Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • ARRGGHH! FFS Just say ‘PARDON?’ (rudeness content)
  • PeterPoddy
    Free Member

So I’ve gone back to my old job working on a weighbridge (whick is OK. It pays the bills) and I get to meet a LOT of customers, which is generally a good thing
    They drive onto the ‘bridge in various vehicles, up to my window. Somtimes it’s noisy (engines running, windy) and they can’t hear me, or I them. Which is fine.

BUT when they can’t hear me loads of people can’t be bothered to speak, they just ‘cock their head’ at me (Like a reverse nod, it’s the best way I can describe it) or point their ear at me, or sometimes put their finger behind their ear, or pull a face….

AAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why can’t you say ‘pardon?’, ‘excuse me?’, ‘what?’, ‘come again?’, ‘sorry?’, ‘eh?’ or at least SOMETHING, ANYTHING, you imbicies.

It’s just so flipping RUDE. And it’s DRIVING ME UP THE WALL!!!!

I’ve started to ignore it unless they speak, but is that making ME just as bad? I think it might be. But it’s comical in a bad way: They just keep twitching their heads, like some sort of OCD

And some also expect me to shout over the noise of their 10 litre diesel engine as well, so I go home with a sore throat. Arse to the lot of em.

😕

andywhit
    Free Member

If they can’t hear you then I guess they reason that you won’t be able to hear them if they speak so use the guestures.

BlingBling
    Free Member

it’s noisy (engines running, windy) and they can’t hear me, or I them.

Why can’t you say ‘pardon?’, ‘excuse me?’, ‘what?’, ‘come again?’, ‘sorry?’, ‘eh?’ or at least SOMETHING, ANYTHING, you imbicies.

😕

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    PeterPoddy
    Free Member

And there’s another thing I’ve noticed too: Some people ‘twitch’ when, if they think for a second, they HAVE actually heard me!
    If I ignore the twitch, about 1 second later I get the correct response to what I said, which menas they are just automatically expecting me to repeat everything, like some sort of bizzare addiction! I’m sure it’s a form of mild, mass tourettes….

Bizzare.

scaredypants

PP – why don’t you just get a sign made:

“fries with that ?”

😉

samuri
    Free Member

I’m sure it’s a form of mild, mass tourettes….

Lorry drivers innit.

I’ve driven a lorry as part of my work and as a summer job. It’s the most mind-numbing, depressing, tedious activity I could possibly imagine. Personally I craved human contact and would chat for far too long to all the nubile 18 year old lady hitchhikers I picked up. I should imagine doing it your entire working life could make you fairly autistic.

Rich
    Free Member

And there’s another thing I’ve noticed too: Some people ‘twitch’ when, if they think for a second, they HAVE actually heard me!

My Wife sort of does that, she will make out she hasnt heard me, but I know she has, so I just dont repeat it and then she will answer the question!

Think its a bad habit.

molgrips
    Free Member

The pause is because your brain holds onto what people’ve said for a few seconds. So someone says something you don’t hear, if you wait for a second your brain is still processing it then you can work out what was said. Often after you’ve said ‘sorry?’ and they’ve started repeating it…

jimmy

good capitalisation, lacks substance. 1/10.

stratobiker
    Free Member

I think the twitch bit works like this…….

They didn’t hear you correctly, they work it out, then they respond.

I think I might be going a bit mutton. Sometimes when Mrs S says something to me and I haven’t heard it I can work it out. Other times I repeat back to here what I heard.

PP – It’s probably just as frustrating for the drivers. Why don’t weighbridge operators speak clearly and slowly? 😉

thomthumb
    Free Member

jimmy: uncharitable i particually like the way that this bit

AAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

goes off the page!!

4/10 – far too coherent.

GrahamS

Samuri: was that before or after you killed these nubile hitchhikers?

coffeeking
    Free Member

Ol’ man moaning content, im all for being polite and I dont think the ear-movey-nod gesture is rude at all – much as I wouldnt be annoyed if someone waved instead of saying the word hello while passing.

Surfr
    Free Member

I get the twitch thing sometimes myself. As has already been stated, it’s just a short lapse while your brain parses and interprets the incoming signal. Like any signal, if the line is noisy, a bit of signal processing is required beyond normal, and this process takes time.

chakaping
    Free Member

Do you think they get together at their truck stops and talk about “that miserable sod at the weighbridge”?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

“Don’t go near the scary shouty man in the box!” 🙁

coffeeking
    Free Member

I suspect PP isn’t at all shouty when faced with a lorry driver, only on the forum 😉

stumpy01

Buy a megaphone and use that all the time.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I suspect PP isn’t at all shouty when faced with a lorry driver

I’ve met him and expect he makes them cry 🙁

samuri
    Free Member

kill ’em and then flash your lights at the next lorry driver you see to tell ’em where the body is stashed, for sharing.

It’s code you know.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Do you think they get together at their truck stops and talk about “that miserable sod at the weighbridge”?

Oh, I know they do that, but that’s because I won’t do ‘cash jobs’ (nudge nudge, wink wink!) for anyone. I dunny care what they think of me. 🙂

As has already been stated, it’s just a short lapse while your brain parses and interprets the incoming signal.

Nope, it’s not :). It’s a substitute for words. End of. You should see what happens sometimes if I don’t respond to it – They carry on doing it, they bend their ear with their finger, and try to edge closer to the point where they nearly fall out of their windows! It’s astonishing what some will do rather than speak. Rude? Lazy? Slovenly? (there’s a good Notts word for you!) Uncouth? Pick any you like, they all fit.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I suspect PP isn’t at all shouty when faced with a lorry driver

I don’t shout, like I already said, because I go home with a sore throat every day if I do. 90% of the time this is no problem, and I’m aware of the one or two drivers that really are a bit mutton-jeff. 🙂

I’ve met him and expect he makes them cry

LOL!
    😀
    As an aside – I’m also the quarry Safety Rep and because I see everyone in and out of here, if they break any rules (PPE, speeding, using the phone when driving etc) it’s down to me to sort it out. Usually a friendly explanation is all that’s required but some try it on ALL the time. You’d be amazed, really, they think they’re immune to rules, or clever, or that I’m stupid and don’t notice the phone in their hand or whatever….
    I have absolutely no problem giving persistant offenders a proper talking to. I’m polite, I’m VERY firm, I don’t shout or swear, and I’ll ban them rather than see someone get injured. Tears would be a little too far, methinks, but I can shut them up if I need to.

Power crazy? Meeee? Nooooooo……
    😉

MrNutt
    Free Member

would you like to borrow my megaphone?

jimmy

Don’t you have one of them trucker radios in your cabin? Porkchop express to PeterPoddy…

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘ARRGGHH! FFS Just say ‘PARDON?’ (rudeness content)’ is closed to new replies.