• This topic has 68 replies, 35 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Taz.
Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)
  • Armstrong (SPOILER)
  • nostoc
    Free Member

Contador needs friends, preferably on his own team. I fear he could stitched up.

Ed2001
    Free Member

AndyP how come nobody else is agreeing with this profound expert analysis of yours.

aP
    Free Member

I'm just waiting for hora to wade in with an interesting stream of consciousness……

AndyP
    Free Member

AndyP how come nobody else is agreeing with this profound expert analysis of yours.
    Armstrong is. That do you?

Ed2001
    Free Member

Ive had enough.

clubber
    Free Member

Armstrong isn't agreeing with you AndyP – what he said, quite rightly is that some riders (eg Evans) are far enough back now that it's going to be very difficult for them to make it up. Not impossible but unlikely. What he didn't say was that all other riders (bar Contador) were in that position.

Some things to consider ref Contador not getting support from his Astana team

– The Astana paymasters (eg the Kazaks) have said that they want Armstrong and Bruyneel out of the team next year. If that's so, some of the riders wouldn't be well advised to support LA rather than Contador..

– If Astana fail to support Contador, I reckon that Caisse D'Epargne, amongst other teams will do – CD'E because they're regarded as the team who Contador's going to next year, others because LA/Astana/Bruyneel isn't that popular

– The tactic on Monday to take time was text book and absolutely the right thing to do. Contador lost no time to anyone who mattered other than his team mate and it'd have been silly for Astana not to have taken advantage of it when there's always a risk that Contador may have problems (crash, etc). They'd have looked pretty silly losing the tour by a few seconds at the end when the time was on offer.

hora
    Free Member

My contribution to this thread?

…allez Lance Allez!

aP
    Free Member

I reckon that lala/bruyneel/leipheimer/popo will be out of Astana by the beginning of August and Contador will be at Caisse d'Epargne by then as well.
    I'm impressed that lala is talking directly to andyp, or is this just twittering? There's some funny stuff on the lala haters/lovers threads on cyclingnews.

TheSanityAssassin

AndyP – Member
    Don't know much but I guess this being his first tour may disappoint.
    you certainly don't know much!

Patronising w.anker.

There's no doubt plenty of forum members that have a passing interest in the Tour, but don't come from a roadie background and therefore have little knowledge of the teams, tactics, protocols etc etc.

Shack
    Free Member

No way is this over, I think its just heightening the tension. Bruyneel and Armstrong are master tacticians and I'm sure they have a plan worked out to the letter. He didnt stand out in the opening time trial and he used his experience to make sure he was in the break the other day. I cant see him riding away from people in the mountains, he's still got a lot of hard work to do. Theres always the possibility he'll crash and anyone can have a bad day in the mountains and lose serious time. He certainly has the self belief, but I also think that when they come the attacks on him will be relenless and he could well find himself short of team mates. He's got himself a cushion, but the stuffing is going to get well knocked out of it. Its still very early days and I like to think this race will go all the way to Mt Ventoux.

aP
    Free Member

I wonder if it was Bradley's identical twin who I saw in the Pyrenees in July 2007 then?

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

I don't know if it was LA's experiance that helped him spot that Columbia break on stage 3, or a quiet word in the ear from Big George Hincapie. LA is an experianced enough operator to be aware of the danger, but I wouldn't be surprised if his former team mate tipped him off.

hora
    Free Member

..allez Lance Allez!

aP
    Free Member

I would imagine that lala won't even acknowledge Hincapie any more, as that's what he's done to every other former lala team rider in the past.

clubber
    Free Member

LA is still very friendly with Big George. And the other riders who were left without a team when Disco disbanded (until they became Astana).

Sandwich

Are you sure about that? How did he finish 12th? And come come the consensus is that he was actually one of the strongest in the last week?

Every time the Giro went uphill Lance went off the back every time I watched it (an advantage of unemployment). He finished some of the early mountain stages barely in control of the bike. So yes I'm sure.

hora
    Free Member

Sandwich, as I said earlier hes not the same rider. Hes too big/bulky/muscular for the mountains but then again he wouldnt even have considered the 09 tour if he was going to embarriss himself I guess. Plus, noticed- he is getting slimmer and slimmer so maybe is adjusting his diet etc in preparation for the mountains…..

Smee
    Free Member

Lance for the win, Cav for the green jersey. I also think that Cav will win a tour before he retires. Wonder what odds I'd get on that lot.

alwyn
    Free Member

Can't argue with that:

Sandwich

That's some serious dehydration!

BlingBling
    Free Member

So much hate for Lance, it's such a shame.

I hope he does something magic (shrooms) in the mountains :mrgreen:

That stare

anagallis_arvensis

I also think that Cav will win a tour before he retires

I'll give you 500:1

hora
    Free Member

Allez Lance Allez!

MrSalmon
    Free Member

It proves nothing other than he was in the right place yesterday and Contador wasn't.

Isn't that what it's (partly) all about though? Obviously it's early days, but the fact is Contador could be where Armstrong is now and he isn't.

glenp
    Free Member

Lance himself said he was lucky to be on the right side of Monday's split. Mind you, it could be one of those "the more I practice, the luckier I get" things.

He is so good at the subtle dig though – yesterday when he was just smiling about Contador riding in his wheel all day, commenting that he'd told the boy that it would be a complicated day. (Didn't call him "the boy", but may as well have done.)

Another tricky stage today, which Contador might like to show off his rapid-fire climbing skills – just to take his opportunity to signal a warning for Friday.

tinsy
    Free Member

Contador could have always gone in yesterdays breakaway and been in yellow. He didnt, and I for one rekon Lance is going to fly up the mountains…

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

I for one reckon LA will murder himself to stay in touch in the mountains, using his considerable reserves of grit, focus and determination. It'll be down to the more natural climbers to demonstrate if they can shake him.

glenp
    Free Member

I've got nothing against LA, in fact he's a blimin' miracle, but if Contador doesn't attack tomorrow and all but put Lance out of the race I'll be surprised and disappointed.

Taz

I have been surprised at just how confident Lance is being. He even publicly stated he was there to win it.

I think he will not win but I doubt he would be making such brash claims if he did not think he could do it. Though doubt he is playing mind games with Contador

I hope he does win. It will be front page news ( ok maybe not 🙁 ) but it certainly would make the news and that must be good for cycling?

Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘Armstrong (SPOILER)’ is closed to new replies.