Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Arrived Whistler…should I be as scared as I am??
  • pipiom
    Free Member

Just got here after about 110 hours on the cross country Toronto-Jasper-Rocky mountaineer train trip (the best by the way)…..anyway, they all look like ratboy, and ride to the pub on DH rigs with baseball caps on…#outamydepthhere???

BigDummy
    Free Member

I always have butterflies at the top of my first lift when I’m in proper mountains.

Other people looking fast doesn’t scare me anywhere near as much as the mountain does.

Have fun! 😀

trail_rat
    Free Member

Nah dinae be

Im in mammoth atm

They all ride dh and enduro rigs to the pub around here. Was up the mountain today. Turns out trails for all.

Rode a blue to start with realised nothing ti worry about,

In the end rode 60k and all the trails except the full on downhill trails – mainly because i expected the hire bike to decintigrate upon landing on some of the mandatory no chicken shit route drops and jumps.

Kamakazi wasnt as much fun as it looked in 99….. But great day none the less.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Nah dinae be

Im in mammoth atm

They all ride dh and enduro rigs to the pub around here. Was up the mountain today. Turns out trails for all.

Rode a blue to start with realised nothing ti worry about,

In the end rode 60k and all the trails except the full on downhill trails – mainly because i expected the hire bike to decintigrate upon landing on some of the mandatory no chicken shit route drops and jumps.

Kamakazi wasnt as much fun as it looked in 99….. But great day none the less.

shifter
    Free Member

You crossed Canada on a train?! #impressed

walleater

I wouldn’t worry about the riders. It’s the bears that will rip your throat out.

slackalice
    Free Member

Them and the Mooses

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Them and the Mooses

Don’t you mean the cougars? (not the mountain kind).

Don’t worry about it – there are lots of fast people there.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Don’t you mean the cougars? (not the mountain kind).

😆 They tend to congregate in Bills at the weekends :p

whatnobeer
    Free Member

But you’ll be fine, honestly. I’m just back a few hours ago from a social monday ride. We did trail riding in the valley, Legalize It into Bush Doctor in to Danimal North. Black, double black, black. Some steep and committing lines, but the group was great, everything from a 16 year old local kid, to guys in their 50s and 60s.

jimjam
    Free Member

Yes. Be afraid. My friend used to manage a couple of drug stores in Whistler and he said the number of English/Irish/Scottish/Welsh guys who were calling in with broken arms or legs, or ribs etc was ridiculous and there seemed to be a disproportionate number of these guys wrecking themselves in their first day or two.

So treat it with a lot of respect till you find your feet. It cost me $500 for an X-ray and some pain killers over there. Be careful.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

whatnobeer – is that the WORCA stuff? We leave this weekend for an extended trip and plan to do some of these, are they a good crack?

russyh
    Free Member

The fact you are down enough ‘wit da kidz’ to use a #hashtag means you will be fine.

hatter

Nah it’ll be fine just do some sessions on Crank it Up and B-line to get your head sorted and dial your bike in then start looking at the bigger stuff if you feel up to it.

They get loads of beginners (‘Joeys’ as they’re termed) there so most people are pretty chilled about it.

Plus the properly fast local boys tend wouldn’t be seen dead on anything but a black run so you shouldn’t have to worry about constantly having to scramble out of the way.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Are their caps straight peaked and do they have an energy drink branding? Also out of the side of said cap is their a boufon of curly blond hair? Do they drink millar and other such shit beers? If so you should definatly be very worried.

rocketman
    Free Member

they all look like ratboy, and ride to the pub on DH rigs with baseball caps on

Arrived Whistler Cannock

AlexSimon

I went there for a day and did B-line to start and it was a nice gentle entry. After a couple more runs down some of the blue technical trails and heart of darkness, I went for A-line. I was really nervous at the top.
    To be honest with good reason, the jumps are absolutely huge (no gaps though). Some of them just leave you hanging in the air waiting for the ground to arrive. Easy to see how it can go wrong.

As good as A-line was, I preferred the full Crank-it-up/Heart of darkness run.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Just have fun, the trails are very WOW!! but they’re massively wide and super smooth so it’s easy to live out your Remy fantasies, yes there are some incredibly techy stuff in the park, in terms of difficultly B-Line are Crank it Up are easier than a lot of trail centre stuff in the UK, but the speed are higher. Try Blue Velvet, it’s an bloody brilliant trail, goes on for miles and miles and it’s an easy intro into the upper Mountain for people who may not fancy 10m doubles or jumping shipping containers.

Bears are docile as ****, yes they can kill you, but so can most large dogs. Don’t flick them in the balls or go near their cubs and you’ll be fine.

Don’t be a dickhead and try to impress the balcony at GLC with your HUGE drops on the GLC drops, you will never find a harder crowd to please, 99% aren’t looking, the 1% that are, are hoping to see a famous pro – they WILL however all look if you smash yourself to bits.

Get out of the park and ride the trails, it’s currently one of my biggest regrets that when I went I took my Shocker and didn’t leave the park.

Oh and try to Mongol Grill, it’s amazing

scandal42
    Free Member

Get into em man, loudly announce you arrival on the scene at the top of your 1st run, make damn sure you make eyeball contact with anyone who happens to be up there. Take a look at the brakes on the biggest bike there and in a faux laugh style say ‘brakes, pfffft’ and roll your eyes.

Then let them go first.

Guaranteed to make friends

Andy-R

I’m having pangs of envy Phil, especially as I’ll be back home in the grim north in a couple of days. Enjoy yourself, man – see you soon.

thomasgeorge
    Free Member

Man up Phil, it’s just like ballure, but 20 times longer, and steeper !!!

pipiom
    Free Member

Cheers guys….I’ve booked 3 guided days with Bearback,2 outside the park and day 3 in the park.

Not so sure the Ballure comparison makes me that happy Paul….crashed twice in the last Enduro

pipiom
    Free Member

Cheers guys….I’ve booked 3 guided days with Bearback,2 outside the park and day 3 in the park.

Not so sure the Ballure comparison makes me that happy Paul….crashed twice in the last Enduro

We’ll have to have a beer’n nose bag when we’re both back Andy?

sharkattack

If you’re that uncomfortable I’ll trade places with you.

There’s trails on the mountain for all ability levels and it’s easy to avoid the crowds. I’d literally kill to be there right now. Just tell me who to kill.

pipiom
    Free Member

We’ll have to have a beer’n nose bag when we’re both back Andy?

wysiwyg
    Free Member

I arrive tomorrow. Only managed to squeeze in a 6 week stay…

whatnobeer
    Free Member

whatnobeer – is that the WORCA stuff? We leave this weekend for an extended trip and plan to do some of these, are they a good crack?

Yup. They’re really good craic. The Thursday night Toonies are ridiculous value. $2 (plus your $50 membership) for an mass start fun XC race, a beer (or sometimes two) and a bite to eat. There’s the Phat Wednesday DH races for $5 (plus a beer) and the Monday night social rides which are guided and at different speed and ability levels, again $2 with a beer at the end. Great way to meet folk to ride with and find new trails to ride.

Don’t be a dickhead and try to impress the balcony at GLC with your HUGE drops on the GLC drops, you will never find a harder crowd to please, 99% aren’t looking, the 1% that are, are hoping to see a famous pro – they WILL however all look if you smash yourself to bits.

The infamous GLC drops have been made an awful lot more forgiving and can almost be rolled off now. The fast guys can still go really big, but the drop itself won’t kill you if you get the speed or the timing wrong.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Arrived Whistler…should I be as scared as I am??’ is closed to new replies.