Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Arran regulars – MTB or CX/Gravel ?
  • iainc

Heading over in a few weeks with the family, for a week in Lamlash. Have ridden most of the Arran bike club routes in the past and also a fair amount on the roads there. Will be aiming for a few hrs early most mornings before family surface, and poss an evening or 2. Also some tame stuff with the boys.

Head says CX/gravel, heart says Soul 😀

Thoughts ?

Am on the Arran Bike Club FB group already.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

MTB or road bike, cx pointless over there.

iainc

Greg – I knew you’d be along 😀

CX is handy for fire roads with the boys and I reckon I could do a fair chunk of the Brodick and Classic routes on it, albeit less fun than on HT. I can’t take both..

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Soul is perfectly acceptable for the fire roads, unless those boys of yours are hitting 20mph on their bikes, and soul way more fun on the singletrack too.

iainc

Methinks you are right there, and TBH having spent a week last Easter doing the Ross every morning and a couple of round the Island days, all on poorish surfaces, the lure of the MTB is probably stronger 🙂

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Arran is great for a road ride once or twice a year, but there only is the 3 roads as you know. Take the soul and explore a bit more – try the path up to Urie loch from the forest drive south of lamlash, I only went so far up it last year as the midges were a bit much, but apart from the boggy bits it was promising.

Along the coastal path from corrie and over to Lochranza and back is a good un, I also notice a few trails up at the highest point of the string as well that I’ve never explored.

iainc

cheers, that helped me decide, MTB it is 🙂

iainc

Heading over on Sat, after a week off the bike on hol in Northumberland I cannae wait. MTB it is 😀

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Contact Gerard from the club on facebook, thursday nightride’s a goodun!.

iainc

Nobeer, aye, have done, its Lamlash next Thursday so handy too 😀

molgrips
    Free Member

Hijack – is there a real difference between CX and gravel?

iainc

Molgrips – IMO no, but I guess cx is maybe more race orientated ? or marketing bollocks 😀

I have a CDF 30 – what is it – CX ? Gravel ? Tourer ? Adventure ?

Too heavy to be a race bike, not quite a tourer… I dunno !

iainc

Well I took the Soul, rode 5 days out of the week, including as couple of big rides with my boys. Great trails and some real decent trail building by Arran Bike Club since I was last there, hats off to the guys !

iainc

some brill trails

and other fun stuff 🙂

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Arran regulars – MTB or CX/Gravel ?’ is closed to new replies.