Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Arkose owners – size advice
  • dbukdbuk
    Free Member

i may well order an Arkose 5 tomorrow but still unsure of sizing.

At 5’10” I’m right at the top end of a medium or right at the bottom end of a large according to the size guide. If you’re about my size, what are you riding?

Any advice appreciated.

breadcrumb

I’m about 5’9″ on a medium, a large would be way too big/long for me I reckon.

mcnultycop

I’m 177cm, so just under 5’10” in old money.

I’m long in the body and short in the leg so I wanted the reach of the L. I don’t have much seatpost showing though, and dropped the crank length to 170mm from 175mm. If I was a sensible proportion I’d have gone for a medium.

dbukdbuk
    Free Member

Thanks guys. I had been thinking large but now leaning towards medium.

Any more opinions?

soulbrother99
    Free Member

I’m about 6 foot two and the large is very large on me. Go for the Medium

MoreCashThanDash

I’m 5’9″ on a medium – spot on for me, large would be a bit stretched.

Mines a 2013 model, but assuming not changed too much.

Andy

In addition to reach I found headtube length a key measurement when choosing mine due to the limited amount of steerer the bike comes with.

dbukdbuk
    Free Member

Thanks all. Much appreciated. Looks like medium is the way to go but if anyone thinks differently please speak up with an opinion.

Cheers

dbukdbuk
    Free Member

I ordered a medium. Should be here tomorrow 🙂

jodafett

How are you getting on with the new bike? I’m the same height and am thinking of getting the same bike soon.

dbukdbuk
    Free Member

I like it 🙂

Swapped the bar tape for something thicker straight away. Put a 90mm stem om instead of the stock 80mm to give me a tad more reach. The tyres are a bit draggy on the road but that’s the compromise for off road grip. I’m planning to convert to tubeless but haven’t gotten around to it yet. It works pretty well off road though. Really quite capable with the 40mm tyres. The 1×11 gearing works ok around here (Chilterns), but if you lived somewhere really hilly you may want to change the ratio. Or not.

I haven’t ridden a large frame so can’t say how that would fit but I’m happy with the way the medium feels.

jodafett

Cheers. The 1×11 gearings putting me off the 5 so might just go for the 4 as my legs ain’t up to much! Its this or the CdF 20 but the spec on the Arkose is probably going to swing it for me.

dbukdbuk
    Free Member

You could always put a smaller chain ring on for hills but then that may limit you on the flats and downs. I do like 1×11 but admit it’s not necessarily the most versatile setup.

jodafett

I’ve a smaller chainring on my 1×10 MTB which I struggle with! The 2×11 sounds nice and easy appealling 🙂

Kahurangi

Any additional info from you guys?

I’m half way between dbukdbuk and mcnultycop size-wise. 5’10.5″ and slightly long torso. I’d rather go up a size and drop the stem… or would I?

I would just go and sit on one, but Evans Gateshead only have funny sizes in and want a £60 deposit (refunded if you buy it) to order a bike in 👿 so I can’t get 2 bikes and and pick one without it costing me!!

Evans do offer a 30 day bike swap guarantee, but if I get one, there’s no guarantee that the other size will be too far the other way!

I’m going to have to get really nerdy with geometry charts aren’t I?

The difference form M to L is +15 mm on the ETT and +10 mm on the stem. You’re really pushing it if you buy a L and need to turn it in to a M 😕

mtbtomo
    Free Member

I’m 5ft 10 and went for a large. The effective top tube was the same as my race bikes and the head tube a bit longer, so the bars are higher.

I wanted to run a taller headtube without spacers rather than a shorter headtube with spacers.

No regrets.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Arkose owners – size advice’ is closed to new replies.