• This topic has 5 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by rone.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Aronofsky's Mother!
  • rone

What an experience! Aronofsky has just pushed the 3 poeple in the cinema as far as they’d probably like to go!

A multi-layered nightmare that for me that was about the incompatibility of fame and the person. A satire that dares to go way beyond typical dramatic logic. Still keeps its three acts though.

The cinematography and sound design were exceptional – about 75% of the shots were hinged around close-ups of Jennifer Lawrence – who does well at keeping the sane protagonist in touch with the viewer. And that’s about as regular as it gets.

Lots of theories abound as to what this was about, and not in a Lynchian way – they’re all plausible to someone with half of a brain.

If you like divisive and creative cinema go and get this experience before it crashes out of the box office!

Take your partner and she may not speak to you for a few days (is what I heard actually happened from one fellow cinemagoer).

shermer75
    Free Member

I agree about the photography and the performances, I thought they were excellent. For me it was lacking the depth of ‘Black Swan’ though- it all seemed a bit obvious, as if the director had had an anxiety dream and decided to make a film about it. There’s enough there to make you mull over it for a couple of days though, and that’s always a good sign!

rone

Broadly what was your interpretation? People are talking about the Mother earth element and I didn’t see this at the time.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    shermer75
    Free Member

It seemed like fairly straightforward relationship anxiety type stuff to me

shermer75
    Free Member

Although to be fair- ansd this is one of the things I liked about it- is that there is enough stuff in there for you to be able to relate to it in lots of different ways, so everyone’s interpretation is going to be a bit different. One friend really zeroed in on the fame thing, another couldn’t get past the religious stuff, neither of which really mean anything to me at all!! 🙂

rone

Classic.

I thinks that completely appropriate in this case, unlike, say Twin Peaks 3 which was a bit of a confused bore fest.

I believe Lynch’s storyline became incomprehensible and lost most of its narrative logic and forced people to interpret it.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Aronofsky's Mother!’ is closed to new replies.