• This topic has 15 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by hels.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Arrive at Glentress for 09:30am on Monday – when to leave?
  • DickBarton

Driving from Stirling on Monday…I need to be at the Buzzard's Nest car park just before 09:30…what time should I be leaving Stirling to make sure I get there at that time?

Apart from weekends, I've only once driven past Edinburgh very early am and I can't recall what time that was as it was about 8 years back.

Cheers.

the_lecht_rocks

90 minutes

cynic-al
    Free Member

I'd leave after the ride and some coffee. 😛

DickBarton

Good grief, that subject title isn't exactly related to my question is it? Need to get some more sleep I think!

90 minutes…does that include the traffic build up to get into Edinburgh on the motorway and then round the sh!tty bypass? I'll head off at half 7 just to be 'safe'…if I get there earlier I'll have time to get the legs moving.

Cheers.

hels
    Free Member

The A720 is evil from 7.15 to about 9.15 and there is no avoiding it.

You will also get stuck in the M9 spur traffic coming from the FR bridge.

It's the Festival and the schools are in.

I would leave sunday night ! Or at least take a book.

hels
    Free Member

Oh yeah and there is a contraflow just as you get on to the A701 after the gas station at Fairmile, but if you go on the Biggar road you can go left through the science park at Bush and miss that out, it's often quicker anyway.

Fat-boy-fat

I live in Stirling too. Don't even think about trying to get round the bypass during rush hour. Either re-arrange so that you hit Edinburgh at about 9:30 (would mean getting down to GT at about 10:00 and leaving home at about 8:45) or go earlier and get a dawnish ride in before your mates turn up 🙂

Smee
    Free Member

Leave at 7:30 and you'll be fine. The roadworks that Hels is talking about will be fine too. At most I take 5 minutes to get through them.

aviemoron
    Free Member

GT on a Bank Holiday, are you mad! Get away to the hills.

DickBarton

Would love to Moron (incidentally, I'm up your way next weekend I think for the SXC race – but I'll be spectating!), but it's a christmas present from my daughter – she clearly knows I can't ride for toffee so got me a training voucher with Dirtschool – it's on Monday and I need to be there for 09:30…looking forward to it, but not really the drive…I'll leave the house at 07:00 to make sure I'm there in plenty of time!

Steve_B

Convoluted way to avoid Edinburgh bypass – only about 3-4 miles longer

Leave at J4 M9 head to J4 M8 then head towards Forth and follow the A72 route to Peebles

Will take about 20mins longer according to google(about 90mins if you ignore traffic) – and a high possibility of getting lost 😕 so you have to balance that against traffic tailbacks

I did it once the other way to avoid evening delays around Edinburgh – and on reflection I'd probably rather sit in the traffic

radoggair
    Free Member

As Steve B says, head on M73 towards Glasgow, get onto M8 East heading towards Edinburgh, get off at Junction 6 Newhouse and follow A72 towards Peebles. Traffic disruption will be minimal that way. I'd give yourself 2 hours for the journey to be on the safe side. (once on the A72 you cant really get lost as Peebles is signposted all the way – remember to go left at first set of MAIN traffic lights in Carluke after the BP garage and you'll be traffic free fine :-))

aviemoron
    Free Member

Ahhhh, Mr Barton, I understand. I forgot sxc was next w/e might pop along, but then I only start to think about racing again – maybe one more season………

DickBarton

Well I'm getting very serious about my race spectating…need to let Jessica see what the fuss is all about…

Might go for a drive tomorrow to make sure I don't get completely lost…thanks for the tips folks.

marty
    Free Member

quickest non-bypass option would be M9 J4/Avon Gorge/Whitburn/Carnwath/Peebles.

unless there's an accident somewhere, then bypass will still be quicker than the alternatives. listen to radio scotland / check trafficscotland before you leave.

hels
    Free Member

It's not a bank holiday in Scotland, well not in Edinburgh anyway, we have local holidays for local people. So double whammy really, hell car traffic through Edinburgh and hell mincer traffic at GT !

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Arrive at Glentress for 09:30am on Monday – when to leave?’ is closed to new replies.