• This topic has 68 replies, 35 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Taz.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)
  • Armstrong (SPOILER)
  • epicyclo

Anyone eating their words yet?

He’s not a dead duck yet, eh?

postierich
    Free Member

Not in yellow though 🙁

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Early days yet – anyway with teh chemicals in his system I won’t be suprised if he wins

*runs away*

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    crazy-legs

Oh FFS, how many “Lance” or “Armstrong” threads do we need?! There’s at least 3 on the front page now…

warton
    Free Member

TandemJeremy,

oh actually I can’t be bothered to get into it.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Can’t wait to see what happens on Friday, first day in the Mountains 🙂

thefallguy
    Free Member

perhaps a bloke on a tandem will steam past…?

hilldodger
    Free Member

“anyway with teh chemicals in his system….”

so, clean yet are we Mr Jeremy? Or still full of residuals, that crank never really leaves your system you know…………..

trail_rat
    Free Member

not eating my words yet ….

i believed in him – i even bet money on him winning…… **** wouldnt take my money when he broke his collar bone though ! Knew the odds would be sky high due to uncertainty of a start …

IdleJon

Nobody’s eating their words yet because it was a TTT – his team got him into 2nd place. It proves nothing other than he was in the right place yesterday and Contador wasn’t.

We still need to wait until the mountains or individual TT to really find out how strong he is.

AndyP
    Free Member

that’s pretty much sewn up the Tour for Contador. Evans, Menchov way off the pace, Shleck has lost a fair chunk of time. All over bar the shouting…

Ed2001
    Free Member

After 4 days the tour is sewn up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!WTF ARE YOU ON ABOUT

AndyP
    Free Member

WTF ARE YOU ON ABOUT
    Sorry: The Tour de France.

Ed2001
    Free Member

and how is it sewn up after 4 days?

AndyP
    Free Member

Read earlier post.
    1999 tour was sewn up after 2 days, FWIW.

Ed2001
    Free Member

No it wasn’t! Also much stronger GC in 2009 than in 1999, US postal wasn’t a divided squad unilke Astana and the mess at that causeway splitting the field had big effect on GC contenders which isn’t sewing a race up. 1999 didnt have the ventoux at the end of it either! you can look back at a race and say that was the impact day on the GC but you cant say any grand tour race after 4 days its sewn up!

AndyP
    Free Member

yes I can.

zeus
    Free Member

Lance who?

——————–
    Live fast, take chances!
    http://www.iRideAfrica.com

crazy-legs

There’s no way the Tour is even remotely close to being sewn up. Anything can happen between now and Paris: crashes, bad days, team tactics (or team power struggles…), even after just 4 days it’s showing it’ll be a fantastic Tour!

squin
    Free Member

James (CL), Of course it’s sewn up in the same way that any ride that you and I have ever gone on has always been me dragging your sorry arse around – Keep up!

IdleJon

crazy-legs – Member
    There’s no way the Tour is even remotely close to being sewn up. Anything can happen between now and Paris: crashes, bad days, team tactics (or team power struggles…), even after just 4 days it’s showing it’ll be a fantastic Tour!

I’ve read that Pantani’s ghost is fired up and ready to make a spectral comeback, knocking Lance off at the top of Ventoux. Lance will run down the mountain naked screaming about ‘the spiders’ and Cadel Evans will be injected with Pantani’s Phantasmagorical Powerjuice, making up a deficit of 34 hours in one fell swoop, thus winning the race.

I can’t find the link sorry 🙁

AndyP
    Free Member

of course anything could happen in the next 2 weeks. Contador could crash. Shleck could get good at time trialling. Cavendish could sprint ahead and get a 3 hour lead on the Ventoux. Aliens could mindwash Contador so that he forgets how to ride a bike. All possible, if unlikely. (well, the Shleck one isn't possible)
    hence 'pretty much' sewn up, rather than completely. Armstrong appears to think the same according to his interview yesterday.

Best climber in the race puts nearly 2 minutes into his nearest rival – and nearly 3 into most others – before the race even hits the first cat 2 climb. All over bar the shouting.

Sandwich

As for being the best climber, he was rubbish in the Giro (as bad as Cavendish is). I doubt the success has not been chemically enhanced in the past.

clubber
    Free Member

he was rubbish in the Giro (as bad as Cavendish is)

Are you sure about that? How did he finish 12th? And come come the consensus is that he was actually one of the strongest in the last week?

anagallis_arvensis

Cant see him riding away from Contador on the mountains, I could be wrong but thats why its exciting, and Contador beat him in the first TT.

clubber
    Free Member

Agree with that. I'm sure that Contador can't wait for the first mountain where he'll do an explosive attack to try and kill off LA's challenge for good early on.

ski
    Free Member

Rather than start another LA/TDF post 😉

Does anyone have a link to some decent live feeds?

Ta.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

I'm impressed with his form, I'll admit.

But we're just 4 stages in and the mountains are yet to come. 40 seconds, or even 3 minutes down to Cadel is nothing in the mountains.

That said Contador looks like he is getting pretty hot headed, so its not outside the realms of reason that he'll try something stupid. Whatever you say about Lance, he is too cool and calculated to squander his rivals misfortune.

Its going to be a good tour 🙂

epicyclo

I reckon the Lance/Contador thing is all worked out already.

There's no way Armstrong hasn't planned this all out.

My guess is that Lance will be handed some stage wins while Contador goes for the GC.

clubber
    Free Member

ski – have a look at cyclingfans.com – they constantly update with active feeds.

anagallis_arvensis

That said Contador looks like he is getting pretty hot headed

Hows that then?

Like has been said the smart thing for Astana to do would be to pretend they have two team leaders and to send Armstrong on the attack early in the mountains and let the other teams expend themselves chasing him only for contador to swoop later….. is that whats happening or is Lances ego getting in the way.

clubber
    Free Member

Epicyclo – I reckon that's what will happen but I don't agree for a moment that Lance will let that happen if he has any choice in the matter. If he can peg Contador (or even beat him…) then I don't doubt for a second that he will do. Can you seriously imagine Lance letting someone else win if he reckons he could?

trickydisco
    Free Member

All live stuff here

Watched all the stages so far from this site

john_l
    Free Member

I think Andy's talking about Contador, not Armstrong.

Pieface

Much as I admire him I'm going to be supporting Bradley Wiggins this year. Don't know much but I guess this being his first tour may disappoint.

glenp
    Free Member

Very impressive, although there was an element of luck in being in the right place at the right time when the breakaway went. Contador made a mistake all the same.

TTT was just great – irony of ironies that Armstrong was 5th man and sat up as he went over the line – had he just dipped for line he'd be in yellow and very much winding Contador up for two days.

Friday is the big day – 220-odd km and virtually all of it uphill. Armstrong won't exactly be relegated to carrying water after that, but I'm sure he'll get a wake-up call.

AndyP
    Free Member

Don't know much but I guess this being his first tour may disappoint.
    you certainly don't know much!

jimmy

I reckon the Lance/Contador thing is all worked out already.

There's no way Armstrong hasn't planned this all out.

totally agree

Ed2001
    Free Member

I still think Andy is talking nonesense ( not about a contador win, very possible, just the sewn up bit), not sure about all his aliens crap but

Contador could miss a break ( Oh hang on he's already done that on Monday)
    He could bonk ( Oh hang on he did that in Paris Nicethis year and lost shed loads of time)
    This is on top of the having a mechanical, fall, illness, team implosion etc etc
    Its like going and watching a football match seeing a team score in the first few minutes and then saying they have won the game.

AndyP
    Free Member

Its like going and watching a football match seeing a team score in the first few minutes and then saying they have won the game.

almost. it's like seeing a very very good team score 5 in the first few minutes, against a very very poor team.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘Armstrong (SPOILER)’ is closed to new replies.