Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • armstrongs peak
  • manitou
    Free Member

he wore a peak mtb stylee for yesterdays first stage of the tour of california

uplink
    Free Member

what colour was it?

did it match his shoes?

🙄

pjt201
    Free Member

he said something on twitter how when it rains he likes to wear a peak to keep the water out of his eyes. i don’t quite see how that helps though. he also had a picture of him in training on a bike with sks raceguards on (or whatever the clip on ones are called), seemed to only be using the rear one which didn’t make much sense either. so all in all i don’t think lance makes sense.

manitou
    Free Member

it was black. Was pissing down, other riders wore caps underneath their helmets.

clubber
    Free Member

pjt201 – funny because, I’d say that a peak does exactly that and I can understand a rear guard only – keeps your @rse dry which helps prevent saddle sores – the front guard only really keeps your feet dry in my experience (though I’m tall so maybe short-arses get spray in their eyes from the front wheel?

pjt201
    Free Member

if you were riding like lance you’d definitely get more than wet feet from the front wheel. spray on my bike reguarly comes up to eye height and above, but it’s mainly the front of my legs that takes the brunt of it. i suppose i don;t ever ride without a peak so i don’t really know what difference it makes…

manitou
    Free Member

i find a peak keeps water and crap off my glasses

clubber
    Free Member

While I don’t claim to be able to ride like Lance, I’m pretty sure that when riding downhill/etc that I can attain the sorts of speed that he does on the flat 🙂

nickc

On the Eurosport commentary (whilst the rain was so bad, they had nothing else to talk about) they were all of a twitter about MTB styles in road riding, as if by adding a peak to his helmet LA was some-how being massively controversial. 🙄

Some-how it makes me smile that the Californians are having shite weather as well as us.

crazy-legs

I always wear my helmet peak when I’m road riding and it attracts controversy whether it’s the local crit race, a Sportive or the Tour of California.
    I’ve been told a few times that I should remove the peak, it really winds some fellow racers up which is fine by me cos it means they’re not concentrating on the race…

epo-aholic
    Free Member

roadies are just so twee………..dahling!

twohats
    Free Member

traildog
    Free Member

I ride on the road with a peak and it really winds some people in our club up. Apparently, it makes me look “like an American”. I do find it’s good in the rain though.

clubber
    Free Member

On the Eurosport commentary (whilst the rain was so bad, they had nothing else to talk about) they were all of a twitter about MTB styles in road riding, as if by adding a peak to his helmet LA was some-how being massively controversial

It IS controversial on the road – they’re a conservative bunch – even LA’s black socks got them frothing at the mouth…

lyons
    Free Member

this thread has made me laugh so much… when I used to go out with my local road club, I’d allways use my mtb shoes, pedals, and helmet with peak… They allways used to try to wind me up about it, and even worse was when I dared to bunny hop the speed bumps on one descent.

Not trying to wind people up, and it may have just been the people i rode with, but they took themselves far too seriously, and always used to critisize other riders, even they weren’t seious rodies or mtb-ers.

To be honest, I thought they were a group of idiots really…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘armstrongs peak’ is closed to new replies.