Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Arrgggghhhh: Fettling eff-up
  • mikey74
    Free Member

Is there anyway to save a non-driveside Zee crank with a stripped bolt? If not, can I buy a spare crank? I’ve done a quick search in the usual places and can’t find any yet.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Nut and bolt.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Step 1 – Use a hammer
    Step 2 – If Step 1 fails, use a bigger hammer

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mikey74
    Free Member

Perhaps I should expand: Whilst re-fitting the non-driveside crank one of the pinch bolts managed to strip the internal thread of the crank (note that I am blaming the bolt, not myself :mrgreen: ), so now the bolt just continues turning.

A nut and bolt could be an option, if I could find a bolt small enough.

ThePinkster

How about drilling & re-tapping the thread and use a slightly larger bolt?

duncancallum

Helicoil it

davewalsh
    Free Member

+2 for helicoil.

mikey74
    Free Member

How about drilling & re-tapping the thread and use a slightly larger bolt?

I don’t really have the tools for that at the moment but it’s an option. If the crank material is that soft, wouldn’t making the hole larger weaken them?

P20

Is there any thread left that a longer bolt would be able to work?

Speshpaul

Chase the thread out with the same size tap.
    Some times they will come back, a new bolt can help.

simondbarnes

Madison stock LH Zee crankarms @ £44.99 – pretty much any bike shop will be able to get you one.

ThePinkster

If the crank material is that soft, wouldn’t making the hole larger weaken them?

No idea without looking at one TBH. Either helicoiling or buying a new arm would be a better bet if you don’t have the kit and aren’t in too much of a rush.

somafunk

This is going to sound pretty stupid but i have repaired similar by wrapping the bolt thread with strips of tinfoil then seeing if it will bite, sometimes it takes a few wraps/attempts but when/if it does then it’s bodgetastic celebration time.

edit : no grease, clean everything so it’s squeaky clean and can cause friction>heat between the alloy//foil/bolt when tightened.

mikey74
    Free Member

OK, cheers folks. I think I will first see if I can get hold of a replacement crank arm. If that doesn’t work out then I’ll give some of those suggestions a whirl.

RobHilton
    Free Member

I’ve had a couple of SLX bolts snap (on different cranksets) and have merrily continued with the one – now replaced with decent bolts.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

ifyoure lakesish I’ll tap it. frickin love tapping stuff its like magic

mikey74
    Free Member

Fraid not, I’m down sarff, but thanks for the offer.

climbingkev
    Free Member

My lbs got me a nds 105 crankarm for £22.50. I’d if be shocked if it costs more than £30. Use it as a tin foil experiment first.

duncancallum

Go see an engineering shop armed with some beer tomorrow morning bet they’ll helicoil for you

tillydog
    Free Member

FWIW: Helicoils make a stronger, more robust thread than the orignal tapped alloy.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

If you’re ever passing Bolton I’d happily helicoil it for you.

cannondaleking
    Free Member

If your in lowestoft area pop in and I’ll helicoil it for you dude just bring donuts or post it and I’ll do it if your not

Superficial
    Free Member

Dammit you’re lucky. I bought a tap and die set and I’ve been itching to use it but the opportunity hasn’t arisen yet.

j450n
    Free Member

Green Threadlock.

AlexSimon

Superficial – Member

Dammit you’re lucky. I bought a tap and die set and I’ve been itching to use it but the opportunity hasn’t arisen yet. Genuinely lol at this

Goldigger
    Free Member

Where down south are you? If your near Hemel I can re tap it for you..

mikey74
    Free Member

Thanks for the offer but I’m on the opposite side of London to you.

igm

I have an XT nds crank arm somewhere after I broke the spindle thereby trashing the drive side.

Any use?

mikey74
    Free Member

I really appreciate the offer but I’d rather pursue a matching arm to begin with. Hold that thought because I may get back to you if nothing else succeeds.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Arrgggghhhh: Fettling eff-up’ is closed to new replies.