Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Arrgh – pre-holiday panic..! Number plate issue..!
  • ourmaninthenorth

Driving through France for the rest of this week, with my road bike perched on the back of Mrs North's MX5.

Just realised that the number plate isn't exactly visible – never had a problem over here. Will French plod crucify me for this?

If so, will anywhere make up a number plate on the spot that I can get done today/tomorrow morning?

Sheeeeeet. I hate holiday panics.

geoffj

Take your V5 and driving license into Halfords and they should do you one on the spot.
    If you can't get hold of your V5, a motor dealer will be able to get a plate made up for you.

cp

being a foreign (and in particular british) car in france will prob get you pulled over.

halfords and the like will make up plates, but i think you need to take the v5 document with you these days

STATO
    Free Member

Just realised that the number plate isn't exactly visible

What about your rear lights?

ourmaninthenorth

On the spot you say? I have the V5 next to me (copying it at work). Mrs North has the car (at work).

I'll see if she can leave early to go and get it done.

Flippin' 'eck. I knew there was something.

ourmaninthenorth

What about your rear lights?

Visible. Bike is quite high up.

steveh

You need photo ID to get one too IIRC. Although if you tell many a small place that's it a show plate and not for road use they may let you off (or even suggest this).

ourmaninthenorth

Mrs North is (soon to be) on the case. Halford in Manchester have been put on notice. By both of us. Seprately. "There's been a sudden rush for this, you know."

Of course, they'll now find something else to nick me and incarcerate me for….

mtbfix

Out of mild curiosity, what rack are you using?

geoffj

Just come back from 2 weeks in Brittany. I can't remember seeing a plod, let alone being pulled by one.

I assume you've got beam benders, gb sticker, spare bulbs, warning triangle, first aid kit and hi-viz vests?

Bit of a faff, but not as much as when you had to paint your headlights yellow!!

higgo
    Free Member

Of course, they'll now find something else to nick me and incarcerate me for….

Got your hi-vis jacket? Is it in the body of the car, not the boot, so you cabn put it on before you exit the vehicle?

Spare bulbs?
    Warning triangle?

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

a hi vis coat for each passenger (as far as im aware)

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

spare fuses aswell!!

trailmonkey

You have to carry emergency baguettes now too, in case you are stuck on the motorway, too far away from a service station.

ourmaninthenorth

Yes, we have:

Triangle
    Vests (x2 – one's my stinky winter commuter job)
    Spare bulbs
    Headlight deflectors
    First aid kit
    Cheese and pickle sandwiches, a thermos of lukewarm sugary tea and a book of our favourite hymns in case we're stuck in one of those awful foreign traffic jams Ronald.

Out of mild curiosity, what rack are you using?

Saris Bones 3. Does the job remarkably well. Fingers crossed we get the bike to Provence in one piece..!

😀

dave360

being a foreign (and in particular british) car in france will prob get you pulled over.

why's that cp?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Arrgh – pre-holiday panic..! Number plate issue..!’ is closed to new replies.