• This topic has 15 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by julzm.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Arm Pump Solved
  • howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Well not quite but anyhow, what with my relentless obsession for all things cool and enduro , I’ve put moto foam on my bike, ‘do you even drift bro’ stickers on my helmet and now the final piece of the puzzle is complete.

Tried horizontal brake levers at the bike park today . Arm pump was really reduced . Totz recommended

baddddad
    Free Member

Moving my levers in an inch so I always brake with one finger did it for me (just one top tip from my day with Jedi)

Onzadog
    Free Member

Yep. Relaxes the shoulders, puts the weight behind the bars rather than on top.

The old thing of forearms/hands/fingers in line is actually from road bikes in the drops where it makes perfect sense.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Yep, Neil donoghue showed me the error of my ways 5 years or go and ever since arm-pump has been “other people’s problems”. Well unless my Mojo goes and I end up gripping the bars like I’m trying to arm wrestle Mr. T.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I mean I never had them in line, but certainly not flat either. Loved it

scotroutes

Fewer lever/top tube interfaces too.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’ve not gone flat, but noticeably flatter than most.

speedstar

I find it’s either arm pump or quad pump. Slight hijack but anyone any tips on how to remain in the attack position for longer than 5-10 minutes without acute cramp in the quads setting in? It’s particularly bad on the rear leg which I assume is bearing more weight..

jamesoz

Try and swap leading foot and on the easier bits straighten the legs.

Onzadog
    Free Member

^^^^ This. practice riding switch on smoother trails before you need it.

roverpig

Did a skills course recently and the simplest but most effective thing he got me to do was descend with straighter legs (and a flatter back). Obviously you need to bend them at various points, but I was riding the whole descent basically squatting and that was killing my quads after a few minutes.

gwurk
    Free Member

Slight hijack but anyone any tips on how to remain in the attack position for longer than 5-10 minutes without acute cramp in the quads setting in?

10 minutes?
    Wow!
    Try not being weak.

speedstar

10 minutes?
    Wow!
    Try not being weak.

I tried that but no success sadly. Reversing the foot it is!

Onzadog
    Free Member

The other thing that helps is using/moving the legs. It’s the static hold that’s taxing. Pump a bit, pedal a bit, swap them over.

singlespeedstu

There’s a fair few MX/SX riders that have had surgery to help prevent arm pump. 😯
    I doubt gwurk would need that though as being banned from her a few times deals with the arm pump problem…
    Appols if you’re not GW but you sure as hell come across like him. 🙂

julzm
    Free Member

Ive recently gone to ergon GD1 grips. They’re tapered and a come in two different diameters – slim and standard. I thought it would be marketing hype but they really did make an instant marked difference. I got the slim as I’m a S-M in gloves.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Arm Pump Solved’ is closed to new replies.