Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Army Goretex – can someone show me what i need?
  • rob-jackson
    Free Member

I am buying some trousers to do the cutting down into waterproof shorts. On ebay – which are the best? 33″ waist btw

davetrave
    Free Member

If you’ve got a surplus store close by, try there. You can try before you buy and might end up cheaper than some of the bog standard issue stuff that eBayers try to flog with the “SAS, SBS, SF, Para, Marines” tag to inflate the price as you’ll be able to see the actual condition and if there’s a tatty pair ripe for cutting down that might not otherwise sell, you could haggle the dealer down…

Alternatively I might have an old set somewhere that I didn’t have to hand in when we got the new style combat kit. Might be a bit big though as it’s sized to fit over combat trousers/shirt/jacket/softie combo.

Edit: Thinking about it, I might even have some desert pattern ones somewhere as well – will have a root around this evening…

rob-jackson
    Free Member

are thet all created equal? Are they harder wearing than say the endura superlites?

andrewy

Slight thread hijack; how do you hem them once cut down: sewing, iron on ‘hem glue’ or just not bother?

druidh
    Free Member

Does it even matter that they are “breathable” given that they are shorts? Why bother with Gore-tex?

TooTall
    Free Member

I’d recommend looking for a local surplus shop and seeing what they have from other countries. A couple of them do bib trousers, so you get something better.

rOcKeTdOg

I just chopped mine into 3/4 sizing is odd though so make sure you know your measurements in “army” sizing

jamest
    Free Member

Cut and then use seam sealant glue

davetrave
    Free Member

Durability: well it’s designed for use in action, but like anything it’ll rip if caught on say barbed wire. It’ll be the standard Gore, not Paclite or anything fancy so with normal wear and tear they’ll be pretty robust. We’ve been through phases of lightweight, then heavy harder wearing, then back to lightweight (2 layer – 3 layer – 2 layer). If you want really tough then you need some of the trousers from the late 90s, early 2000’s. TBH though it’s probably not make that much difference.

Sizing: issue kit is sized in centimetres, not inches, so you’ll need to know your waist size in cm. We also size for seat and inside leg – when you look at the tab you’ll see something like 12/34/56, this is the waist/seat/inside leg in cm.

Bear in mind they won’t have fancy pants stretch panels or anything like that either so you may find the back of the waist being pulled down by pedalling/moving around in the saddle.

TooTall’s comments about other nationalities’ kit is a good point, especially the bibs, but bear in mind, in general, everything will be much of a muchness in terms of material, durability, etc, it’ll just be the camouflage pattern that’s different (I used to use a Dutch DPM Goretex liner years ago and was given some American kit last year when I was attached to them). And some surplus stores might add a mark up for “exotic” foreign kit…

mattjg
    Free Member

They are overtrousers so go a waist size up from your normal.

I didn’t hem mine either, just chopped them as per the bloke above with the broken caps lock

I did staple them a bit, behind, to fit the knee but the staples fell out. No biggie.

They are brilliant on warmish dampish days (or cold dry days) – ultra light and simple and really properly waterproof against splashes and trailcrap (I wear lycras underneath). I can roll the legs to shorten them if it gets warm and pedalling doesn’t undo the roll.

On really cold deep water puddle sodden days the 3/4 cut method doesn’t work for me because there is too much water ingress up the legs from below. It’s not worth hemming them properly IMO, may as well buy some cycle specific off the pegs for that.

I think what I’m saying is these don’t replace the need for a decent pair of made-for-purpose shorts on the bad days. But for a measly price they’re better on the light wear days, which saves wear on your expensive kit and it keeps it in good condition for when it’s really needed.

I’ve kept another pair at full length for walking in the rain and rides when I know it’s going to be raining start top finish, they work well too.

mattjg
    Free Member

wow stevied’s link … they’ve got cheaper I’m sure I paid 20 quid!

have we sacked all our soldiers?

hmm perhaps they don’t need European gear any more, they’re staying in the desert permanently

summitsup
    Free Member

cut mine down to 3/4. fit really well over 661 knee pads. keeps your backside fairly dry. cut slightly longer and hemmed on sewing machine. attached a velcro strip and made a cinch strap from the off cuts. So far after a years worth of use they are holding up well, plus you just hose em down after. Only slight problem is the waist fastning is with elastic and a toggle so slight slippage occurs. but cant grumble for £20!

TooTall
    Free Member

hmm perhaps they don’t need European gear any more, they’re staying in the desert permanently

New pattern of uniform. Classic DPM is being phased out in favour of the new kit – a variation of Multicam. One for all as it were.

davetrave
    Free Member

TooTall – Member

New pattern of uniform. Classic DPM is being phased out in favour of the new kit – a variation of Multicam. One for all as it were.

Known as MTP – Multi Terrain Pattern. There’s even a patent/registered design number tag in the kit now “Camuoflage pattern registered design No RCDxxxyyyzzz Made in China”…

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

Might buy a pair for walking in, as they are a lot cheaper than gortex waterproof kecks you see for sale in “Blacks” et al.

No good for cycling for me as I wear lycra bib shorts, if they get wet they soon warm up and the heat generated by your legs soon drys them, but I am a roadie, well 49% of me is. 😀

diawl2
    Free Member

I have a pair with velcro fly and draw string waist fastening. I’ve never worn them and they’re A1 condition. Size on label says Height 170 Waist 88. Actual waist measurement is 35 inches and inside leg is 27 inches. £15.00 posted if anyone wants them.
    ETA they’re DPM.

mattjg
    Free Member

Might buy a pair for walking in, as they are a lot cheaper than gortex waterproof kecks you see for sale in “Blacks” et al.

They’s so cheap they’re near disposable.

I also like the simplicity: no pockets, no zips, no flaps, no velcro. This makes them light too.

hora
    Free Member

Im a massive fan of the jackets but not the pants.

Why?

The pants get in the way, russle etc etc.

I borrowed some old superlites when i forgot to bring pants and loved them. Weird but you really feel bulk on your waist/arse/upper legs after superlites back to others…

noteeth
    Free Member

The pants get in the way, russle etc etc.

Puttees are due a comeback.

jamiesilo
    Free Member

talking of army goretex, these are well good

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170432333938?var=470000864955&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

i’ve had the short ones for years. and they work a treat. worn them in leaking wellies full of water: feet warm and dry. worn them up the cobbler in 3′ of snow in crappy trainers, feet warm and dry.
    been thinking the long ones would be ideal for real ming.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Army Goretex – can someone show me what i need?’ is closed to new replies.