Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Arrgggggh job rant
  • mikey74
    Free Member

I’m not really enjoying my job any more (senior architectural technician) and I’m just about getting fed up. The trouble is that I can’t afford to re-train as Uni/college costs are extortionate (resulting in long-term debt) and , to be honest, I don’t really want to do this job for another three years or so.

The other trouble is that I’m not really sure what I want to do. and at 40, I want to get this right.

My other role at the moment is IT manager. which I actually enjoy more than my main job, but I don’t have any qualifications in this, and limited experience, so I can’t really transfer directly into this type of job.

I’d like to utilise one of my interests (geology, Earth sciences, music, physical exercise) but these would require a lot of expensive training and possibly limited prospects at the end. So, I feel a bit stuck at the moment.

I don’t really expect any answers here, I just felt like I needed to get that down in print.

Jamie
    Free Member

which I actually enjoy more than my main rob

Hey! Leave Rob out of this….poor guy.

I don’t really expect any answers here

Glad to have helped.

mikey74
    Free Member

You really didn’t.

fionap

Could you look at moving to a different practice/company where you’d be working on a different type/scale of project, using different software etc? In my experience the two ends of architecture are like different industries (comparing small rural practice to multinational commercial sector). Maybe there’s potential to change jobs for the better without doing something completely different, at least to try it out for a bit. I wouldn’t write off the IT manager skills either – even without a formal qualification that’s something a lot of smaller/medium size practices need help with.

mikey74
    Free Member

Thanks fionap. I have thought of that, and it may be an option, but I’m not really sure I want to do this any more and would like to look at what alternatives are out there.

househusband

Just wondering… do you have a degree..?

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I jacked it all in and became a bike mechanic. Great job, shit pay. Never been happier or as skint.

jamj1974

The other trouble is that I’m not really sure what I want to do. and at 40, I want to get this right.

Can’t offer any advice but I am in a somewhat similar position. I have an idea of what I would like to do and that I think I would be reasonable at. The need to support my family and the costs of retraining are significant issues…

mikey74
    Free Member

Yes, HH: Geography and American Studies. Useful huh? :mrgreen:

Cool neil, but I really don’t think I could afford that. It’s something to think about though.

househusband

Yes, HH: Geography and American Studies. Useful huh? :mrgreen:

Post-grad teaching..? Quite knows what subject, though… 😉

wallop

OP – what is it about your current role you don’t like? Have you thought about going into D&B management with a main contractor?

mikey74
    Free Member

The stress, mainly.

I have also thought about some kind of building pathology/surveying role may be more my kinda thing.

donks
    Free Member

I’ll do you a job swap….. Electrical/mechanical engineer ( building services). I’d like to go the architectural path but at 40 it’s too late and expensive as you pointed out!
    How about going freelance? That’s what I’m toying with?

mikey74
    Free Member

Thanks, but no thanks donk.

Freelance may be an option but I’d still be doing the same thing.

**wanders off to look at Cytech training**

Or….

My mate owns a taxi company: perhaps I’ll do that.

nickjb
    Free Member

Have a think about freelance. Even though it’s the same job it’ll be very different.

dogmatix

See a therapist, im only half joking. Whilst theres lots of prejudice about such things. It could help you discover more about what your reasons are and so find a clearer answer. It could save lots of time.

Sundayjumper

Mike – I’m in a very similar position.

Neil – Very few days go past without the same idea going around in my head.

doris5000

i was freelance for nearly 8 years. If you’re talking stress, there’s nothing quite like going for 2 or 3 months without a single penny coming into your bank account to keep you on your toes 😉

(ok i was in a shit artsy industry but still…)

munrobiker
    Free Member

A geography degree could get you into my world (Geotechnical environmental consultancy), just. It’d be in an entry level role (15-20k) but it’s an easy job to learn if you have a handle on solid and “crap on the top” geology.

moshimonster
    Free Member

Welcome to the start of your mid life crisis 🙂

Serioiusly, I doubt it’s the job. At 40 I had my dream job and I still wasn’t happy with it and thought I needed to do something completely different. So I jacked it in and tried a totally different career. I soon realised it was a bad idea and I was even less happy.

So my advice is to seriously question whether it is the job that’s the real problem or something deeper. I’d put good money on it that it’s not really the job.

ourmaninthenorth

There’s a lot to be said for career coaching.

Sounds arty-farty*, but may prove really useful. I’ve used some both formally and informally, and it’s helped me to get a handle on what it is I want to get out of going to work. Think of it as an investment into your future. It may give you the drive to go and explore the alternatives.

My only piece of advice is this: don’t get so far down the dissatisfaction line before you find what you do want to do. It’s important to move “to” something, rather than “from” something. You’re already in the “from” place, but you can slow that by putting your energy first into exploring your options and second into making some commitments to realising whatever you land on.

I’ve just changed direction at 38. It’s not a radical change, and it’s happened within the organisation I was already in. But it’s taken around 18 months to get here and I’ve relied on the guidance and help of coaches and formal and informal mentoring relationships.

*thanks Alan Sugar for denigrating anything involving thinking

dogmatix

I’m with moshimonster(thats twice in two days)and our maninthenorth on this. Though it may be your job thats the problem, its hard to know for sure. If you find out more about what you want to do/be either with career coaching or a therapist. (therapist arent just for fixing psychological problems, they can help you uncover stuff about yourself, I’ve seen one, not because I had deep issues, just because I felt like my life could be better, and I thought it was good to talk to someone about it, someone trained and with knowledge, it was more an oil and filter change, as opposed to a new head gasket). Its hard to look at yourself and what you want with an objective mind, its like looking at a picture with your nose rammed right up against it. People around you can help but no matter how objective they try to be they can’t give you a really independent view. They themselves are only two foot away from the painting. You need someone independent but that takes the time understand who you are and what you really want. Just make sure if you do go down this route you choose someone reputable and ask for references that you can contact.

mikey74
    Free Member

All good points, thanks. I’ve gotta admit, my head/personal life isn’t exactly in a great place right now, so worth pondering over.

I’ve always thought I should be a scientist, though :mrgreen: research and investigations are things I really enjoy.

barkm
    Free Member

I have this, every other week. I’m convinced I took the wrong route, and now I’m expending 95% of my energy covering my arse, arguing the toss with tossers, and sat on my backside for 12 hours a day in front of a computer.

I was in the Army, never new then how lucky I was, and screwed it all up with some ridiculous idea that I should follow the money, rather than my own happiness.
    And so it goes, for millions of others like me, marooned the wrong side of 40 in a loathsome career. 🙂

My son is doing carpentry, all he’s ever wanted to do, loves it. I find myself envying the opportunity he has. My advice to him was, screw money, find something you enjoy and do it well, and fgs stay out of the office environment.

back to flicking through jobserve…

dazh

and now I’m expending 95% of my energy covering my arse, arguing the toss with tossers, and sat on my backside for 12 hours a day in front of a computer.

This describes my job pretty succinctly. Bloody soul-destroying. I have daily fantasies about how I could just walk out and never come back without telling anyone. Either that or throwing the bloody computer out the window and giving some of the said tossers a slap. Of course I’ll never do it. So I just sit here quietly seething whilst trying to maintain the illusion of professionalism.

jools182
    Free Member

I’m a similar age and position but engineering technician

This used to be a pretty well respected and fairly well paid job, it seems things have changed

Now it seems like no respect and no money, tired of being skint

I’ve thought about IT but I think it would be difficult in your 40’s

Deck chair attendant on the riviera is looking appealing

mikey74
    Free Member

I think it partly lies in the fact that I ‘ve been here longer that at any previous job, twice as long, actually.

zoota

My two cents is ” those that can teach… teach” has this option popped up for you?
    Alternativly take some time out, maybe useing sick days for stress and focus on you a bit.

I have just recently buried my dad and it was his last lessson to me that life is to short and you are never to old for anything.
    there is always a soultion however thinking on your thinking some times just over looks the correct answers.
    First thing get that bike you have, stash some cash or a credit card in your pocket and go riding until you need dinner, b&b or even just late night coming home do that for a few days with out attending to anything else in life.

mikey74
    Free Member

To be honest, I would really suck at teaching.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Arrgggggh job rant’ is closed to new replies.