Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Arrrgh really bad hayfever!!
  • Tiger6791

I hate this first week

Absolutely hate it

It’s crap 🙁

Esme
    Free Member

What meds are you using? Flixonase nasal spray works for me (recommended by a consultant), but it needs to be started a couple of months BEFORE the first symptoms. It reduces your sensitivity to pollen, so it’s not much use once the allergic reaction kicks in.

Tiger6791

So far today

Beconase Nose Spray 7/8 times
    Loratadine x 2
    Ventolin
    cetirizine x 2

Pablo Escobar had fewer drugs !

(I’ve also informed Strava!!!!! Via a TUE)

Oggles
    Free Member

Fexofenadine for me.

Go to the docs for a prescription medication as everything you’ve taken except the ventolin is available in a supermarket.

I was also prescribed Beconase but it’s cheaper without prescription.

handyman153
    Free Member

I get incredibly bad Hayfever, it got so bad a few years back I had to have steroid injections over the summer!

However, i was prescribed Telfast tablets. Telfast was the brand, with the actual drug part being called Fexofenadine.
    I have been taking 2 per week since mid February, and will continue this until May ish, when i’ll up the dose to one per day.
    And i get the occasional sneeze and itchy eyes.. Thats It!

Now the slightly ‘naughty’ part.. Fexofenadine is prescription only in the UK normally at 120mg Tablets.
    But I bulk buy 180MG tables from Poland, when we travel over there once every 2/3 months. With the help of a very nice pharmacist, 30 tables costs me around £4.

J

martinhutch

Tiger – Beconase is not usually to be taken that many times a day. I would be unsurprised to find that that dosage is actually irritating your nasal cavity, producing the same kind of symptoms you’re trying to get rid of. It’s also possible that it could be causing or exacerbating your wheezing.

When did you start taking it? It generally builds up over a week or two to maximum efficacy.

Might be worth seeing your GP if your symptoms really are that hard to control.

Esme
    Free Member

It’s also worth having a shower when you get home, to wash away the pollen on your skin and hair.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

As esme said, and note that pollen sticks to clothes as well. If you dry clothes and bedding outdoors, a last-ten-minutes go in a tumble drier may help. It’s the cooling down stage, shouldn’t be hot, should evict pollen and spiders.

The beconase spray needs time to work, next year start it a week or two early in anticipation, as mh said..

chewkw
    Free Member

Do not use nasal spray containing steroid more than necessary coz it will screw up your nasal lining … it will make it worst once you are off them and if you use it every year your nasal lining is probably already screwed. Mine is screwed so a slight pollen will completely block my nose and I can only breath through my mouth.

I have been taking Loratadine for the last 10 days because my allergy started more than 10 days ago with severe cough (tickly dry cough). No one was cough like crazy apart from me so not cold or virus … took Loratadine and within two days I was fine and I am still taking them now.

swedishmatt
    Free Member

Revolutionary for me is a NOSE RINSE thingy(saline solution). Crisp and clear airways after.

Water vessel. Salt sachet. Insert into nostril. Tilt head to side and rinse. Does not hurt nose and is not weird. Rinses away all the pollen from your nose and works a treat.

One of those things you just have to try.

poolman
    Free Member

I used to get really bad hayfever, nothing worked on the med side. Believe me i tried everything. Then i started swimming and a steam room, clear ever since.

Also helps if you know what pollen it is causing it, for me it was a tree pollen cerca april, so you can avoid it.

Never had a problem since, but it was worst in london cycle commuting. I think the pollen lies low weighted down by car fumes.

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

As above posters have said – 180mg Fexofenadine. I have utterly horrific hayfever and nothing else even touches it. Doctors can prescribe it, but officially only for urticaria. I like my doc.. 😉

flowergirl
    Free Member

Another vote for Fexofenadine 180. Used to be a florist (hence Flowergirl), hay fever was dreadful all year round! Only thing that touched it (until I found another career) was that.

vickypea
    Free Member

I’ve had a tight chest for a few days and wondered what it was. (I also get Autumn hay fever which gives me a tight chest rather than sneezing and runny nose). I thought it was too early for hay fever but my car was covered with a layer of what looked like pollen this morning.

chewkw
    Free Member

Mine started two weeks ago with non-stop coughing …

slowoldgit
    Free Member

@vp – I remember a GP saying years ago that he was seeing a lot of what he thought was atypical hay fever, eg teachers with constant sore throats. Anti-histamines worked.

For me pollen allergy starts with Hazel, in the first warm dry weather after Jan 20th, for about a week. Other trees join in later, Aspen, Silver Birch. Then Yew and Oak (I think) follow in April, Scots Pine in May. And then there’s grass, and farm cereals.

righog
    Free Member

Try benadryl acrivastine instead of cetirazine and Loratadine. That was a lucky find for me as cetirazine and Loratadine put to sleep almost instantly.

I am now now on Ebastine, which is not available in the uk yet ( i think ) as I am prescribed it at work ( abroad )….It has changed my life, as my “Asthma” turned out to be an allergic reaction to almost everything.

also the steroidal sprays have been a revelation for me, I avoided them for years !

rossburton
    Free Member

A friend gets horrific hay fever and only finds relief with a number of drugs already listed, and a nose filter (WoodyKnows on amazon etc).

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Arrrgh really bad hayfever!!’ is closed to new replies.