Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Armchair lawyers – advice on contract automatically continuing
  • richcc
    Free Member

Just over two years ago I paid for some webspace for 2 years. Never really had the time to develop the site and so pretty much forgot about it. Got a nag email from the hosting company saying the renewal was up, they’d tried to charge my card and couldn’t because it had expired. Didn’t really think any more of it and assumed they’d jsut kill the site and that would be that.

Finally got around to it today, told them I didn’t need it any more and got told that I’d have to clear a bill for £66 for the next two years hosting before they’d close my account. Pointed me to a clause in the Ts and Cs saying that all cancelations needed to be 30 days in advance of the two year period in writing else they automatically continue and bill you. I think this is sharp practice but wondered if I’ve a serious/legal basis for disputing it.

If not then I’ll pay it and be the proud owner of streamlinedotnetsucks.co.uk for the next two years!

BigDummy
    Free Member

I think you’re going to be paying it I’m afraid. It’s a great domain name to have.

Shandy
    Free Member

We’ve got out of a few renewals on the basis that the initial contract had finished and the supplier hadn’t incurred any cost in continuing the service.

richcc
    Free Member

Talking to consumer direct about “inertia selling” which they seem to take a dim view of. Thanks for responses.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Armchair lawyers – advice on contract automatically continuing’ is closed to new replies.