Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 96 total)
  • Armstrong / Contador
  • tankslapper
    Free Member

I'm absolutely hooked. I know it's what the media want but it's fascinating; the posturing, the begrudging respect and lines like "If Armstrong attacks, I will not be the one to go and get him," (Contador article from 13th July).

What on earth is he saying? For me it's a two horse race and always has been – will Astana turn in on itself?!

Great Stuff IMO

jockhaggis
    Free Member

Certainly makes a change from talking about doping.

offthebrakes
    Free Member

Its gripping viewing alright.

Its just a shame the ASO dropped the ball by putting the climbs so far from the finish line on the last two stages.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    alwyn
    Free Member

I think seeing Contador hasn't attacked in the mountains Armstrong has the upper hand. It depends if Contador goes for it in the alps, but the alps climbs are better suited to armstrong then the pyrenees.

It's going to be a tight race.

rolfharris
    Free Member

Armstrong can't win. Contador can. Armstrong is riding for Contador and is putting on a big media show to stir up interest.

colnagokid

'Berts in a different league to Lance. Andy Shleck, Evans, poss Sastre will be the only ones to be able to live with Bertie

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

alwyn – Member
    I think seeing Contador hasn't attacked in the mountains

Erm…..

crazy-legs

There was an interview with Armstrong the other day where, for the first time, he said there was "some tension" between them. It's over on BikeRadar, I'll try and find a link to it.

It'll be difficult to justify them both going screaming off on an attack and it'd look bad for Astana too, it shows a weakness within the team that other rivals can then exploit.

Remember the 1986 race with Lemond and Hinault both on the same team with Hinault promising to ride in support of Lemond but then getting a 5-min lead (& the yellow jersey) over him. Hinault eventually cracked and Lemond won the Tour but it was clear that Hinault had been riding aggressively against his teammate at times.

This is the best Tour in years, it's been a thrilling first week. I have my doubts that he can do it but I really hope Armstrong wins it. Can't really explain why but I really admire the guy for what he's done.

tankslapper
    Free Member

Colgnago – I'm a big fan of Contador; my guess is that the other day was to test Lance for a response. It didn't come. Alberto's one of the most natural climbers I have ever seen, stunning style, but I can't help thinking that Armstrong will pounce.

Agreed, that pounce could be everything from an uphill sprint to one of them coming-off. Whichever way it is it's shaping up to be an incredible spectacle..

BigDummy
    Free Member

The sense, palpable on the Tourmalet yesterday, that the race is basically over already and everyone is just waiting for Contador to make a move and do just precisely enough to win is a bit flat.

I loved watching Millar soloing into Barcelona, I enjoyed Brice Feuillu's win and Luis Leon Sanchez's win on Friday from Casar was fantastic. But I'm almost bored of the GC at the moment. I really need someone to surprise me. 🙂

warton
    Free Member

I think Contador has really screwed up by attacking. there was no need for it, and his team mates will not like someone going against team instructions. I can see Armstrong having the support of the team and he will get the yellow in the alps, however i think contador will claim in on ventoux

tankslapper
    Free Member

…..there's always Bradley BD…….

crazy-legs

there's always Bradley

How well has he done?! Sticking with the top GC contenders in the early mountain stages like he did. Impressive stuff!

BigDummy
    Free Member

I didn't want to jinx it. But yes, I'm looking forward to seeing a lot more of Wiggins. 😉

Merak

there's always Bradley

How well has he done?! Sticking with the top GC contenders in the early mountain stages like he did. Impressive stuff!

Positive?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Well, he's lost no time, he's climbing superbly and he can time trial as well as anyone. OK, so not a GC winner contender, but worth an outside punt for a podium!

Swiftacular
    Free Member

And looking like one for a year or two's time….

i still think Lance will take yellow in Paris though.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Don't think so Merak. He has lost 6kg since last year apparently which has reduced a bit of a power in the time trials and on the flat but has the obvious benefits in the hills….

…plus Brits don't cheat do they…lol

colnagokid

Didnt want to mention Wiggo, dont want to jinx it!
    Lance is f'ing impressive buts not the Lance of old(thankfully!) More open, friendly?
    'Bert could win the race by himself, (IM no fan BTW-bit suspect to me) but when the sh1t hits the fan, he wont need or have Astana to help him. TT he'll not lose much time, climbs? they all attack each other, but its up to Cadel, Andy & Franck, Sastre to push on 'bert can follow/attack if Lance gos someone will follow them & take 'bert with them.

RealMan
    Free Member

I have my doubts that he can do it but I really hope Armstrong wins it. Can't really explain why but I really admire the guy for what he's done.

Feel exactly the same.

And yes, Wiggins is doing fantastic. Sure is showing everyone that trackies arent just roadies who are scared of headwinds and traffic.

Cav anyone? Everyone seems to have forgotten about him because theres been a few climbs.. Hes still got some more wins to get.

IanMunro
    Free Member

It's going to be great when Lance get's this 8th win. So many people are going to be pissed off 🙂

Swiftacular
    Free Member

Better end to the movie than won 7, then left wife and kids, then failed in 8th bid 🙂

shoefiti
    Free Member

Sorry but i can't understand how Armstrong can win this, he doesn't ride as strong a TT as Contraband, and he can't climb as fast – don't get me wrong, i don't really want Contraband to win, it's just that annoying shooty thing he does when he crosses the line, makes me want to smash him in the face with a brick, but i'd bet good money that Armstrong just can not win this soley on talent.

Who really cares as long as it's not Evans anyway – he'll only get carried away and headbut someone again.

Smee
    Free Member

Armstrong will win.

Pieface

I kind of think that Lance is being paid alot to allow a win for COntador. He's riding well so everyone outside of his team will be trying to close him down. He'l thrash his pants off and give an image of instability in the team to allow Contador to run away with the win.

However I hope Wiggins wins

nostoc
    Free Member

Pieface, what planet are you on?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I thought the same as pieface, but i could see it backfiring in Parris, Armstrong keeping 2nd place by a few seconds then nailing it for the line in a bid for the win, taking them both down.

Whatever he says about just doing it for the publicity, he's proved he's compettative, and i suspect that was just an excuse in case he was just too slow, so now I doubt anythig will stop him going for the win.

FuzzyWuzzy

Assuming Lance is within a few seconds still of Contador after the TT then it just comes down to the Ventoux and I can't see how Lance has the strength to drop Contador on it. Whilst I want Contador to win I actually hope he loses a few seconds to Lance in the TT – that will make for a real nail-biter on Ventoux as no doubt Contador would attack.

Taz

Armstrong has came out publicly and said 'I am here to win'

That is a change and to me a very telling one. I think and hope (though like others not 100% sure why) that he can win.

The Annecy TT is not that long and will not be that decisive. I agree the Astana team are milking this, and doing a very good job. I am itching for week 3 in the Alps. It is a pity that 2 of the 3 Pyrenean stages were nullified (effectively) by having such long flat endings. The flip side is what a great last week we have in store with it IMO going to a Mano et Mano (sp?) on Ventoux :-).

the_lecht_rocks

conty will attack in the alps.
    don't think armstrong has the legs to go with him unfortunately.
    then again, who knows ?
    shame we've got 4 flat days ahead, although i hope cav attacks thor …

lol @ shoefiti 😀

anyone else think armstrong looks a bit 'knackered' ?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I'd like to see Armstrong win just to annoy the majority of STWers if nothing else….

😉

MartinGT
    Free Member

All good stuff, especially when Contador attacked and it REALLY pissed Armsting off 🙂

I cant stand the media **** though who normally write about Wendyball and when its not on they get put onto something else. Some tit in the Times yesterday was slagging off cycling about doping etc.

****, cycling is the most tested sport going, Armstrong on stage 3 got tested 3 times in 24h! How many times do the coke heads (allegedly dont want STW getting in trouble do we ;)) who kick round a bag of air get tested?

Hmmmm?

hora
    Free Member

Armstrong wont win. Not a chance and Im a Lance fan. Im well chuffed that hes up at the front at this stage. I always said if he finishes 3rd I will be over the moon and in the top 10 is very respectable for someone who has taken a 4yr break at his age. Hes got nothing to prove. Nothing. Hes racing for fun IMO but from the media etc I'm assuming that deep down theres a black-soul hellbent on winning even if the body is weak(er).

AndyP
    Free Member

I don't think there's any real contest between the 2 when it comes down to it. Contador is leagues better than Armstrong. But hey, each to their own opinion and all that.

I can't decide whether the course so far has been a waste of time, or a real stroke of genius. The TTT has skewed the GC so badly that you can pretty much write off any of the other contenders unless Contador has a shocker of a day or crashes out. And yet, and yet…we see the rare spectacle of Evans attacking, because he HAS to. That has to be a good thing surely. Likewise Shleck the even younger…HAS to make a big move some time. Looking forward to the Alps in a big way. But, the Pyrenees seem to have been mostly wasted. Only 1 summit finish? Trying to keep things 'interesting' till the Ventoux? Not worked I'm afraid…without the TTT that would have been interesting.

From another forum – the GC as it would be without the TTT…crikey, this would have been fascinating!

1 Rinaldo Nocentini (Ita) AG2R La Mondiale -0:01:54
    2 Tony Martin (Ger) Team Columbia – HTC -0:00:05
    3 Alberto Contador Velasco (Spa) Astana 0:00:00
    4 Lance Armstrong (USA) Astana 0:00:02
    5 Brice Feillu (Fra) Agritubel 0:00:03
    6 Bradley Wiggins (GBr) Garmin – Slipstream 0:00:22
    7 Cadel Evans (Aus) Silence – Lotto 0:00:26
    8 Levi Leipheimer (USA) Astana 0:00:33
    9 Luis León Sánchez Gil (Spa) Caisse d'Epargne 0:00:41
    10 Mikel Astarloza Chaurreau (Spa) Euskaltel – Euskadi 0:00:47
    11 Andreas Klöden (Ger) Astana 0:00:48
    12 Vincenzo Nibali (Ita) Liquigas 0:00:50
    13 Vladimir Efimkin (Rus) AG2R La Mondiale 0:00:51
    14 Christian Vande Velde (USA) Garmin – Slipstream 0:01:00
    15 Andy Schleck (Lux) Team Saxo Bank 0:01:03
    16 Sandy Casar (Fra) Française des Jeux 0:01:06
    17 Carlos Sastre Candil (Spa) Cervelo Test Team 0:01:09
    18 Maxime Monfort (Bel) Team Columbia – HTC 0:01:16
    19 Linus Gerdemann (Ger) Team Milram 0:01:26
    20 Roman Kreuziger (Cze) Liquigas 0:01:36
    21 Fränk Schleck (Lux) Team Saxo Bank 0:01:39
    22 Kim Kirchen (Lux) Team Columbia – HTC 0:02:11
    23 Vladimir Karpets (Rus) Team Katusha 0:02:20
    24 Denis Menchov (Rus) Rabobank 0:02:36
    25 Alexandre Botcharov (Rus) Team Katusha 0:03:31
    26 Yaroslav Popovych (Ukr) Astana 0:03:57

hora
    Free Member

I don't think there's any real contest between the 2 when it comes down to it. Contador is leagues better than Armstrong.

Agree. rewind them both to the early 00's. Contador would be runner up like all the rest.

warton
    Free Member

I don't think the alps are looking that good either, theres no stage with 2 or 3 monster HC climbs on, and ventoux is the only mountain top finish.

AndyP
    Free Member

Agree. rewind them both to the early 00's. Contador would be runner up like all the rest.
    hmm, not so sure. Be a close contest though.

aracer
    Free Member

Sorry but i can't understand how Armstrong can win this, he doesn't ride as strong a TT as Contraband, and he can't climb as fast

What exactly is everybody basing the theory that Armstrong is slower in a TT and in the hills on? Just on the "prologue" TT and one attack in Andorra? Yes Contador might be ahead on that basis, but the gap in the TT certainly wasn't big enough for it to be totally implausible for Armstrong to turn it around after a couple of weeks. Meanwhile if you think that attack in Andorra proved anything much, you really don't understand bike racing – Armstrong's reaction afterwards suggested very strongly to me that Contador didn't get all of that gap on Armstrong purely because he actually had better legs. There's also a reasonable case to suggest that given his broken collarbone (?) earlier in the year Lance was still riding himself into form at the start.

Contador is still the favourite, but only marginally. I see no reason at all to think Lance can't win it.

Taz

I'm with you aracer.

Reckon Armstong did not chase Contador based on etiquette. Pulling other teams leaders back onto Contador's wheel would have been 'bad patter'

That said of course I am just speculating as we will probably never really know.

Junkyard
    Free Member

armstrong looked like he could have tried to follow and he had certainly not cracked at that point. He was following team orders at the time unlike Contrador. I supect Armstrong will push him hard but not quite win it
    Either way very impressive given age and break. Do the doubters still suspect he was just a drug cheat or actually a great athlete?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 96 total)

The topic ‘Armstrong / Contador’ is closed to new replies.