Well that makes my thorn in tyre and rear mech failure, pale I to insignificance mikesmith 😯

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’m just very glad it wasn’t on the techy bits or anything steep. The person behind me at the time was a little shocked – and I think it meant I was last back to the pub

johnj2000
    Free Member

I think it’s fixable 😀

TiRed

What freewheel was that? I ride a Hope freehub with two Surly cogs. I’m not expecting failure.

singlespeedstu

It’s a Home Brewed Components cog.
    I’ll not be using them again…

[url=https://flic.kr/p/rzHvYQ]Home Brewed Components Cog.[/url] by multispeedstu, on Flickr

kayak23

Blimey! Smashed your mech clean off!

Andy-R

singlespeedstu – Member
    It’s a Home Brewed Components cog.
    I’ll not be using them again…

You won’t get the chance, as they’ve gone out of business. Is that a Ti sprocket on an alloy carrier? What were the rivets – aluminium or stainless?

I’ve got two HBC chainrings and they’ve been good BTW.

spacemonkey

Good effort Mr Smith. I broke two of those S-Works flavoured frames in quick succession about 6-7 years ago. That back end was definitely a weak point IME.

njee20
    Free Member

What’s actually happened? The cog has separated from it’s carrier?

Have you taken the wheel out as well? Too much going on in that photo for my simple brain 😕

mikewsmith
    Free Member

yeah, it was 6 months out of warranty and there were no other stays left in the world (for some reason)

Houns

My arse has ended a few rides too

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

This happened just as I landed after jumping a small rock on the way back from Ullswater lake shore…

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you metal fatigue! 😀 Well done with that break! Real mountain bikers snap chainstays! 😉 What are you doing about a replacement Mike?

cokie

Ah, that’s rubbish! Did it sheer through all 5 rivets or did you finish the job for the photo? I was looking at getting one of the Home Brew cogs to make tart up my stooge. I’ll look elsewhere.

Will you try and put in a warranty claim?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

that was years ago ’11 I think. Been through 2 hecklers since then. Now on a Blur LTc and a Rock Element.

scruff9252

Could you replace the rivets? Bits of chewing gum would be stronger by the looks of things…

bigyinn
    Free Member

S’funny, my 2004 Enduro Pro is still going strong as my main bike. Im pretty sure they beefed up the chainstays for the 2003 MY (that didnt stop me getting a crack at the top of seat tube weld though), hence why i’ve got a 2004 one (with beefed up seat tube).

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Thats an 04, seen a few snap, guess you have just been going soft on it 😉

bigyinn
    Free Member

Not at my riding weight of nearly 17st im not.
    Did a FOD uplift day on it last December.
    Maybe the XLs are built differently?

Xylene
    Free Member

I miss my enduro

spacemonkey

yeah, it was 6 months out of warranty and there were no other stays left in the world (for some reason)

Did you speak to Spesh direct? At a minimum they would probably have offered you a replacement frame for something like 50% off.

I think it’s 2 Enduro S-Works and a carbon Stumpy I’ve broken and got replaced under CRW.

S’funny, my 2004 Enduro Pro is still going strong as my main bike. Im pretty sure they beefed up the chainstays for the 2003 MY (that didnt stop me getting a crack at the top of seat tube weld though), hence why i’ve got a 2004 one (with beefed up seat tube).

My Enduro breaks were on an 03 and 04. One of them was definitely maintenance related.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Did you speak to Spesh direct? At a minimum they would probably have offered you a replacement frame for something like 50% off.

LBS was on the phone while I was there, no offer, no nothing, if they had the stays they would have been free but there was nothing so no offer.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Oh and most of the new design 05/06 ones snapped there too

bertmacklin
    Free Member

I had this happen a few weeks ago at about the furthest point out. Luckily I could still freewheel and kick it along like a velocipede, otherwise it would’ve been an absolute nightmare to get back.

oliverracing

At least it has a lifetime warranty 😀

mikewsmith
    Free Member

that your element copy?

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Oliver, the front frame seems sturdy enough. Design a steel rear swingarm for it this time and I think you will be laughing, sand the frame a little if you can and then give it a proper paint job as well 😛

EDIT: Oh wait, the BB shell ripped off 😆 😯

tomcanbefound
    Free Member

oliverracing – Member

At least it has a lifetime warranty

😆

core

Was out last night for only my second ride of the year, thought we’d take it steady and do about a 10 mile loop of mostly back lanes with a couple of sections of bridleway/green lane chucked in.

Turned in to bridleway, 100 yards, puncture on front, stop, patch on tube, 50 yards further along, pick up another puncture, walk/jog to end of path, stop to repair again, mate realises his front tyre is going down, turns out he had 2 thorns in the tyre.

Get them all patched up, set off again up the road, chain is skipping a bit, put it down to a sticky link/tension being a bit off. Then, BANG, chain snaps.

Not a good night, 6 miles, 4 punctures, 1 snapped chain.

oliverracing

that your element copy?

Yep (although it ended up being half way between an element and spark geo wise), that breakage was last September, fixed it pretty easily (it was the main pivot not the BB) and been riding in since no problems. Funnily enough the rear swingarm is the only bit I haven’t had any problems with (yet) but the main pivot has been the problem area.

pictonroad

Tuesday night. A group of riders goes past, one flicks up a stone, it jams between my frame and cassette lockring (single speed). Next pedal stroke undoes the lockring which then jams the frewwheel solid, the next pedal stroke then slipped the EBB. (better than snapping something I think.)

Totally freak incident you think, except…

At SSUK 2014 as we LEFT THE CAMPSITE a stone flicked up, jammed between my front ring and bashguard and as it went round bent the flippin chainring. 😯

Both ended up with having a sort of pedallable on the flat push up hills, semi hobby horse affair…

everyone
    Free Member

Oli, I bet you suffer a mechanical issue this weekend!

singlespeedstu

Is that a Ti sprocket on an alloy carrier?

Steel cog alloy carrier.
    Been sat un used in my toolbox for a while. Only just fitted it.

What’s actually happened? The cog has separated from it’s carrier?

Did it sheer through all 5 rivets or did you finish the job for the photo?

The fist climb we did I heard a loud cracking noise. Thought it was a stone in the chain or something.
    Half way up the second climb when I was really straining on it it sheared all 5 pins and spat me OTB.

Have you taken the wheel out as well? Too much going on in that photo for my simple brain

Is the lack of mech hanger confusing you? 🙂
    Can you see it now?

[url=https://flic.kr/p/e5jjHM]2013_0323quarterhorse0030[/url] by multispeedstu, on Flickr
    Oh and you frame brakerist piss off and start your own thread. 😉
    I’ve got a few pics I could add to that…

chrisgibson
    Free Member

Broke my brakes the day before heading to Afan, borrowed my friends hard tail for the week. Half way around Blade managed to brake the bottom crank clean off. Ended up scooting it back to Skyline Cycles who had no parts and had to hire a bike.

Series of ‘arse’ moments.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Arse. That Ended The Ride.’ is closed to new replies.