• This topic has 13 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by rp16v.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Around Town Bike – Charge Grater 3 or Kona Dr Dew
  • Mat

Looking for a bike to get about town on and I’m quite taken by the Charge Grater 3 and Kona Dr Dew. I want something that stops me doing short trips in the car so something I can ride around in normal clothes(when the weather is crap) and shoes (so flat pedals). I’d like something that encourages me to not try and race everywhere

My main criteria are:
    – disc brakes
    – full length mudguards
    – flat bar
    – rear rack mounts (to take the tubus cargo I already have)

I like the grater cos the alfine seems like a good low maintenance option. On the otherhand I like the fork rack mounts on the Kona (I was dead set on the grater till I saw the Kona – my heart seems to be leaning to that now…)

What insight can the STW hive mind offer…

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Sturmey Archer three speed; available from a skip. Good fun for round town.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

My stock answer – once you go Dutch you never go back. I love 3 speed Nexus, stepthru, roller brakes, full guards,, sidestand, 26ers with puncture-guard tyres, beefy racks, rust-resist chain and dynohub w/lights. Onboard locks complete the near zero-maintenance town/ute/cruiser. I forget going fast as not an option unless downhill, so I go easy like sailing a boat on calm seas. Definitely zen cycling, and the road presence is considerable. Without a doubt the best 100 quid I ever spent. Just blob a bit of Shimano brake oil in the rollers once a year.

(Not my pic)

bigblackshed

My Dr Dew is 10 years old now. It’s had many guises. Commuter, tourer, now it’s on CX duties. It’s nowhere near standard spec. I wore out everything and replaced with bling.

With 32 slicks, narrow flat bars and a longer stem, it just begs to be ridden hard and fast. Oooo-err. Very nimble in traffic and reasonably quick.

I’ve now taken the guards off, short stem, wide riser bars, nobbly wider tyres. Bit of tarmac, bridle ways, fire roads, singletrack trasher.

As a tourer with a heavy trailer it didn’t complain or miss a beat.

It’s not a potter about town bike, it just encourages me to ride as fast as I can.

EDIT: What about the IKEA bike?

kimbers

Ive got a 2015 dew deelux, its done >2000k and its been very reliable, tyres didnt last too long and the wheels a bit heavy but tough, its very well thought out, 1×9 on mine cable discs etc
    Ive had an alfine commuter previously and I prefer a rear derailer set up as feels a bit quicker (and its easier to add an axle trailer hitch- which is good for the nursery run)
    Its quite fast though!

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

^^^ another plus – is literally invisible to thieving scrotes.

imnotverygood

I’ve got a Grater 3 and it does what it says on the tin. Gets you around town and it isn’t too heavy although the Alfine does add a bit of mass. I’ve had it since April and no real problems with it. If I was being picky then the mudguards could be a bit longer for maximum protection, but other than that it seems to be a well balanced , nicely made sort of bike. It is a lot better than the Roadrat I had before.

kayak23

Malvern Rider – Member
    My stock answer

Where’d you get it Malvern rider?

shermer75
    Free Member

Top tip: I’ve stopped getting any oily marks on my leg since I’ve added a bash ring on my commuter

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Where’d you get it Malvern rider?

From fellow STWer of this parish, via classifieds. Top bloke too. I see a few pop up on Ebay and Gumtree, just look for Batavus, Gazelle or Sparta. Worth travelling for if you get a good used one at a good price. Best bet might be take a cheapie weekend to Amsterdam where these are regular fleet/hire bikes. Buy used one ahead online from Marktplaats and collect on a mini-break. Celebrate with some fine coffee and cake.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Would a singlespeed be a viable option?

For example, they only have 1 green 16″ frame left, but the Kona Humu is £400 at Wiggle.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/kona-humuhumu-2016-hybrid-bike/

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Couple of nice-looking Union Load bikes on Fleabay at the minute for around £300. 3 spd Nexus. Cant seem to post a link but one is free delivery

*edit Here tiz

spectraken
    Free Member

I have a 2005 Dew Deluxe, it’s a great do it all bike. Bought it as a frame on eBay for £32 and built it up. Deore 3×10 with Exal LX17 on Deore hubs with BB7 discs. Mine weighs about 12kg with a Brooks B17. Tough as old boots, had 30kg touring on it in Iceland, with a Tubus Disco rear rack and Tubus Tara low riders on the Project 2’s. So definitely recommended!

rp16v
    Free Member

I built a charge grater 0 with drip bars for the same reason it rides really well and can take all the rack and gaurds you need and oooodles of clearance even with 38c tyres but unfortunatley have to sell it if singlespeed is any use to you

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Around Town Bike – Charge Grater 3 or Kona Dr Dew’ is closed to new replies.